September 22, 2014 | 1746 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Volumizing Tonic

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2013 11:07:00 PM More reviews by ecogbill

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have an oily scalp and fine, but thick, straight-ish hair. This volumizing tonic I purchased because while the bottom half of my hair gets frizzy and out of control, the roots collapse against my head and ugh, I look a fright. I also tend to run my fingers through my hair at the roots which makes it oilier and makes the whole problem much worse. I use this volumizing tonic straight out of the shower, whenever I remember (once or twice a week). It definitely adds volume, which seems to last for some time (2 days). It also seems to keep my hair less oily which is a nice bonus.

PROS:
-Easy to use
-Really does add quite a bit of volume to limp, fine hair at the roots
-Lasts for 2 days or so

CONS:
-Expensive for the amount you get
-Aveda products are kind of out of the way for me to purchase so I have to make a special trip

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by milkypop

I don't think i could live without this anymore. In a desperate bid to combat the crazy humidity where i live, i bought 3 volumising hair products within 2 weeks. First one was the Thickening cream by Marc Anthony, then the Bodifying cream by Percy & Reed and this is the last one. To start off, i have very superfine babyfine hair whatever you call it. You could hold up a strand in the light and it looks almost invisible. It falls flat from the top to the ends. I could spend an hour with a curling tong and when i go out, everything just collapses, even with hairspray.

I know they make mousses for this purpose but i hate the smell of it and it tickles my sensitive nose. Plus it could be a chore to wash out. So the first two cream-based products i bought worked. They worked for sure, in particular Marc Anthony (er, not Jennifer's ex-husband) who promised 10x volume. I did get Tina Turner-esque volume when i used it in wild abandon. The problem was, it felt really artificial and stiff, and it ended up tangling all my long (to the hip) hair. (I think this could work better for men or girls with short hair) I could probably deal with this in sacrifice for bigger hair once in a blue moon, but heaven, no, not everyday. And as the hours passed, by nighttime, the stiffness that once held the hair up became slightly greasy. Not great. The Percy & Reed cream is the same as Marc's, only to a lesser extent. It feels slightly more real, but also less hold and volume, and gets a little greasy at the end of the day too.

THEN! Comes this little gem. I trawled through ALL the reviews here and finally realised how this works. So what it does basically is to CUT all the unwanted grease in your scalp - that's the number 1 culprit for a flat and limp crown. So what happens is my scalp feels like it's super clean as if it's just been freshly and thoroughly cleansed by some very healthy, sulfate-free shampoo. And it feels like that for all day long. Adding to that, the top few ingredients are all flower extracts of some sort that sound fantastic for the scalp. Unlike the other two products, this is a clear liquid in a spray bottle. So i don't get 10x Tina Turner volume as i get with Marc's, but what i get is a fluffy and clean-feeling crown that i can run my fingers through all day long. And that's what this is for!

I won't elaborate on how to use this, but please read the review DIRECTLY below mine. This lady's got it all right.

Maybe i will go back to Marc if someday i desire to be Tina Turner, but for now, Aveda will help me achieve natural, fluffy crown on a daily basis. Thanks Aveda! I won't be without this!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 8:56:00 PM More reviews by anamatovska

This is an amazing product! I think people dont understand how to use or apply this. You only apply this to the roots but you have to put in on freshly washed or wet hair dont put it on top of mousse - this goes in first and spray a very CONSIDERABLE amount through the root area.
If you aren't finding luck with this chances are its not this product is another one your using. Try it on its own in the root area on freshly washed hair, no mousse nothing and blow dry. you will see a ridiculous amount of volume. Then the next time add the mousse or hair dry lotion or heat protectant..you may find that one of the other products is moisturising or has silicone in it ..by using a product like that you weight the hair down so when you use that in conjuction with this you wll blame this product. I have tried it on my mum who has permed thinnning hair, my best friend has horse tail thick hair and i have a lot of fine hair and i tworks a treat!!! Ive never had this much volume. ITS NOT THICKENING ITS FOR VOLUME.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by winniepup

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this when my hair is dry or damp, example after exercising at the gym, air drying, or after a shower when I wore a shower cap. I spray it all over, bend down and use a blow dryer for a minute or so. It makes my hair very full. It's the only volumizer that ever worked for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2012 12:58:00 AM More reviews by meeleessa

I can't go a day without using this product in my hair, no joke! After about a year of use, I found that the trick is to comb wet (closer to damp) hair and apply the tonic to the roots in sections or layers of your hair then massaging and spreading it around. Blow dry and you're done. Using this on dry hair has the opposite effect in my experience, not a good feeling.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2012 2:20:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

First of all, it is a voluminizing spray meant for the use in the roots. Spraying it in the other parts of the hair is useless or even ruinous, because you hair looks bad. Aveda has a special product for voluminizing the lenghts and I was asked by the hairdresser specifically, where I wanted to have the volume in my hair.
My hair is more oily in the roots, so itīs perfect for me if this spray dries them out a little.
Then, you got to use it before your hair dries too much. Spraying it on already half-dried hair leaves noting but a greasy feeling in my hair. I figured it out and always use the spray on wet hair and then blow-dry my hair. I simply blow-dry my hair headlong and sometimes, I use a round brush for extra volume. But either way, it works.
The result is fabulous, my hair looks voluminous and nice. I have lots of hair, but thin hair, so a spray does a good job for me.
I never tried it without blow-drying my hair or on dry hair, but I think itīs meant for using it before blow-drying your hair. I canīt imagine how the spray could work on dry hair.
It is expensive, but lasts me a long while. Other cheaper products just never voluminized, therefore, I never used them and finally , I threw them away.
It is one of the few voluminizing product that delivers. But you have to use it in the right way. Otherwise it doesnīt work, at least thatīs my experience.
And I donīt know how other hair-types might react to this product, because some of the reviewers complained, that it dries out the hair.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2012 11:28:00 AM More reviews by jmoore13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have always had straight and lifeless hair until now. A little spray of this product along my roots and I have a completely different head of hair! I mean, I didn't even know I had this much hair. You might think it is a bit expensive for the amount you receive but a little goes a long way. I find I only need to purchase once every 14 weeks. Really when you think of it, that is not that much. Besides the great volume this gives my hair, it also smells great, doesn't build up and doesn't flake or leave a film. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2012 4:11:00 PM More reviews by kimmie578

I have used this on and off through the years. It does exactly what it's name is: it volumizes your hair. I think it does a pretty decent job of doing that, without causing any build up.

My only hang up with this product is that I do notice my hair seems drier on days I use this. When I use it in conjunction with the Light Elements Smoothing Fluid some of the dryness seems to go away.

When I style my hair with the curling iron I use this product before blowing it dry and it does keep my curls looking bouncy and full all day.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This didn't volumize my hair at all. It's a thin liquid in a spray container that doesn't permit much product to spray out. The spray left my hair feeling gummy.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2011 1:43:00 PM More reviews by ashton

This is my favorite volumizing product that I've tried. I like it because it provides good volume for my hair without making my hair sticky or crunchy. It keeps my hair feeling soft and shiny. I find that it works best when you apply it to towel dried hair as opposed to dry hair which can give you the crunchy effect. The only thing I dislike about it is the packaging. For some reason when it gets close to the end it comes out in big drops rather than an evenly dispersed spray. Not enough for me to stop buying it though.