October 21, 2014 | 977 users online

Crème - Milani - Smooth Finish Makeup

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

The compact is nice to have. I was looking for a cream/creme foundation at the time. I've finally decided that maybe they aren't for me. Cream always looks streaky when I use a brush, it's always obvious I'm wearing it, and it budges/does not stay. This wasn't an exception to that. On top of that the coverage is maybe a medium at most. You really can't build this up. I have problems with under eye circles, redness under my nostrils, broken capillaries, darkness at the corners of my mouth, and small spots of acne. This will not cover those and if you try it'll be for a short bit then they'll be showing again.

I left this at a 3 'cause I'm sure someone out there barely needs anything on their skin and they look great. This is perfect for them. I am not one of those people though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Color: I use Buff, which I think may be the lightest color, and it matches my skin well. Not too dark, too pale or too orange but just right (I guess I'm the Goldilocks of foundation now?). Happily this leans more neutral than pink.

Finish: Medium coverage, as listed on the package, is accurate. I still have to use concealer on spots and undereye. It has a very even looking finish and dries quite quickly. Not so quickly that you can't blend it though, and it doesn't have a powdery/chalky look at all. Looks quite natural and mostly matte.

Texture/Formula: Somewhat creamy but not greasy, and feels very lightweight. I would not say that this is buildable. If you need more coverage, you should probably go elsewhere because if you try to layer this it can look cakey. You know how some foundations just feel like they are weighing down your skin and pores? This doesn't. I forget that it's on. Oil-free is a nice perk. Has not caused any irritation, redness or breakouts on my reactive, sensitive/combination skin.
NOTE: this can be a bear about highlighting dry patches and I would not recommend it for those with dry skin. It consistently emphasizes dry skin I didn't even know I had and brings out flakiness.

Plays Well With Others: Decent. Doesn't reject or overly absorb my bronzer or blush, or cause it to turn odd colored. My concealer sometimes slips off it through, if applied on top, or can roll a bit if I apply this over it.

Longevity: Lasts 8 hours without oxidizing or fading. Can get smeary on oilier areas of skin.

Quantity: One drawback of this is that I hit pan (just a little, but still) after the first week of using it! I guess the compact is pretty shallow, even if it looks big from the outside because of the sponge reservoir underneath.

Price/Packaging: $8.99 is not bad at all. The packaging is typical Milani in look and colors and the compact includes a sponge, the foundation pan and a mirror (typical compact setup these days). Like many cream compacts this one picks up all the lint, eyelash hairs, etc. that float by so it gets a little grody in that way.

I would recommend this to those who with normal skin who like cream-to-powder foundations but not to very dry-skinned or very oily girls. I would give this an overall rating of 3.5 if we could do half scores.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2013 8:47:00 PM More reviews by MilenaBR

This is my first cream-to-powder foundation so far and I'm very very happy with it. The coverage is surprisingly good, I was expecting light but I'd say it's medium. I don't feel it highlights pores or fine lines and I feel it holds my T-zone pretty decently for 4-6 hours.
Excellent for hot and on-a-hurry days!
I'm NC 25-30 and I've found "Medium Beige" to be a very good match.
Recommend it!
Update - Just a quick add: I've said nothing about the smell before. It's a very unexpected smell of sweet pipe tobacco. It's wierd, but I like it.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by abbyabrams

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like the coverage that can be achieved with this foundation. It can be applied with a light or heavy hand, and is buildable as well. I use both 07 and 09 since my skintone falls somewhere in between. I use the flat-top buffer brush to apply as recommended by a previous reviewer. It makes it look much more natural than using the sponge provided, and the product lasts longer as well. My favorite thing about this product is that I DO NOT get "the oilies" at all while wearing it. I used to be addicted to blotting papers to keep my makeup matte, but I don't need to use them anymore. A couple of negatives are that it is scented and that the color will transfer very easily (be careful giving hugs). Fortunately the scent disappears quickly and has not yet irritated my skin. Price can't be beat, especially when CVS has a sale.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2012 12:36:00 AM More reviews by RachelnLuke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This Milani foundation BURNS my skin. I really love the color, I wish it didn't burn me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/25/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by leoisillon

I bought this compact just to try out and see if I liked it. I was searching for something that I could use on those days I didn't feel like wear liquid foundation but I still needed the coverage. I bought mine in "07-Medium Beige" and have for the most part really enjoyed it. It goes on so smooth and blends very well. The color almost perfectly matches my skin tone, although I noticed that by the end of the day it tends to oxidize and turn either brownish grey color or just grey (which is whatver since it's usually after about 6-8 hrs.) I wouldn't call this a long wearing foundation by any means but it's decent for the price. The packaging is qute bulky and it comes with a mirror and sponge that I replace regularly for sanitary purposes. It does have a flowery scent that fades after time so if you are senstive to scents you may want to skip this one. All in all I'd maybe repurchase because it wasn't that bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 9:56:00 AM More reviews by TwirlyGirly1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

First let me explain Milani has always been a "hit-or-miss" brand for me. Over the years, I've purchased several Milani products from my local CVS, and most of them I have returned. So, Milani is NOT the first brand I look to for my makeup needs.

However, I recently tested, and fell in love with, BeneFit's "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" cream-to-powder foundation. Now that I'm older, I've realized I have to work a bit harder to get that flawless, radiant skin we're all looking for. Slapping on a coat of full-coverage foundation doesn't work, and results in a cakey, mask-like finish. I've discovered using a lighter products, carefully selected to address my skin's needs, is the way to go.

