April 16, 2014 | 1587 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Beautiful Collection Semi-Permanent Hair Color

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by Petitepunk9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got one bottle of this to use as a rinse until I could apply demi permanent color to my thick dark brown shoulder length texlaxed hair.

I wanted to go JET BLACK and I got this in the color JET BLACK! I had texlaxed my hair 2 days prior to applying, and my hair is pretty porous. So I prepooed, shampooed, deep conditioned, then I applied this to my hair and left it on with heat for 30 mins & without heat for 5.

My color was SO RICH!! My hair was so soft. It looked amazing and I loved it! My hair did feel a little waxy, but it could've been my leave-in interfering with the dye. After about a week however; the dye faded without me even washing my hair or sweating it out...

So overall the color was very rich, but the lasting power was poor (like most rinses)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by beachesatnormandy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this product to test out a color on my hair. I have long, thin, very very fine brown hair. I used the Advanced Gray Solution formula in Mahogany Red Brown even though I don't have gray to cover. I loved it. It did not leave any waxy residue on my hair, or did it dry it out, or leave it corse. It comes out shiny, smelling good, very soft, and perfect. I leave it on for 45mins - 1 hour. I rub it into my scalp and then put it up in a cap. I wash my hair daily so this only lasts about a week for me, but my hair looks amazing the entire time.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/12/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Oafangere

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is a true semi-permanent, non damaging color that washes out and could in no way wreck your hair. That I think is fantastic. Although, for me it didn't really work to deposit the color (prob due to my hair.)

My hair is highlighted and this colored it about as much as a toner would. It made the blond pieces I tried to darken with the light ash brown just a warmer shade of blonde--I might try using this after a clarifying shampoo next time, or leave it on longer and see if I get more color deposit. My hair was a nice texture afterwards, and I bet it would be great for other hair types (black/brown/red/light brown, graying hair.) it's very subtle on hair that's been lightened blonde.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2012 10:47:00 PM More reviews by SageBrush

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had been using several different box semi-perm colors and they all dried hair out and were too red. I bought a bottle of this at Sally Beauty Supply. It blends my grays nicely and medium warm brown looks very natural on me. My own natural golden highlights show through.

The Clairol web site says it only last for approximately12 shampoos. I can shampoo once a week and use dry shampoo between. (It makes the color last longer.) My hair stylist commented that my hair was soft and nicely colored! I just bought 6 bottles on sale at Sally. Should last me about 6 months or more. It's very easy to apply and one bottle covers my thick, shoulder length hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2012 5:29:00 PM More reviews by thaonlylakergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this faithfully in jet black to cover my grays. It covers very well but it only lasts a week! No exaggeration here. I even leave it on longer than the instructions tell you and it still doesn't last but I'm stuck with it because I am allergic to permanent dyes and this one is so gentle.

Every now and then I try one of the reddish shades and it takes well on my dark hair which was suprising to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2012 7:28:00 PM More reviews by amyk0202

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My mother bought this for my daughter who wanted to change her hair color but didn't want it to be permanent. My daughter's hair is light brown & had never been colored before. They got the jet black color which should have had no problem with coverage. Her hair is shoulder length. She followed all the directions & after processing, it was barely dark brown. Since she had another package, she wet her hair down & tried it again & still ended up with brown hair--definitely not anywhere near jet black. The color did not even last a week & all that week it was actively coming out of her hair--staining the towels after her shower. This was really the most awful stuff I have ever seen. After this experience, I took her & bought her the Ion Color Brilliance Demi Permanent in blue black & it worked great.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2012 4:31:00 PM More reviews by AddyPug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for something to add some warmth to my hair which was a neutral level 3 brown at the roots and a little lighter at the ends. I didn't want to use anything with ammonia or peroxide because my hair had been bleached in the past and I was looking for something that would not damage my hair any more. This stuff worked great. I used Cedar red Brown, a level 4, because I did not want to go any darker than I already was. It came out exactly how I wanted, adding a red tint to my hair, and giving it a warm reddish glow in the light. I applied it to my roots first then pulled it through the ends for the last five minutes because my ends are dry and often drink up too much color. It worked perfectly. My hair is only slightly darker, still a level three, which is to be expected with a deposit only color. Anyone using this color will NOT be able to go lighter because it does not contain ammonia or peroxide.
A few people on here complained about feeling a waxy substance left behind but I had no such experience. It did take a long time to rinse out (more than I am used to) but afterward my hair felt so soft and was so shiny! My only complaint is that it was a little drippy since it is not very thick, but as long as you know that ahead of time and are prepared you will be all set.
In the past I have used natural instincts and other drug store brand semi-permanent hair colors to liven up my neutral brown locks but they always came out much darker that I wanted and did not provide the beautiful red hue I was looking for. This stuff did so without overly darkening my hair and I am excited to try another color in a month or so

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2012 7:25:00 PM More reviews by Suzie2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use the Advanced Gray Solution and I really like it. To get a color I like, I have to mix one bottle of light golden chestnut with two bottles of rich dark brown. I use the mixed solution on my roots every two weeks. Three bottles last about two months. I apply the product to dry hair then I use a hair coloring brush to even out the application along my roots. I put on a hair cap and leave it on for over an hour. Then I wash my hair using Quantum Beautiful Browns shampoo and condition. It seems to build up with every application so that applying to my roots is sufficient.

My hair grows really fast and I need to color my roots every two to three weeks anyway. Even with a demi-permanentnt hair color, my hair was getting very damaged. My hairdresser said she could tell from my hair when I switched to this hair color because my hair is in better condition closer to my scalp. I really like it because my hair seems to be very easily damaged and I needed a solution to cover my fast growing gray hair without damaging my hair further.

Update: 1/12/2013
I just called Clairol to see why they suggest applying this to damp hair, and she said it helps it adhere better and the color will last longer. She also said the difference between the regular Beautiful collection and the Advanced Gray Solution, is the AGS has the added ingredient toulene in the form of Toluene-2,5-Diamine Sulfate. She assured me that toulene will not damage my hair at all, but I wonder if I should switch to the regular Beautiful collection.

Update 11/23/2013

I no longer use this, I find Wella Charm demi-permanent from Sally's is much better and lasts longer.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2012 3:51:00 PM More reviews by classicfilmbroad

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I picked this up to dye a student's hair for a play (I'm a theatre teacher). I mixed one bottle of Rosewood Brown (level 3) with two bottles of Medium Warm Brown (also level 3) in my own applicator bottle. The resulting color was absolutely gorgeous! It turned out to be a medium-dark auburn -- a little more red than I had wanted, but it still turned out very well. I can't speak to lasting power yet, but will find out when I see her again in three days. We only need it to stay in her hair for three evenings for the play.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by seira7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Maybe I had some kind of allergic reaction to this, but it induced hair loss. I have never had that happen with a product before, so I was really shocked...going back to using ION semi which I have never had a problem with...
=(