January 27, 2015 | 984 users online

Shampoo - Nature's Gate - Tea Tree Oil Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2015 5:59:00 AM More reviews by frippery

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I purchased an 18oz bottle of this for around $7 from drugstore.com.

I've only used once but so far i'm liking it.

- Despite the overwhelming fragrance coming from the bottle, this left just a faint scent of mint behind after my hair dried
- Was concerned it would be too bracing but i felt only a faint scalp tingle once my hair was dry
- the consistency is thin and easy to distribute. lots of lather
-left my hair felling very clean and full (albeit frizzy)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/22/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by goldieb19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My scalp is prone to irritation and oiliness (my hair normally looks greasy at the roots less than 24 hours after I wash it), but my ends are quite fragile and dry due to frequent heat styling and color processes, and I've found that shampoos containing tea tree oil are best at balancing my hair. My HG shampoo is the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo, but both the price and my proximity to an Ulta store or decent salon make it a bit impractical for me to purchase. When my local grocery store expanded last month to include a "healthy living" section with many natural bath and body products, this is one of the first items I noticed. The first thing that attracted me was the fact that this shampoo (in its current formulation) contains no parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or butylene glycol. The term "sulfate free", would normally make a greasy headed girl like me run in the opposite direction, but this shampoo contains enough natural cleansing agents (rosemary, for instance) that I thought I would give it a try. The price was also a major perk. I paid $7.99 for an 18 Oz bottle, whereas my beloved Paul Mitchell shampoo would be more than $20 for a bottle of the same size. I also love the smell. Many tea tree products are too perfumy and cloying, but this one is very earthly smelling. As for the overall effectiveness of this shampoo, I would definitely recommend it for normal to oily hair. Despite being SLS free, it actually lathers quite well and leaves my hair feeling very stripped if I don't follow up with at least a light conditioner, which is why I can't personally recommend it for those with super dry hair. This shampoo also keeps the itchiness and flaking at bay and was very soothing to my scalp, so it would be great for dandruff. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't clean my hair as well as the Paul Mitchell brand (which does contain sulfates), and it doesn't give my scalp that intense tingly feeling that I love. But I would still repurchase this if I were in a pinch.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by auntita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to like this product. I purchased it after ready such great reviews and have tried multiple products for my dry, flaky scalp. I actually love the smell of this (minty tea tree) but it's not for everyone. Unfortunately it doesn't lather as well as others and makes my hair feel dry and stripped. Not so bad after conditioning and drying but while washing it feels so squeaky that it's hard to run my fingers through to rinse. I also did not see any improvement on my scalp after an full bottle, which was the point of this shampoo.....soo, on to something new :(

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2014 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Karna2011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have really bad dandruff and I have tried many products and none of them seem to work very well. I started using Nature's Gate tea tree shampoo and conditioner couple of weeks ago and I've noticed my dandruff is getting better. I love the tea tree oil scent. I feel like my scalp is really clean but not dry after I use this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by carissytine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo makes my hair feel clean and does not dry out my scalp. It has a pleasant tea tree smell while not being overpowering and is fairly priced at about $8 a bottle. It makes my fine/straight hair soft and shiny. I would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 9:19:00 AM More reviews by evapop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Much like the war between my zits & wrinkles, there is now a war between the semi permanent color I use to cover my gray strands & my dandruff prone scalp.

Sexy.

In the past, I used Head & Shoulders extra strength on my scalp & hair. My hair is thick, wavy & pretty tough so as long as I conditioned after - all was good in the hood.

Then a couple years ago, I started getting a few random grays - all on my hairline & while truly a few, super noticeable against my level 3 hair. Problem was that H&S stripped the semi perm color.

Enter this amazing shampoo. It is my HG as it works on my dandruff BETTER than H&S, yet doesn't strip my color. It cleans and clarifies but without leaving my hair dried out. With consistent use, I am now down to shampooing once a week as my thick wavy hair doesn't get oily and now my scalp doesn't get itchy.

Yes - you need to condition afterwards, but if you have hair like mine - what shampoo don't you have to do that with afterwards?

Pros:
- great dandruff control - makes it better over time
- cleans without drying out hair (yes you will likely need to condition afterwards)
- doesn't strip hair color
- very affordable
- suds nicely, unlike other sulfate free shampoos
Cons:
- not for me, but for some, the scent - it's distinct & herbal - but doesn't last

If you are looking for something to keep the dandruff at bay, leave hair clean but not stripped & keep your color looking good longer - This. Is. For. You.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2014 9:26:00 PM More reviews by swaggy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This drys out my hair so much it is actually insane. I only like the smell but it makes my hair dry and tangled.
I would not buy this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by ginnymat2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to shampoo in the winter months when it's so dry out. I gave it 4 lippies because the tea tree scent (although light) has never been my favorite. However, other than that this cleans my short, wavy, colored hair wonderfully without stripping and helps to keep my scalp healthy. Of all of the Nature's Gate shampoos, this one performs the best for me. I use it with the Tea Tree Oil conditioner. They are a bit more expensive than the other Nature's Gate shampoos and conditioners, but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by laluna82

I bought this shampoo and the matching conditioner because all of my favorite drugstore shampoos have silicone in them, and I was looking for something silicone-free. This is my first ever organic shampoo, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am really enjoying it! It moisturizes enough to tame my fine, frizzy hair without leaving it dull and lifeless. My hair feels so clean I could probably shampoo it every other day instead of every day like I normally do. I also like the refreshing tea tree oil scent. The only drawbacks with this product are price and availability. It is a little on the expensive side and only available in a few local stores, but I am willing to pay a little more for such great results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by guitarheroine91

I've tried over 3 types of natural shampoo in the past two months, and I was starting to get discouraged. After trying Andalou and Jason and at first wash being thrilled with both, then terribly disappointed by the second wash, I had about given up.

I gave this shampoo 4 washes before posting this review. My hair seems to know within 2 whether a shampoo is going to work for it, and this shampoo has passed the test so far. It's incredibly potent, you need only a nickel sized amount for past shoulder-length, crazy thick hair. I've been scrubbing it in, focusing on my scalp, waiting a couple minutes, rinsing and repeating with half a nickel size. It foams way more the second wash, but it's so soothing on an itchy scalp! After rinsing my scalp itchies and little pimples are way subdued. Plus, my hair looks amazing.

UPDATE Feb/8/14

It's been over three months since purchasing this shampoo and conditioner and it's become my HG. I've noticed my hair loss during the shower is way less, down to one or two strands. My hair feels healthy and smooth. Just the way it should.