AG Hair Cosmetics Recoil Curl Activator

4.2

Water/aqua/eau, Polyquaternium-55, Hydroxypropyl Starch, Cetylalcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Corn Starch Modified, Cetrimonium Chloride, Salvia Officinalis (sage) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Melissaofficinalis Leaf Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Cymbopogonschoenanthus Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Sodium PCA, Polyquaternium-10, Magnesium Sulfate, Silk Amino Acids, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzedkeratin, Panthenol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tetrasodiumedta, Parfum/ Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

on 6/19/2015 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I was disappointed in this. After the glowing reviews I thought this was going to be IT. Granted I have only been working with my wavy 2A/2B hair for a month now but this didn't do what I wanted for my hair. It didn't give me 2nd day bounce back like I was looking for and it was too heavy for me.

I also wanted more. I need more and lasting style aid because my hair and waves are a tad lazy after years of straightening according to my stylist. This didn't last long and then frizz and curls were relaxing where they are reluctant to stay in the curls I put them in. Maybe I am that person looking for a little crunch that I can squinch out. I will keep looking.

From what I understand from my ongoing "class" in curly wavy hair is that there is a continuous quest for perfect products for our own hair types. I will take any guidance I can find.

on 5/10/2015 1:00:00 PM

I have fine wavy hair (2B) & have tried more products than I can list! Most of them made my hair crunchy or to were too heavy...
This product was amazing I put on a quarter size amount which sadly was too much (have to use a dime size next time), but my waves turned into beautiful corkscrew curls! The crunchiness I experienced from putting to much dissipated after playing with my hair for a bit, but is my advice for anybody who's applied too much & doesn't want to re-wash! I did not find a drawing at all. I must add that I only used the curl activator- I did not use the shampoo or conditioner which will be my next purchase!
I can only imagine how beautiful my curls will look once I use the whole line! (Yes I buying the shampoo & conditioner even though I have a LOT of other shampoos now! That's how impressed I am!!) If you have any type of wave in your hair at all try this as it will make a huge difference, even if you only use the curl activator by itself! Just remember a little goes a long way!! It did cost $40 Canadian...but that was for the biggest bottle...and this will last for months using 1 pump each time!😊

on 7/14/2014 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I used mine up but it is the best--turns my prone-to-frizz hair into luscious Shirley Temple curls. No crunchiness or grease. Soft shiny boing-y curls. Foolproof. You need v little; mine lasted me the past couple of years.

on 4/23/2014 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

What a great product. This is my second purchase. The first time I purchased this, I liked it but preferred Deva Curl Angel and Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream. Then I splurged and got a Deva curl cut. What a big difference in this product after the cut. It's a little expensive, even though I gave it five lippies on the price, this product is worth every penny. Try it, keep the receipt and if you don't like it, just return it. Embrace your curls and turn heads.

on 3/24/2014 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have thick, coarse hair, so this product does not have enough hold to keep my curls in shape on its own - I have to combine it with a gel (right now I'm using Ouidad's Curl Quenching gel). However, if I want a frizz-free, relaxed sort of beachy waves look, I can use those alone (I work it into sopping wet hair & I then allow to air drive). I like this product & would definitely buy it again, but it's not holy grail for me. I *am* interested enough that I want to try out A/G's shampoo & conditioner for curly hair.

on 1/25/2014 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

To start off, I have fine 3b-3c'ish curls. Recoil for me, is just alright. Makes my curls look SUPER curly. What I don't like is that, it clumps my curls. I like my curls to be seperated. It's also a bit heavy and leaves little to no shine. The worst part is, when I scrunch the crunch out, my hands and hair feel gross. I mean, the nastiest feeling film ever. Pretty sure it's the silicone....oh yeah, this stuff has silicones. It does make my curls look really ....curly....but with the strikes against it, I highly doubt I'd repurchase when it's gone. I much more prefer Oyin Shine and Define and or Curl Keeper.

