July 24, 2014 | 1613 users online

Styling Products - A/G - Recoil Curl Activator

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2014 3:56:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I used mine up but it is the best--turns my prone-to-frizz hair into luscious Shirley Temple curls. No crunchiness or grease. Soft shiny boing-y curls. Foolproof. You need v little; mine lasted me the past couple of years.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2014 8:25:00 AM More reviews by lblasucci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a great product. This is my second purchase. The first time I purchased this, I liked it but preferred Deva Curl Angel and Moroccan Oil Intense Curl Cream. Then I splurged and got a Deva curl cut. What a big difference in this product after the cut. It's a little expensive, even though I gave it five lippies on the price, this product is worth every penny. Try it, keep the receipt and if you don't like it, just return it. Embrace your curls and turn heads.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have thick, coarse hair, so this product does not have enough hold to keep my curls in shape on its own - I have to combine it with a gel (right now I'm using Ouidad's Curl Quenching gel). However, if I want a frizz-free, relaxed sort of beachy waves look, I can use those alone (I work it into sopping wet hair & I then allow to air drive). I like this product & would definitely buy it again, but it's not holy grail for me. I *am* interested enough that I want to try out A/G's shampoo & conditioner for curly hair.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2014 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Khiandra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Black

To start off, I have fine 3b-3c'ish curls. Recoil for me, is just alright. Makes my curls look SUPER curly. What I don't like is that, it clumps my curls. I like my curls to be seperated. It's also a bit heavy and leaves little to no shine. The worst part is, when I scrunch the crunch out, my hands and hair feel gross. I mean, the nastiest feeling film ever. Pretty sure it's the silicone....oh yeah, this stuff has silicones. It does make my curls look really ....curly....but with the strikes against it, I highly doubt I'd repurchase when it's gone. I much more prefer Oyin Shine and Define and or Curl Keeper.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Renascence

I think I've finally found my HG curl product! I've been going naturally curly for about 8 months now, following the Curly Girl method, and in that time I've tried lots of different products (DevaCurl: Set it Free, Mist-er Right, Light Defining Gel, Frizz Free Volumizing Foam; Shea Moisture: Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk and Coconut and Hibiscus Frizz Free Curl Mousse; Miss Jessie's Pillow Soft Curls; Goddess Curls gel). This one has worked great for me. It gives my hair volume and soft, well-defined curls that never look or feel crunchy. Yes, it's a little pricy, but the bottle should last a long time since I only have to use a small amount twice a week! And the results are definitely worth it...

About my hair:
Curl Pattern: 2B/2C (naturallycurly.com) or Wavy (DevaCurl)
Length: long (to the bottom of my shoulder blades)
Width: fine
Porosity: low
Density: medium

How I use it:
After I wash my hair, I immediately comb it with a wide-tooth comb to detangle while it's still dripping wet. Then I apply about a tablespoon of Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper to my wet hair and comb it through from roots to ends using my fingers. I turn my head upside down and scrunch out excess moisture with a microfiber towel or old soft t-shirt. Flip my head back up, squeeze about a quarter-size dollop of re:coil into my hand, rub my hands together to emulsify and then lightly apply to my hair, scrunching as I go. I wait a couple of minutes and then use a diffuser set on medium heat to dry my hair with my head hanging upside down. Come upright, shake my head, do some minor tweaking with my fingers so my hair lays how I want it, and that's it.

