July 29, 2014 | 2092 users online

Skincare - Face - Olay - Age Defying Protective Renewal Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 9:50:00 AM More reviews by saramason111

I'm so glad I (re)found this spf! I have a similar story to one of the reviewers here in that when I was a junior and senior in college my mother always would ask,"Do you have foundation on? Don't wear makeup it's bad for your skin." And I'd say no I don't have any makeup on--just spf 15. She'd squint at me skeptically. She'd always ask if I had blush on my cheeks too and the answer again was "no." I still remember on my graduation day my skin looked perfect and people commenting on it.

Well, at around 26 years old, I moved to the inner city that had a poorly stocked cvs and since I had no car, I stopped using this lotion and have used countless sunscreens, serums, you name it throughout the years. And now, at 35 years old I thought that my once perfect skin was simply due to being in my twenties and that I'd never see it again unless I get a glycolic peel or some sort of professional treatment.

I came across this olay product at $10 a bottle at CVS and bought it; remembering that I'd used it for a few years "back in the day." Wouldn't you know that after 3 days' use, my skin is evenly gorgeous, plumped, and the rose in my cheeks has returned. I don't know what is in this lotion because I've read the ingredient list and there's nothing spectacular in it that does what it's doing so miraculously, but it makes my skin beautiful. Yes, the lotion is runny and goes on shiny and wet, but after 3 minutes, it dries to a lovely finish. I will never stop using it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by Jennlw5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The first thing you will notice is the heavy perfumed fragrance to this lotion. Squeeze the bottle carefully or too much will glob out on you.
I have been suffering with red, dry, flaky skin this winter and found it didn't help at all with dryness and made no difference to my skin.
Apart from the sunscreen, there really isn't much in the way of skin beneficial ingredients or ingredients to help with dry skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by Upkeep38

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I usually use the Olay complete but the store was out so I decided to try this. It's cool doesn't break you out. I'm pretty sensitive in skin area especially as I've gotten older (37) . I'd use it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by socalgurl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I originally used the older Olay Complete moisturizer for normal skin (the one that had Zinc Oxide). Then they changed the formula and I had to use the sensitive skin version. But it didnt feel as nice as the original one for normal skin.

Anyway one day I went to Target and was bored waiting for my mom to buy stuff so I looked at all the ingredients for different Olay moisturizers and saw that this one had Zinc Oxide as well as vitamin c and vitamin e so I decided to try it. I have been using it for almost a year now and I really like it! I was kinda iffy about using it since I am only 21 and it's for "age defying," but I love the light fresh smell and the way it goes onto my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Ok guys, this is my story. I was using Cerave for a long time, then picked up Olay Regenerist Night Cream, Olay Total Effects unscented day cream and a CVS serum comparable to Regenerist serum. I had been having break outs for a bit but they seemed to be worsening. That's when I found out I have a niacinamide reaction and had to stop using all of that. Thankfully, due to this site, I found Olay Total Effects Blemish Control wash and that's been great. But I was still looking for good creams. I called Olay and they sent me coupons to replace what gave me a reaction and due to reviews I picked up this and Olay Age Defying Classic Night Cream.

Review:
First of all, my box looks a little different and it says "classic" on it. At first I thought it's the same thing, maybe the other one was just older, but when I checked on here, I realized the ingredients *are* different. At first I thought it was a typo, but both creams have the same issue. Maybe Olay added "Classic" so people would know it's the old product, yet they added Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer instead of Polyacrylamide. That worries me because I specifically looked for the products I found with good reviews and extra chemicals is an issue since I'm clearly sensitive to products. Olay has gone from classic trusted to chemically laden and I don't like it.
This cream feels good, doesn't stink like hell and goes on well. However, I did notice a few more whiteheads than normal after the second day so I'm trying to find out which product (if any) did that. I am singling them out using just one at a time to find out. A few whiteheads is better than what I had before, but everyone deserves reaction free products and clear skin and I won't use a product if I know it's doing that. I will update with the news. But feeling a little skeptical :UPDATE: Ok, I tried this multiple ways, stopped it (to see if I still breakout without it), one side of the face, (with the night cream on the other) and in the end I have to say that this is NOT breaking me out. So far it's good, the smell is way better than the newer Olay products, and this actually feels ok. Very light and nice. May actually like this, but would need more time to tell in the long run if it's actually *doing* anything. But passes the 'break out' test, and that's major for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by jamandjellypicnic

I use this along with the Olay Age Defying Renewal Cleaser (see other review). I have 4 words to describe this moisturizer. I love, love, love it! Both the cleanser and matching lotion have changed my skin. I swear I've noticed even a few unfortunate icepick and bumpy acne scars disappear. It's just smoothing and refinining my skin like nothing I've used before. I enjoy it so much that I usually wear it in the evening too, even though it has some SPF in it. It never irritates my skin and actually helps clear it, so why not right? Plus the whole Age Defying line smells like soap and rose (at least to me) so it's such a pleasure to use morning and night.