I have combination skin. My forehead, my nose, and my cheeks near my nose become oily throughout the day. The rest of my face is "normal." Thankfully, I don't have any age spots...yet...and my skin tone is fairly even. I do have deep hollows under both eyes which appear (due to shadows) as dark circles. I also have fine lines under both eyes.

"Some Kind-a Gorgeous" seemed to provide the right level of coverage (sheer to light - it's buildable), the right finish (matte), and kept the "oilies" at bay for 3-4 hours (when applied over BeneFit's "Dr. Feelgood.").

However, at 29.00 (85.00/oz) it was more than I wanted to spend. Bear in mind I *will* spend that amount for a product that works that well for me, but only if I can't find a comparable product at a lower price point.

So, while browsing CVS the other day, I decided to take a look and see if any drugstore brands offer a similar product to "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." Because of previous negative experiences with Milani, that was the last brand I looked at. I almost missed this product, as it was on the side of the Milani display, not the front.

Frankly, I vascillated for quite awhile when deciding whether to buy "Smooth Finish Foundation." Knowing it would be easy to return the product if I didn't like it is what finally convinced me to give it a try.

While BeneFit offers only 3 shades of "Some Kind-a Gorgeous," Milani sells "Smooth Finish Foundation" in *12* shades on their website. My CVS had 4 shades in stock, including one (medium beige) that is an exact match for the BeneFit product in "medium."

When comparing "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" to "Smooth Finish Foundation," I used the same products to prep my skin (light moisturizer, then BeneFit's "Dr. Feelgood.") I applied the product with a synthetic flat-top buffer brush (I wouldn't use the sponge supplied with the products, as I prefer the finish a brush provides AND sponges waste far too much product, IMO.)

I immediately realized the coverage of "Smooth Finish Foundation" is a bit heavier than "Some Kind-a Gorgeous," so I can use less product for the same end result. This will be good news for those of you looking for more coverage than "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" supplies. Like the BeneFit product, the Milani is buildable.

"Smooth Finish Foundation" sets to a powder finish quickly enough, but not so fast you don't have time to work with it. It doesn't look "cakey" nor does it settle into fine lines.

I completed my look with BeneFit's "Erase Paste" on those dark circles, a light touch of BeneFit's "Girl Meets Pearl" over the "Erase Paste" for luminosity (which I just recently discovered really helps in disguising dark circles), a bit of blush and some of BeneFit's "Hoola" bronzing powder.

At that point, "Some Kind-a Gorgeous" and "Smooth Finish Foundation" had performed, and looked, identical. The real revelation came about 4 hours later, when I checked my mirror and prepared to touch-up those oily spots...my forehead and nose....and discovered I had NO oily spots to touch up!!

As a matter of fact, even at the 8 hour mark, the overall look while not completely matte, definitely looked more "dewy" than "greasy," even in my "problem areas."

In examining the ingredient lists for both products, I think the difference may lie in the fact the Milani "Smooth Finish Foundation" has more silica (an oil-absorbing ingedient) in its formula than "Some Kind-a Gorgeous." Thus, if you have oily or combination skin you may find "Smooth Finish Foundation" works better for you than BeneFit's "Some Kind-a Gorgeous."

All in all, for my skin Milani's "Smooth Finish Foundation" performs better than "Some Kind-a Gorgeous," and it's less than 1/3 the price. Unless and until Milani discontinues this product, I will be choosing and using it instead of Benefit's product.

15 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by osoblondeoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation in a sort of emergency since an event came up and I did not have any foundation on me. Before hand I want to mention that I have acne prone skin and it is a challenge to find a foundation that will not break me out. I would not recommend this product for someone who suffers from acne or has oily acne prone skin. Less that 24 hours after using the product several pimples surfaced and my face felt terrible. This make up is extremely oily and clogged up my skin terrible. I also do not like the packaging as it is not very sanitary.

If you are looking for a drug store foundation that will not break you out this is not the one! I suggest you try the Neutrogena line that is aimed for acne prone skin.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2011 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Aurora901

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this in Walnut. On Milani's website it looks like a dark chocolate but, in real life the colour is more like a milky chocolate with orange undertones ( Milani's website does not show the tone well).

It is very bendable foundation. It manages to go well with the dark and light areas of my face. A light application is needed to quickly even out the skin tone and perfect your base. It has a perfume scent which someone said reminds them of hair grease (lol) I can understand but, I kind of like it. This foundation is oil-free and thus, suitable for oilier girls (yeah!). This foundation can have the tendency to look orange if thickly applied. I use the Elf powder Brush to dab the product on and then swirl across my face - when I put it on, no one guesses I'm wearing make up (hehe). I will buy it again in the same shade and another. Bonus = the foundation comes in a neat compact with a mirror and huge sponge (I don't use the sponge but it nice to have).

Oh and another thing. The consistency texture is lovely and smooth and it feels really nice to put it on. It makes foundation application fun and enjoyably for me anyway.

This is possible love. A great easy even tone correcting foundation. One of the most reasonable priced foundation I have bought. What's not to like? I've hit pan already so I will get some more. Recommend this to you all !!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 8:59:00 AM More reviews by palladiojunkie101

I know that i have sworn by alot of products on this site but i have recently discovered the Milani product line and the shades that i thought were not right for my skin were. It is easier for me to use creme and it looks fantastic on my skin. My father actually commented on how great my skin looked. it is in the in between price range of waht i have been using, but well worth the price. I have already reccommended this to everyone i know who ready to try something knew.