on 10/18/2013 1:41:00 PM

I think I've finally found my HG curl product! I've been going naturally curly for about 8 months now, following the Curly Girl method, and in that time I've tried lots of different products (DevaCurl: Set it Free, Mist-er Right, Light Defining Gel, Frizz Free Volumizing Foam; Shea Moisture: Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk and Coconut and Hibiscus Frizz Free Curl Mousse; Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls; Goddess Curls gel). This one has worked great for me. It gives my hair volume and soft, well-defined curls that never look or feel crunchy. Yes, it's a little pricy, but the bottle should last a long time since I only have to use a small amount twice a week! And the results are definitely worth it...

About my hair:
Curl Pattern: 2B/2C (naturallycurly.com) or Wavy (DevaCurl)
Length: long (to the bottom of my shoulder blades)
Width: fine
Porosity: low
Density: medium

How I use it:
After I wash my hair, I immediately comb it with a wide-tooth comb to detangle while it's still dripping wet. Then I apply about a tablespoon of Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper to my wet hair and comb it through from roots to ends using my fingers. I turn my head upside down and scrunch out excess moisture with a microfiber towel or old soft t-shirt. Flip my head back up, squeeze about a quarter-size dollop of re:coil into my hand, rub my hands together to emulsify and then lightly apply to my hair, scrunching as I go. I wait a couple of minutes and then use a diffuser set on medium heat to dry my hair with my head hanging upside down. Come upright, shake my head, do some minor tweaking with my fingers so my hair lays how I want it, and that's it.

I only have to wash my hair every three days, and I can use this routine first thing in the morning, or do it at night. I sleep with my hair in a scrunchie on the very top of my head (the pineapple method), and in the morning, I can shake it out and go! Definitely a bonus for getting out the door quickly in the morning.

on 10/11/2013 2:50:00 PM

This product did take my lightly wavy hair and made it almost to the verge of curly, smelled great. Unfortunately I found the product too thick to apply to my hair and made my hair rather greasy but not moisturizing at all for my ends strangely. Prefer the A/G fast food rather than this, might be better for someone with really curly hair rather than just wavies.

on 5/29/2013 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Most of my life I've had fine, curly hair that frizzed terribly. Suddenly, over the last year, my hair has straightened out to e almost wavy, and I've been on a long road to try to figure out how to handle it. The kinds of products I used for years, like No Frizz, now tend to make it dank and sticky. And I have a new problem: instead of curling, the front of my hair gets wispy and sometimes hangs in strands in front of my face--horrible! Anyway, my mix for this past winter has been to use bumble & bumble tonic plus the light curl cream plus maybe thickening hair spray or surf spray, but that's all gone to hell now that summer is coming. I just tried this product in desperation and so far it seems to work! I use tonic first, then two pea-sized blobs of recoil; then I break up the recoil with a tiny bit of curl cream, using it like a pomade. I'm now getting smooth shiny curls, and even that wispy front bit has started behaving. I'm not sure about the smell, which is kind of a putrid coconut, but I've almost stopped noticing it. I think it might work--we'll see later this week as we head into the 90s!

on 4/24/2013 2:06:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been using this product for maybe 5-6 years. It took me this long to realize how to use it properly for my hair, LOL. At first, I always had a hit or miss with it. Sometimes my hair would curl right and other times it would curl and then shortly later fall into a flatish mess.I I have Type 2a hair that needs product to hold the curl, or else it dries pretty straight.
What I do now is after a shower, wrap my head in a blotting towel, comb through with a widetooth comb, and then divide my hair into two sections --one on the bottom and top. Then I apply maybe about 1 dollar size worth into each section evenly! I get the best results if I blow dry on low heat with a diffuser, especially the diffuser attachment I have which is like a cup that you kind of plop your hair gently into it. The next day to refresh my hair, I spray with the Curl spray from A/G (can't remember the exact name) after wetting my hair a bit with my hands and scrunch.

Popular Styling Products