I also love the price and availability of it too. Here in Canada there's never really been a problem finding it in drugstores but I did just notice that Olay has repacked a lot of their line, so I'm guessing that might be why its been hard for some of the Americans on here to find it. None the less, it looks like it's a product that Olay feels is worth repackaging, so I'm thinking it's probably here to stay. Thank god! I would would seriously cry if it was ever discontinued!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 5:50:00 AM More reviews by psmitty

Great stuff! I agree with a previous reviewer- I haven't seen this on the shelves for a while. Perhaps Olay brought it back? In any case, I'm a long-time devotee to the daly renewal cream with BHA. It works amazingly well for my very sensitive, acne prone skin. This is similiar- it sinks right in, provides a smooth base without making me oily. It's reasonable, especially on sale. No breakouts. I will continue to repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2011 12:41:00 PM More reviews by erika123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this for over 10 years (I pray they never stop making this) I will tell ya I am 42 & no joke pass for 28 all the time - I believe that this has kept the wrinkles away - I even get carded sometimes for lottery :) Nothing makes my skin more soft or smooth than this product - I have strayed and even bought super expensive stuff and nothing works like this miracle...
I love it & will use it forever!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/2/2011 5:38:00 PM More reviews by jarms81

I have had this bottle staring at me for awhile, from time to time I used it whenever I had run out of whatever moisturizing I am currently using. I just found makeup alley, and decided to read the reviews of this product. Reading all of the reviews I got really excited, and thought that I have been a dummy for having had this in my house all this time and not really using it. So I immediately washed my face and put on my L'Oreal Skin Genesis Serum (currently testing this), as I do before I apply a moisturizer, then happily applied this Olay Renewal lotion in hopes this would make my skin as amazing as all the reviews from others claimed, this was NOT the case. I didn't apply any makeup, just hanging around the house, about a half hour later I looked and the mirror and my face was so shiny and oily looking, I blotted some of the oil away and thought maybe I put too much on. A few hours later i touched my forehead and it was sooooooo oily feeling. So I washed my face and applied my regular moisturizer. I am so disappointed! I was hoping I had finally found MY secret to amazing skin. I am thinking that maybe I should try it again without my serum underneath to see if maybe these to products just hate each other. So I will update my review once I try that, fingers crossed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2011 2:59:00 AM More reviews by EternityintheRain

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh my god, it's back! Or maybe it never left...all I know is, that for the last 3 years, I've been looking for this frantically, and never once found it locally. I thought it was discontinued. For those three years, I made an obsessive "voyage" around my state to find this (that and to satisfy my travel bug). I found this in a CVS exactly 53 miles from where I live. I bought every single bottle in they had. All 19 of them. You'd think, "dammmmnnn, this chick is nuts!". Maybe borderline insane, but if you understood that this is what has/had made my skin nearly close to perfection (even, bright, blemish-free,"pore-less" and super soft skin), you'd perhaps sympathize with me.

Thanks to this remarkable lotion, until the age of 17, I thought I had perfect skin. The last time I saw a freckle or a "liver spot" was at age 13 and I would never need an exfoliator to "brighten" my skin until I stopped using it. My friends, teachers, family and infinite strangers would randomly comment on how beautiful my skin was. My mom said that the only thing that had more "life" than my smile(my best feature), was my skin. I never once "broke" out during my teenage years, except one day after seriously working out to Turbo Jam. I never wore foundation, sunscreen(this had it), or any other skin care products other than this. It helped me become more confident is those crazy years, when my friends would freak out about acne, and my brother broke out as well. I was so naive to think, that perhaps I had lucked out. When I could no longer find this, within a month of finishing my last bottle, my skin went into haywire...I finally understood why many of my girlfriends were so insecure of their skin.

Sunspots came from everywhere, my dark circles made me look beat up, my skin became somehow rough and oily at the same time, blackheads...tons of them. I had pigmentation spots all over my cheekbone and eye areas. What was a blanket of confidence and security was becoming slowly...well...just "normal".In a crazy attempt to rescue my skin, I began "smutting" it to every product in Olay and every other brand imaginable. Most of them left me unsatisfied, unhappy, & broke. I tried the cream version of this, and it was too heavy, too thick. Too small too.

What makes this lotion so special from others? Its formulation is perfect for my skin, it just drinks it, and does not leave a greasy film. It goes on smooth, and the only lotion I've ever tried that does not clog my pores, despite its sunscreen content. It has little to no fragrance, I was never aware it had any. I have a bad nose anyway. I can wear it day and night, and my skin looks better each day. Oh, and did I mention it is cheap too? It's about $11.00 for 4oz.

I recommend this to anyone with normal skin with mild pigmentation problems. To anyone that might have combination skin maybe. To anyone that wants to get started on BHas. Quite frankly I can't see who this would do nothing to. I'm honestly surprised it is not more popular really. To me this is one of the greatest things I've ever come across. I've been using it again for two weeks, and my skin, which was uneven and just plain horrid (lack of sleep too), returned to its beautiful, stunning self in a week. Trust me I'm not bluffin', I've taken pictures every day to verify. I'm one of those people that tries to keep to herself the "jewels" that make her look a certain way. I learned that from my mother. But today I am beyond happy, and with a great deal of pride, and my renewed confidence, I urge you to try it. I am not saying this will be "holy grail" for everyone, but it was for me. It has to work for someone else out there too.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No