Laura Mercier Smudge Brush

4.4

on 1/18/2015 11:51:00 AM

Does exactly what it says on the tin, performing equally well on precision lining tasks and less precise lower lash line shadow delivery.

on 6/16/2014 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

very scratchy. the first from laura mercier. other than that. i wish it was more flatter for smudging and a bit bigger. not a keeper.

on 1/15/2013 11:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

A LM sales associate used the Smudger brush to blend a swipe of caviar stick on my eyelid and I was instantly hooked. It does a great job at both top and bottom lids for lining as well as smudging. It is densely packed natural fibers with very short, stiff bristles. Yes, I agree with all the other reviewers in that it is very scratchy. But I think that scratchiness ends up being a strength of this brush. It does an excellent job of dispersing color and if it were too soft, it might not be as effective, imo. I have used it to line my upper waterline, as well, and it is fine in a pinch (I prefer a traditional push brush for this task). I like how precise it is and how well it picks up pigment. I am extremely happy with this brush and would definitely repurchase.

I'd looked up reviews/youtube tutorials for smudge brushes.Nars,Chanel and Laura Mercier had good reviews. I went with the Laura Mercier because, I can't believe I'm saying this, @$24 (+tax and shipping ) was the more reasonably priced and looked to be the smaller sized of the 3. I wish that I had gone with one of the other 2 brands or even the MAC 214. Why? To smudge your bottom lash line, you have to use it straight on (rather then at an angle or slightly sideways) which is where the brush is at it's most scratchy.And VERY uncomfortable if you accidently get too close to the water line. Yes, I could wash it alot to get it softer or use it til it gets there. But for the price you shouldn't have to...Thank goodness the store I baught it @ has a good return policy.The quest for the perfect (or as close to perfect) smudge brush continues.

Suggestions welcome :)

on 11/5/2011 12:13:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have used this brush daily since 2008 and I've never seen it shed, not even once. Very impressed. The "Laura Mercier" logo on the handle has long worn off, but the brush works like it is brand new. Actually, better than brand new, because it felt a little coarse when I first got it, but now it's been completely smoothed out. Even though this is billed as a smudger, I also use it as a liner brush. It is small and dense, good for picking up the chalkiest of shadows and distributing color to tiny corners around the eye or your lashline. I also own LM's crease brush and all-over eyeshadow brush, but this is my favorite.

on 12/5/2010 1:03:00 AM

Good size. Easy to use. Smudges well and you can also apply a thin line of eyeshadow with it. A little scratchy though that's why I took one lippie out. Otherwise it's a good one. I think it would last a long time...

on 5/20/2010 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This brush is great for smudging out black liner and makng it more rocker-grungey. But when you think about it, anything can do that...even our finger. what I LOVE this brush for is to set my waterline eyeliner. It's so small and precise that it pats eyeshadow on the waterline super easily and effectively!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

After much diliberation and reaserch, I finally settled on this smudge brush. I used to have the NARS smudger, but it was too "thick" and I don't really have a lot of crease space, so it wasn't really precise. The NARS brush was also a bit prickly. However, the Laura Mercier brush is fantastic in all the aspects where the NARS smudger fell short. The LM brush is super soft and is much thinner for more precise smudging. The brush also slants on both sides, comming to a "slight" point so to speak. This brush is perfect to line eyes as well as to smoke out my liner. I LOVE this brush!!! For all you gals with smaller creases, this is a must have!!

on 10/13/2008 10:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

This is a very good smudge brush. I use this almost every day and it is very precise and effective. I am mostly unsatisfied with the make up brushes from Laura but this brush is actually worth the price. It is soft but at the same time allows for very controlled use and application. I will not be replacing this one.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

The Smudge Brush is one of my favorite and most-used brushes in my collection. It's made out of an all-natural mix of pony and blue squirrel hair. The bristles are very densely packed, and the brush always holds its shape perfectly.
This brush really is a multi-tasker. It's great for smudging, obviously; but it's also great for using dark colored shadows as a liner, or for lining with loose pigments. Also, any time when you really want to pack on thick color, this brush is perfect. I frequently use this brush to blend dark eyeshadow colors into Laura Mercier's Caviar Cake liner (which I usually apply with the Flat Eyeliner brush). The smudge brush usually picks up a lot of color, and it places it very precisely exactly where you want it.
This brush is also great for adding a bit of color to your lower lash line without looking too harsh, or like overkill.

I would absolutely buy this brush again, and I consider it one of the staples of my brush collection.

Popular Makeup Brushes