April 18, 2014 | 1972 users online

Shampoo - Nature's Gate - Tea Tree Oil Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2014 9:19:00 AM More reviews by evapop

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Much like the war between my zits & wrinkles, there is now a war between the semi permanent color I use to cover my gray strands & my dandruff prone scalp.

Sexy.

In the past, I used Head & Shoulders extra strength on my scalp & hair. My hair is thick, wavy & pretty tough so as long as I conditioned after - all was good in the hood.

Then a couple years ago, I started getting a few random grays - all on my hairline & while truly a few, super noticeable against my level 3 hair. Problem was that H&S stripped the semi perm color.

Enter this amazing shampoo. It is my HG as it works on my dandruff BETTER than H&S, yet doesn't strip my color. It cleans and clarifies but without leaving my hair dried out. With consistent use, I am now down to shampooing once a week as my thick wavy hair doesn't get oily and now my scalp doesn't get itchy.

Yes - you need to condition afterwards, but if you have hair like mine - what shampoo don't you have to do that with afterwards?

Pros:
- great dandruff control - makes it better over time
- cleans without drying out hair (yes you will likely need to condition afterwards)
- doesn't strip hair color
- very affordable
- suds nicely, unlike other sulfate free shampoos
Cons:
- not for me, but for some, the scent - it's distinct & herbal - but doesn't last

If you are looking for something to keep the dandruff at bay, leave hair clean but not stripped & keep your color looking good longer - This. Is. For. You.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2014 9:26:00 PM More reviews by swaggy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This drys out my hair so much it is actually insane. I only like the smell but it makes my hair dry and tangled.
I would not buy this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2014 9:53:00 AM More reviews by ginnymat2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my go-to shampoo in the winter months when it's so dry out. I gave it 4 lippies because the tea tree scent (although light) has never been my favorite. However, other than that this cleans my short, wavy, colored hair wonderfully without stripping and helps to keep my scalp healthy. Of all of the Nature's Gate shampoos, this one performs the best for me. I use it with the Tea Tree Oil conditioner. They are a bit more expensive than the other Nature's Gate shampoos and conditioners, but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2014 5:52:00 PM More reviews by laluna82

I bought this shampoo and the matching conditioner because all of my favorite drugstore shampoos have silicone in them, and I was looking for something silicone-free. This is my first ever organic shampoo, so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am really enjoying it! It moisturizes enough to tame my fine, frizzy hair without leaving it dull and lifeless. My hair feels so clean I could probably shampoo it every other day instead of every day like I normally do. I also like the refreshing tea tree oil scent. The only drawbacks with this product are price and availability. It is a little on the expensive side and only available in a few local stores, but I am willing to pay a little more for such great results.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by guitarheroine91

I've tried over 3 types of natural shampoo in the past two months, and I was starting to get discouraged. After trying Andalou and Jason and at first wash being thrilled with both, then terribly disappointed by the second wash, I had about given up.

I gave this shampoo 4 washes before posting this review. My hair seems to know within 2 whether a shampoo is going to work for it, and this shampoo has passed the test so far. It's incredibly potent, you need only a nickel sized amount for past shoulder-length, crazy thick hair. I've been scrubbing it in, focusing on my scalp, waiting a couple minutes, rinsing and repeating with half a nickel size. It foams way more the second wash, but it's so soothing on an itchy scalp! After rinsing my scalp itchies and little pimples are way subdued. Plus, my hair looks amazing.

UPDATE Feb/8/14

It's been over three months since purchasing this shampoo and conditioner and it's become my HG. I've noticed my hair loss during the shower is way less, down to one or two strands. My hair feels healthy and smooth. Just the way it should.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by IsabelArcher

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

You can buy Nature's Gate Tea Tree shampoo in a giant pump bottle, so it lasts forever and you get every last bit of it without having to shake it like a ketchup bottle. This is great stuff if your scalp produces a lot of sebum (like mine) or if you work in an environment that makes your hair greasy, because it will make your hair stay clean for a longer amount of time. And it does it without overdrying hair. Amazing. One lippie off for the herbal scent, which I think might be an acquired taste. Otherwise this shampoo is the cat's pajamas.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 6:38:00 PM More reviews by 021551

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have very dry skin, including my scalp, and thin, wavy, difficult hair. I've always had trouble finding hair products; I rarely rebuy the same shampoo and have probably never used the same one for more than two months. I get dry flaky skin mostly along my hairline.

