April 17, 2014 | 931 users online

Moisturizers - Mario Badescu - Control Cream [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 1 of 5 on 2/8/2014 11:59:00 AM More reviews by fifitrixiebelle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Many thanks to BellaMonkey. Subsequent to reading her review, I rec'd, as an MB customer, the following email. Thanks to Bella, I never bought this particular product. I am grateful she took the time to write her detailed review, and save me and many others from going through what she did.

Healing and Control Cream Settlement Administrator
Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:00 AM
    IF YOU BOUGHT MARIO BADESCU HEALING CREAM OR CONTROL CREAM AT
    ANY TIME SINCE FEBRUARY 15, 2009
    You Could Get One or Two $45 Certificates from a Proposed Class Action Settlement
    Proposed class action settlement - lawsuit claims Mario Badescu violated state & federal laws re marketing and sale of Healing Cream and Control Cream by allegedly failing to disclose all ingredients used. Mario Badescu denies any liability.
    Settlement has been agreed to in which MB has agreed to issue $45.00 certificates to consumers who purchased MB Healing Cream or Control Cream since February 15, 2009. MB has also agreed to change the future labeling, advertising, and marketing of Healing Cream and Control Cream on a going forward basis. In addition, the Class Counsel will be seeking $1,200,000 for their fees and costs. Full details about the proposed Settlement are in the settlement agreement (called the “Stipulation of Settlement” and available at www.healingandcontrolcreamsettlement.com).
    Submit a Claim Form online at www.healingandcontrolcreamsettlement.com or by mail by April 7, 2014.
    If you are a Class Member, you may (1) do nothing, (2) exclude yourself, (3) send in a Claim Form, (4) object to the Settlement, or (5) go to a hearing about the fairness about the proposed Settlement.
    If you don’t want to be bound by the Settlement, you must exclude yourself by letter postmarked no later than February 26, 2014. If you exclude yourself, you can’t get a Certificate, but you can be part of another lawsuit against Defendants about the claims in the lawsuit. If you stay in the Class, you may submit a Claim Form and/or object to the Settlement. Claim Forms must be submitted by April 7, 2014. Objections must be filed with the Court and served on the Settlement Administrator, Class Counsel, and Defense Counsel by no later than February 26, 2014.
    Court will hold a hearing in this case on May 13, 2014 at 2:30 p.m. in the Superior Court of the State of California Los Angeles County, 600 South Commonwealth, Los Angeles, California 90005, to consider approval of the Settlement, payment of attorneys fees and expenses to lawyers for the Class, and incentive fees of up to a total of $5,000 for Class Representatives, and related issues. Motion(s) by Class Counsel for those fees, costs, and incentive awards will be available on Settlement website after are filed and before above hearing.
    Detailed notice at www.healingandcontrolcreamsettlement.com or call 1-866-329-4703, write to the Settlement Administrator at PO Box 3078, Faribault, MN 55021-2678, or e-mail the Settlement Administrator at info@healingandcontrolcreamsettlement.com for complete instructions on how to file a claim, object, or exclude yourself from the Settlement, and other important information.
    continued >>

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/24/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by BellaMonkey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

STAY AWAY FROM ALL MB PRODUCTS. Read on...

I used Mario Badescu Control Cream for about 10 years. I was introduced to it by my sister, an executive with a luxury cosmetic brand, who considered it a Holy Grail product and mentioned it in almost every interview she gave. I, too, considered it an HG product and bought several tubs a year. I used it for mild facial eczema & irritations, rashes from the sun, insect bites, you name it. I recommended it to friends with rosacea and allergies, I recommended it for babies and children (and even used it on my own baby a few times). Because it was an "herbal, natural" cream, I felt virtuous and safe. I wasn't using corticosteroids to manage my skin, I had magical Control Cream!

Fast-forward to sometime this past Spring (2013). My sister and I, who live in separate places, mentioned to one another that our skin was "acting strange." It was itchy, blotchy, sensitive, sometimes burned, swollen…it was painfully dry and wouldn't seem to absorb any moisture (not vaseline, not coconut oil, not CeraVe, nothing). Strangely, not even our beloved Control Cream was helping. One morning she woke up with her eyes swollen shut. A doctor diagnosed her with seasonal allergies. She eventually replaced all her bed linens too, thinking dust mites might be contributing.

My skin worsened over the course of a few months too. Eventually I couldn't use any moisturizers at all, except for vaseline. It hurt to wash my face. Topical cortisone cream helped some, but I didn't want to use it on my face for too long (for all the reasons I'd avoided it all these years: skin thinning, etc.) A few weeks ago, it got out of control --the skin on my face was blistering, peeling, oozing, itching, burning, blotching -- in a word, horrifying. Like, couldn't leave the house horrible.

To make a long story short (too late), in doing frantic online research, my sister ended up coming across a group of people on Amazon.com who were suffering similar skin problems after using Control Cream. It was determined (via an article in The Korean Times) that CC was pulled in Korea by the Korean FDA for containing strong (UNLABELED) topical corticosteroids. Shortly thereafter, the product was silently removed from U.S. shelves, and apparently reformulated without the "magic ingredient" (the very same ingredient many people were using it to avoid). Many people who were long (or even not-so-long) users of the original CC suffered extremely bad reactions when they suddenly stopped using the topical corticosteroids it contained. My sister and I were 2 such people. The skin reactions we've been dealing with are far, far worse than any irritations we may have once used CC to treat.

We are both currently under the care of a dermatologist -- I have severe Perioral Dermatitis as a direct result of topical steroid use (that I used unwittingly in the CC all those years!). My sister has a variety of skin conditions for the same reason. I am on antibiotics and topical preparations for 2 months.

