November 24, 2014 | 1775 users online

Styling Products - Finesse - Finesse Extra Control Mousse

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by melissa1102

I've been using the original formula of this mousse since 2008. They recently changed the formula and took out "Glycerin" from the ingredients and I am much more in-love! With the previous formula, I always had to be careful using it while humidity or dew-points were really high. Now, I can use it all the time without problems. You may want to add a leave-in conditioner underneath or maybe a serum. And I would add a tiny bit of LA Looks Gel on top of it if the dew point is above 60. Just try it, I usually find it for $3-$5.

PS. I have 2C curls.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2013 8:41:00 AM More reviews by liz1644

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I mean this was okay, but it didn't really work for me.

PROS:
-smells good
-easy to use
-good price
-got rid of a little frizz

CONS:
-made my hair crunchy sometimes
-didn't do much for frizz
-didn't add shine
-didn't really hold my curls very well

This seems like it would work better for someone with much thicker hair than me. My hair is so thin, it didn't seem like I could ever get the right amount for my hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2013 1:47:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Since Finesse repackaged recently, this is still called Extra Control Mousse, but it also says "Self Adjusting for Consistently Beautiful Hair" under the Finesse name on the container. All of their mousse products have this that are currently listed on the Finesse website along with "with a touch of conditioning at the bottom of the container). BTW, the other mousse products currently listed (but I have not found in stores near me) are: Curl Defining, Volumizing, & Extra Control (this mousse).

This is a very soft hold mousse that creates no crunch what so ever. On my uber fine wavy, curly hair, that I diffuse dry my hair is just ok, not seeing much of a difference than if I didn't use it except maybe a little less static-y. Honestly, how I usually do my hair (AG Recoil Curl Activator + mousse for extra hold followed by diffusing dry), I don't think I will use this again. However, for those that air dry...this might be worth a try. It isn't enough hold the way I currently do my hair though.

FYI - This is lighter weight than the Dove Whipped mousse and feels better than the Pantene curls mousse. Way less hold than Suave Max Hold mousse or Joiwhip.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2011 8:44:00 PM More reviews by lilacmess

I love the Finesse scent, but this does absolutely nothing for my fine, wavy hair.

Update: I went up from a 2 to a 3 for the rating -this is better for my hair now that there's some humidity in the air and I have a shorter cut. I don't think I'll buy it again, but I do love that scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/16/2009 8:21:00 PM More reviews by jojenja9

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have fine, straight hair, but it is not too thin, and styles well. I saw no difference in hold or volume using this product. I bought two at Walgreens because it was on sale. That will probably last for the rest of my life.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2006 3:31:00 PM More reviews by naturalblondee92

Wow, I love this stuff! My hair has some natural waves, but when i just let my hair dry naturally without any products, it looks pretty bad. Before, I would scrunch my hair with Herbal Essences Totally Twisted mousse and gel. They gave my waves definition, but also made my hair look wet, feel crunchy, and frizz a little. This stuff is AMAZING. I scrunch a golfball-size dallop through wet hair and let my hair air-dry. This creates soft, definied waves that feel silky and aren't crunchy or frizzy. I will definitely buy this again!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2006 10:52:00 AM More reviews by abbyten

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

For some reason my hair has gotten finer (not thinner) over the past year and my previously easy to style hair has become a real pain - often too soft to do much with, and flyaways are a constant a problem. I had tried various styling products but wasn't very happy with any of them. I am so thankful that I read the reviews for this product on MUA because it's not that easy to find (I found it on the bottom shelf of a local Rite-Aid), and I would never have even known it existed. This mousse is wonderful!! It gives my hair tons of body and volume and helps to control the dreaded flyaways. It leaves my hair very smooth, shiny and healthy, and it doesn't leave my hair coated and stiff like a lot of other styling products. A great find and very reasonably priced.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2005 11:26:00 PM More reviews by GODSMACKSGURL

I have permed hair and have been using this mousse for years and is the only one I've found that has enough control to make my curls last all day but not stiff or crunchy. I've used so many other mousses that either were very watery or foamy and made my curls limp or lifeless or highly concentrated and made my curls hard and stiff. I am currently using their new mousse for curl defining and it works even better on curls but have used this one as well for many years.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2005 10:59:00 AM More reviews by scraps

!! Mousse Nirvana !! Couldn't have said it better myself!! Really great and really nice price, try the hairspray too....

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2004 6:31:00 PM More reviews by trixkiddo

Wow. I am in love with this mousse. It's completely different from anything I've ever felt for my hair. It comes out almost like a frothy cream. Plus, it's so light, it makes my hair feel sleek and soft (thanks to the silk protein). If you're looking for major hold or volume, you should skip it. But for my everyday hair, this is perfect.