I only have to wash my hair every three days, and I can use this routine first thing in the morning, or do it at night. I sleep with my hair in a scrunchie on the very top of my head (the pineapple method), and in the morning, I can shake it out and go! Definitely a bonus for getting out the door quickly in the morning.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Bassiii

This product did take my lightly wavy hair and made it almost to the verge of curly, smelled great. Unfortunately I found the product too thick to apply to my hair and made my hair rather greasy but not moisturizing at all for my ends strangely. Prefer the A/G fast food rather than this, might be better for someone with really curly hair rather than just wavies.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 1:21:00 AM More reviews by kinonyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Most of my life I've had fine, curly hair that frizzed terribly. Suddenly, over the last year, my hair has straightened out to e almost wavy, and I've been on a long road to try to figure out how to handle it. The kinds of products I used for years, like No Frizz, now tend to make it dank and sticky. And I have a new problem: instead of curling, the front of my hair gets wispy and sometimes hangs in strands in front of my face--horrible! Anyway, my mix for this past winter has been to use bumble & bumble tonic plus the light curl cream plus maybe thickening hair spray or surf spray, but that's all gone to hell now that summer is coming. I just tried this product in desperation and so far it seems to work! I use tonic first, then two pea-sized blobs of recoil; then I break up the recoil with a tiny bit of curl cream, using it like a pomade. I'm now getting smooth shiny curls, and even that wispy front bit has started behaving. I'm not sure about the smell, which is kind of a putrid coconut, but I've almost stopped noticing it. I think it might work--we'll see later this week as we head into the 90s!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 2:06:00 PM More reviews by pineapple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this product for maybe 5-6 years. It took me this long to realize how to use it properly for my hair, LOL. At first, I always had a hit or miss with it. Sometimes my hair would curl right and other times it would curl and then shortly later fall into a flatish mess.I I have Type 2a hair that needs product to hold the curl, or else it dries pretty straight.
What I do now is after a shower, wrap my head in a blotting towel, comb through with a widetooth comb, and then divide my hair into two sections --one on the bottom and top. Then I apply maybe about 1 dollar size worth into each section evenly! I get the best results if I blow dry on low heat with a diffuser, especially the diffuser attachment I have which is like a cup that you kind of plop your hair gently into it. The next day to refresh my hair, I spray with the Curl spray from A/G (can't remember the exact name) after wetting my hair a bit with my hands and scrunch.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by fuzzysham

This stuff is awesome sauce! I have naturally curly hair but when it air dries the bottom layer under most of my hair, dries with spiral-y curls and the top layer is just flat and theres a random kink in it. It's really awkward. When my hair is still wet it has these beautiful curls and I always wanted to enhance them cause I hate having to straighten my hair all the time and blow dry it straight or else it has this weird wave to it.
I've tried a few products but this one really stands out. First of all, I love AG hair products. I agree with the reviewer below saying that they are easily overlooked, they really are. I've been visiting ULTA ever since I moved to the US, almost 9 years ago, and never knew about AG until about 10 months ago and now thats exclusively what I use. If people on the hair board wouldn't constantly recommend the fast food leave in ( a holy grail of mine as well) I would have never known what AG hair was! Also a bonus, all products are cruelty free!
Anyways, this product smells amazing, like the rest of the AG products- sweet and like candy but you can't smell it on your hair after you put them on so it's not overpowering at all. It's a very thick cream that kind of took me by surprise at first- I thought it was going to be more of a gel but its a really thick cream. My hair goes a few inches past my shoulders and I need about a dime size, so this will last me forever. I scrunch my hair with this when its about half dry almost, and it gives it enough hold to actually keep the waves/curls- which no other product was able to do. It keeps the curls on the top layer of my hair, which usually gets weighed down and straight. Also, its really moisturizing so my hair is not crunchy and super soft! This is a really great product! I use it maybe once or twice a week, especially when I don't feel like torturing my hair with straightening. I will most definitely repurchase...IF I ever finish the ginormous tube!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by luxbayb

A/G is an amazing line and I think they're packaging makes it sooo easy to be over looked. in my cosmo store the a/g display is in the way back in the corner where no one walks and I think it deserves a lot more attention!!! I have thick porous out of control curl hair that is a wavy mess if it's not properly styled. This is the first product that actually tightens the curl and reduces frizz for me. It smells wonderful and rinses out smooth like rich conditioner. I would definitely suggest making over the packaging with ads that are geared towards younger professionals. emphasize the quality without cruelty and women changing the world with some bright colors.