To say I am disgusted, shocked, disappointed, furious with Mario Badescu for this long-term deception is all a huge understatement. I am posting this here to tell anyone using their products: BEWARE. I would not trust ANY Mario Badescu product again, ever. If you are suffering ill effects from the reformulation of Control Cream, I strongly suggest you see a doctor and tell him/her your skin is going through withdrawal from topical corticosteroids you were unaware you'd been using.

Please get in touch if you suffered a reaction from the reformulation. You can find more of us here: amazon.com/review/R2C14QW9V458VP
    There is a long thread you can read through.

38 out of 40 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2013 2:30:00 AM More reviews by NJchick

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

BellaMonkey is right. It was not the reformulation of this product that has caused reactions (as MB would like it's consumers to believe), but the fact that the original product likely contained undisclosed corticosteroids which the new formula does not contain. The 'reaction' is from not applying corticosteroids which one's skin becomes accustomed to after long-term use. It took all of us consumers who got duped by this horrible, unethical company to figure it out (we all 'met up' through a post I'd started on Amazon, but now we all understand that we are suffering from topical steroid withdrawal (TSW)). If you have experienced issues after you stopped using this product or bought a new batch around March 2013 that 'didn't seem to work', please file a report online with the FDA and please get in touch with me rustirestaino@gmail.com. Those of us who have been suffering through this do not plan to go away quietly.

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by averge

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product! I have rosacea and cannot tolerate most products. This saves my life when I'm having a flare up of red/itchy skin, which tends to happen in the winter. This instantly soothes and moisturizes. I apply it under their herbal serum for a good moisture boost. It's rather cheap for a jar that lasts for quite a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by WMH22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this product. I had a bout with extremely dry eyelids and came across some reviews on this cream while looking for some relief. It worked so well on my eyes, I began using it on the rest of my face as well. My skin looks much better, clearer and more even toned as a result. Sadly, I went to reorder it on the Mario Badescu website only to find it was no longer on there. I called the company and they said they have discontinued the current formula but should have a replacement some time this year. :-( Hopefully it will work as good as the original....

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2013 10:41:00 PM More reviews by hedge272

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used to love this cream. At first, it really helped sooth the redness of my face and helped with acne. As time went on, its effectiveness lessened. When I had used up all the cream, I'd think about not getting it again. But my face became so dry and itchy, I had to get the cream. I'd feel immediate relief upon usage.

Now, I've really decided to quit this product. I've read other reviews about this product being addictive to your face. I really think it's true. My skin has been feeling extremely dry since I quit this cream. I'm trying to find more natural, organic products that aren't so addictive.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by jamboreeo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When my skin starts getting irritated, red, and when acne starts to pop up, I pull my control cream out. I use it only when my skin starts to act up. It is too heavy and thick for the day time but perfect for night time. I use a generous amount when my skin is going bonkers usually from that time of the month or if the weather is super dry from the winter. I use it for a few nights and my skin clears up and the redness calms down. However, if I use this too often consecutively, it can clog my pores so I only use when necessary. But this is one of my HG products and I will continue to purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2013 7:52:00 PM More reviews by phunkybtch

im not one to write reviews, but i love this cream. i've only been using it for 5 days, but i can already notice a difference! i think it has helped my face clear up and also wears well under my makeup. i'm not sure it has helped with my redness that much though... but hopefully after a few more uses i will be able to tell a difference. you have to rub it in for a while to get it to absorb into the skin but overall, great!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by ivyo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

**EDIT 1/25/14 Due to reports of this product containing undisclosed corticosteroid, I no longer recommend it. Who knows what other undisclosed ingredients they have in there. I had another dry itchy flaky eyelid attack last month, and instead of using the Control Cream which I still have, I used a teeny tiny amount of Aveeno 1% hydrocortisone cream for 2 applications (1 day only) and it solved the problem. Yes, it's still a type of corticosteroid but if it solves the issue with only a tiny amount, I'm willing to make the trade off rather than scratch my eyes out.

This is a miracle cream!! I was suffering from itchy, swollen, and very dry and flaky eyelids for weeks, and no amount of eye cream or moisturizer seemed to help. The skin around my eyes was so dry and wrinkly, it made me look 10 years older. I read about the Control Cream being effective for this condition. Although I was highly skeptical, I bought it anyway. Lo and behold, the itching stopped right away and I could see improvement to my skin just after 2 applications. Within 4 days, the dryness and wrinkles were GONE, and the skin around my eyes has been restored to its original smooth and plump condition. This cream is simply amazing!!
    Just a tip - apply very thin layer on the affected areas. Too much product will cause it to migrate into your eyes!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2013 10:58:00 PM More reviews by SwtSteph5417

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the ONLY product that helped my red, flaky, painful, dried out eyelids! One day I woke up and notice a little dry skin in the corners of my eyes. Didn't think much of it, just assumed it was the concealer I was wearing. Then it got worse. And red. And painful. To the point I went to the doctor hoping for some answers. He did nothing except give me a hydrocortisone cream, but after a few days I noticed it wasn't working first of all and second it was making my eyelids crepey. I stopped that and pretty much everything else. No makeup, face wash, lotion, nothing! The only things I was trying was eucerin(which I still use also) and Vaseline overnight. It still continued for four months. Almost killed me to not wear eye makeup. Lol. Anyway, I found a random review of this cream somewhere else and thought, what the heck. Within the first two applications the redness was way down and the pain was subsiding. Now the first application did burn a little, but don't get discouraged from using it, that's just the severely dehydrated skin. Within a week of twice daily use, it was gone! I've continued to use it morning and night after washing, and its been 5 months now. I hope this helps someone dealing with this horrible ailment.