I've tried sulfate-free, "natural" marketed shampoos before with really bad luck. Typically they leave my hair feeling like straw while still somehow managing to make the hair by my scalp flat and oily.

This stuff makes my hair look amazing, but most of all, it's incredibly soothing to the scalp. I am so used to my head feeling itchy and dry as soon as I get out of the shower. I should mention that I do use the tea tree oil conditioner as well (which I also love). While I haven't been using them long enough to see if there's really going to be a lasting effect on my waves, I'll be curious to watch for that since I know many people swear by sulfate and paraben free products. This might be the first thing to convert me. Each bottle was under $7 and is even available at Kroger here. It's a good size and I've found that the shampoo is so much less drying than ones I've used previously that I don't need as much conditioner. In the past, I've had to use crazy amounts of conditioner just to be able to untangle my dry hair after showering - probably more than twice as much volume as I would use for shampoo.

I feel pretty neutral about the smell. It's got a very natural peppermint scent but kind of a weird base note, which may be the tea tree oil? I've never used tea tree oil before, so I'm not sure. But I can't really smell it anymore after I get out of the shower, and once my hair is dry it only leaves a very faint minty/herbal smell.

I will definitely rebuy this! My head is so thankful for the switch.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 9:44:00 AM More reviews by brio815

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this because my scalp had been feeling itchy. I use Bed Head Urban Antidotes, which I like. But I think the shampoo was causing my scalp to itch. I bought this shampoo at Sprouts because I had read good things in the past. It really helps the itchiness go away. This shampoo is the first thing I use when washing my hair, every time. It doesn't have a creamy texture. It has a tea tree oil, eucalyptus, minty type smell. Personally, I like the smell. I think it cleans my scalp well. I wouldn't say it makes my hair any smoother or shinier than normal though. But I'd definitely repurchase. I plan in it. The shampoo was under $10 for me. I have not used the conditioner and don't plan on it. My routine: wash with Natures Gate, use BH UA shampoo, and finish with BH UA condish, deep treatment if I feel I need extra. I have wavy/curly hair that is naturally on the dry side.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2013 7:55:00 PM More reviews by frecklesnroses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one I repurchase like I breathe. I use it in the way many use Dr. Bronner's Peppermint liquid- as shampoo (obviously), facial cleanser, and body wash. I've yet to use it as a mouth rinse, as some purportedly do with Dr. Bronner's, but... really? Ew. Whatever the application, it performs just as Dr. Bronner's does: thoroughly cleansing, nice tingly-squeaky-minty-fresh clean, plenty of suds without yucky parabens or sulfates... but, in the case of the Nature's gate stuff, there is no drying as there can be with Dr. Bronner's. Yeah, most of us will need to moisturize after, but there isn't the urgent feeling that your face might crack & fall off. Good, good stuff. I will have to find a way to transfer the manifesto from a bottle of Bronner's to a bottle of Nature's Gate, as that is the one thing the NG is missing. I mean, "all one", yall. All One!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Zoaie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

In the past, I've used Nature's Gate before and really loved the smell, texture, and how my hair felt after use. The only thing that kept me from buying Nature's Gate all the time was the price for the amount of product. Well, during these past Fall/Winter months, I had a little bit of that pesky itchy scalp that some other people experience. I never saw any sign of dandruff so, I didn't want to use something that was medicated or would be really harsh for my hair and scalp..I'm so glad that I bought this! It smells really fresh, lathers like a champ, and more importantly for me, has made my itchy scalp issues a thing of the past. My hair looks clean and bouncy after I use this and I love that.