November 22, 2014 | 1866 users online

Styling Products - Redken - 15 Spray Starch Heat Memory Styler

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've gone through a few bottles of this bad boy now so I think I can safely review it. I apply Spray Starch to my blow dried/flat ironed hair right before using my Hot Tools Gold curling iron. My hair is abundant but quite fine so I only need to spray lightly, and in sections. Spray Starch is likely to make your hair feel a bit crunchy, but all I do to remedy that is finger comb my hair and smooth it right out. The good news is that the "grip" still remains intact, which is exactly what makes Spray Starch such liquid gold for when I curl my hair with an iron. My hair doesn't slip out of the barrel and I can curl smaller sections. The heat-memory feature is amazing and my curls last much longer. I don't have to use as much hairspray to finish anymore. Remember: less is more and don't be fooled by the initial crunch!

FYI: I see that it is no longer featured on Ulta's website, but it does remain on the official Redken site, so I'm not sure what's going on with that...? I hope it's not discontinued, eek!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 11:07:00 AM More reviews by Sayfam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I think this has been discontinued! I've lost so many good products lately it makes me sick! I loved this stuff-my fine hair needed it after I blow dry to keep it nicely in place before I curled it with a curling iron. Ugh why Redken! Hot Sets by Redken is just not the same thing--I know, I've tried it before.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2012 3:27:00 PM More reviews by Ifly2u

Fantastic!!! My hair is fine, limp and doesn't hold style very well. This product has given life to my hair!! Just be careful of using too much... A heap of any product is no good and will only make you a hot mess.
Positives: easier to style and held style all day, can comb out, acted as a heat protectant during blow dry, shiny with lots of volume.
How I use it: 1 pump of mouse after shower, comb through, apply makeup, add a few squirts of spray starch, blow dry to style.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by dibbun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This stuff works well for top layers of hair for me. It keeps it pretty shiny and holds a loose curl through the day. Used sparingly it doesn't make things crunchy, and isn't too sticky that I can't run my fingers through my hair. I need three spritzes on each section of hair before I curl it for it to work. However, it does not work (for me) on bottom layers of hair that lay close to the body, layers that are also a bit thicker and less chemically damaged (truth be told).
This isn't a holy grail, and a bit expensive for as much as you have to use. I'd probably buy it again, but am still looking for something that will work all over my head.
To be fair, I have pin straight, coarse Asian hair that does NOT want to be curled.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 7:29:00 PM More reviews by eastwo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

When I first bought this, I thought that this product was just...odd. Its texture is unlike anything I've used before--hairspray, wax, shine spray, etc. Personally I don't think this works well for straightening hair, but for curling hair it is incredible. As with other reviewers, I spray before using a curling iron and there is no need for hairspray afterward. Hair will stay curled. You can brush it out too, and hair will look very soft. FYI for curling hair I spray the section down, brush out the product to distribute, then curl with a curling iron. As I go I set each piece in sponge curlers so the curls won't fall out as they cool. Curls stay in forever this way. Love this stuff.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2012 4:16:00 PM More reviews by JayLammMD

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I alwayus this product before I do an updo for a bride or special event. Been using this for a few years now. Hope they never discontinue.
I does kind of have a strange smell when it comes out of the bottle but that goes away really quickly.
It sets hair without being sticky.
Great Product, as with most Redken products. It does what it says.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by floy2015

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to hair and there are very few hair products that "wow" me. My hair is pretty decent at holding curl on its own but I am always using styling products to assist with frizz and longetivity. The best way I can describe my curls when I use this product is totally "controlled". Any other product that I have used in the past, if you curl your hair in the same direction, the curls will eventually combine to make one big lump of uniform curls and I find myself having to separate the curls throughout the day. This product actually controls the curls to where they don't mesh to become one. I'm left with a head full of separate curls/ringlets. I spray each section that I curl before I ring it around my clipless Jose Eber curling iron. No frizz, no crunchies, and all day hold. The curls come out beautiful and no need for hairspray afterwards. Picture is posted of results. First time I've ever done this with a product...I went out to Ulta and bought 4 more of these bottles on a bogo 50% off sale.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 4:39:00 PM More reviews by sjulien

When I first started curling my hair I noticed the curls weren't holding that great throughout the day. I had a friend who always had beautiful curly hair and I remember it was a rainy day when I asked her how she got her curls to stay all day with the gross humid rainy weather. She told me about spray starch and hot sets. I went to the salon and picked a bottle up a year and a half ago. I think I am now on my 4th bottle as I don't curl my hair that often anymore but when I do, I always use this product.

It holds curls very well and can make it a little crispy. I like running my hands through my hair during the day so I like that I can mess it up after curling and it will still hold.

It is a multi-use product and can also be used for straightening hair but i've never used it for that purpose.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2012 8:36:00 AM More reviews by nicolefox_ot

I've purchased this a few times and really like it. I use Spray Starch with my curling iron to tame my very thick and course hair. It's one of the few products that really helps keep my hair under control - much more smooth. This product will only give you control (you can also use as a finishing spray) and heat protection and not shine like some other products. I took off a star, because I'm not crazy about the smell - smells like hair spray, nothing special. I paid about $15 for a 5 oz bottle at Ulta.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by thelgfunk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have gone through three bottles of this.... it's a must have if you flat iron your hair on a regular basis! I have a friend who is a hair stylist who says this works as a heat protector, and my hair has not been damaged from being straightened while using this. This literally starches your hair so it stays straight even in the WORST humidity! It also doubles as a finishing spray. It's amazing.