August 28, 2014 | 907 users online

Eyeliner - Stila - Smudge Pots gel eye-liner

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 1:50:00 PM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Had it in Cobalt Blue, a blue shimmery shade. For the price, it's a little too much but I had my pot for over 4 years (after I phased out my bold liner trend) & it's still as good as it was when I first brought it. I brought the Barbie edition pot as well (pink glitter with a purple base) & it's not as great as the original collection but these gel pot are awesome with lasting power. I'm planning on splurging on the black pot next month. For those who complain about it drying out so quickly, you MUST make sure the lid is screwed on properly & tight as well as leaving it out of the sunlight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 11:34:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I buy the shade kitten & use it for an all over base for my eye shadow! I really love how creamy the texture is & how easy it is to apply. I recommend someone with oily eye lids to try out the black as eye liner. It's beautiful! One thing you have to remember about this product tho... Is it dries up super fast if the lid isn't securely placed on the pot! If it happens because we all forget things sometimes... Add some eye drops and let it set over night in the fridge.. It will be good as new! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/20/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by anhho

This product works great! It was super black and the application was very smooth. I loved that it stays put all day despite the weather. It also came on Matte and not shiny which I LOVED. The only problem I had with it was that it dries up super fast. By the 4th month of using this product, it was as hard as a rock! It was disappointing because there was still more then half the jar left. I even tried to put some water in it to soften it up, but it was no useā€¦ After this terrible experience, I thought i'd try maybelline eye studio pot and it works very much the same as the Stila smudge pot. It was just as dark and the application was just as smooth. The best part was, it didn't dry out! It stayed moist until the very last application! It worked amazing it was so much cheaper than the Stila smudge pot! So my advice is, Do not buy the Stila smudge pot. Check your local drugstore for Maybelline eye studio pot because it works just as well and it won't dry out on you!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by stlawrenceriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My friend uses this and she loves it, so upon running out of my current gel liner I thought I would try Stila's. It was similar in price and quantity to the other gels I own, and I am always looking for something with better staying power on my oily lids.

I purchased this yesterday in Black, opened it for the first time today, and there was a dime sized amount of product in the pot. It had completely dried out. When I opened it the packaging made a little 'pop' sound, so I thought it was good. But it was as hard as a rock and had shrunk well over 50% in size.

Seriously disappointing as these pots run about $28 in Canada. I would be pissed if Loreal's did this, let alone a supposed higher end brand. I first considered just exchanging it for another, but I'd rather return it completely. The dried out product just makes me think it won't last long, even with a fresh one.
It seems ridiculous, but stupid things like this tend to ruin my faith in an entire brand. If they can't even properly package their products, why should I trust performance and formulation.
No thank you Stila.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/8/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by ahusk75

I bought this in my fave color Kitten which is gorgeous, but the consistency of this makes it difficult to use. Dried out within 3/4 weeks and will be returning to Sephora. If you're looking for more slip/creaminess try the smudge stick instead, it's fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2012 6:30:00 PM More reviews by kawanii

This is one of the better gel eyeliners to use when tightlining because it stays and it does not smudge as much on the bottom lids and outer corners as most of the ones I have tried. It has a softer and drier consistency, making it less easy to smudge when blinking.

There's still product at the end of the day and it does not cause raccoon eyes for me. However, one thing I can tell is that it will dry very quickly because upon a new one, I can see the gel pot sticking to one side while it leans towards it. I don't know if most of you will understand but it's not fully "into" the container. Like if I use a knife and scrape it at the bottom, the whole eyeliner will come out like a rock. That's the impression I get. But I do still love the wear on this eyeliner to get a good use of the tightlining method. So far, no complaints!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by Scubanikki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best eyeliner I haved ever used because it stays where I put it, period. It was recommended to me by a sales lady in Sephora and I usually don't take advice of any salesperson, but this really is a good product. I use it mostly to tightline and once it sets, it doesn't budge. The packaging is awful, though. Glue in the lid gets all over the rim of the pot and is pretty messy. I will continue to use it and just fight the packaging because I love it that much.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2012 6:49:00 AM More reviews by DrKimberly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my second pot of Stila gel eyeliner. During the last go 'round, I went into the store a bit more frugal minded trying to find something much cheaper, but with similar effect. I purchased a pot of some offbrand Ulta gel hoping for the best. Upon the first use there were smudges and weird glitter flecked oddities. I returned it and sucked up the extra cost with another pot of Stila gel.

Clearly, when it comes to gel pot eyeliner you get what you pay for! On the up side, this stuff really lasts a LONG time. In fact, it lasts for such a long time you may need to clean off the surface occasionally to keep it free of bacteria. If you're looking for a good all-purpose eyeliner you won't be disappointed with this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2012 12:06:00 PM More reviews by Caxap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought 2 colors: Jade and Kitten. Jade went on beautifully, stayed on all day and night (with no primer! And I have oily lids!). As for Kitten... Such a huge disappointment. I think the shimmer really screwed up the consistency that the matte Jade has. It went on in chunks, was very uneven, and flaked like CRAZY! I was getting flakes of it in my eyes for hours! I used both colors as an eye shadow as I haven't yet mastered lining with a brush. Kitten is getting returned. Also, Kitten didn't work well as a primer. I tried putting powder eye shadow over it to make the un-evenness of it look more acceptable, but because of how light it is, the otherwise dark shadow barely showed up. Sigh

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2011 5:50:00 AM More reviews by hieppity

I bought the mini set somewhere off an American website for super cheap - if only I could remember what it was! Cannot for the life of me find it again :(

The mini set has black, violet, kitten and starry night.

Black is absolutely fabulous - it's my go to liner for my go to smoky eye. I apply it over eyeshadow and primer and set it with a bit more eyeshadow, and it lasts all day even though I have generally oily lids. Comes on lovely, thick and opaque and sets quite quickly. Will definitely repurchase if I can find it for cheap again. Stila is ridiculously expensive in Australia.

Violet is a shimmery purple colour and is also very good. Application needs a bit more work than black though, as it comes on a bit thin and needs a bit of a heavy hand to get the gorgeous shimmery purple look you see in the pot.

Kitten is a super shimmery pink pearl colour and is fabulous as a highlighter or eyeshadow base.

All of those above colours are creamy and easy to work with (although violet is not as nice as the others).

Starry night, on the other hand, looks like a gorgeous shimmery navy blue colour in the pot but is so disappointing in real life. I dropped it the other day and the gel has hardened so much that the entire product shifted in the pot! That is, it had set to the shape of the pot and the impact of hitting the floor dislodged it a mm or so, and there's a gap between the product and a bit of the wall of the pot. I must have gotten a shoddy pot that had dried out, and now the colour applies thin, streaky and very blah. Tossing up between throwing it out and trying it again when mixed with saline or mineral oil? Not sure, but the other colours have been so great that I'm sure the blue would be lovely too, if only it wasn't so dried out and crud.