April 19, 2014 | 1115 users online

Lip Liners - MAC - Half-Red

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2013 4:24:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I bought this because it looked like a neutral colour for my highly pigmented lips. It also produces a lovely dark pinky brown colour if you put a few coats. I find that despite this being a lip liner, when I apply it all over my lips, it feels like I need my lips to be outlined (perhaps because it matches so well with my skin). I'm not sure why it's called Half Red - it is certainly not red but I knew that when I bought it so that's alright.

As all lip pencils are, it's certainly drying - but not as drying as Lancome's lip pencil - and you need to balm and blot before applying which makes it a bit irritating to do touch ups.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by mizsockmonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Half-Red is the bomb. No joke. I've had this in my bag for a while and can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet. It's one of those workhorses that I don't even have to think about. If my face needs to be perked up, I just need a swipe of Half-Red to fix that right up.

I don't usually use it in a traditional liner sense. Generally, I use it to lightly fill in my entire lip. Sometimes I'll cover that with a gloss. Other times, I'll just leave the Half-Red. It's a nice neutral color that adds punch but isn't overpowering.

I love you, Half-Red! Don't ever leave me.

Oh yeah, and MAC liners last forever in my experience. So unless i lose it, I won't be repurchasing for a while, but when it's gone, I definitely will.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by TeeTeeRarr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Half-Red is quite an enigma to me. This is one of those lip pencils that you must try yourself regardless of what reviews describe it to be. I say this because the color changes depending on your skin tone. Even though it is called Half Red, there is nothing red about it on me. Instead, it comes out as pink on my NW45 skin tone. The MAC girl that was helping me tried it on her much lighter complexion and it came out as a deep purple on her! This wears well, lasts a long time and is such a lovely color on me, I can wear it alone. When I am too lazy to deal with reapplying lipsticks, I just shade my lips with Half-Red, line the edges with Cork and finish off with the Viva Glam Nicki Pink Lipglass and I am good for the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2012 1:33:00 PM More reviews by missmoffat

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of the best lip liner pencils I have used. Works great with YSL Black Tulip lipstck. I had bought a dark violet lipliner to go with the lipstick, but the effect was much better with the MAC Half-Red. Sort of softened the overall violetness effect of the lipstick color. Half-Red is great with Clinques lipstick A Different Grape. Am going to try it with Revlon's Raisin Rage, sure it will work. What I particularily like about this liner and other MAC liners, is that they are opaque, no little sparklies, the texture is consistant, and it stays put.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2012 5:26:00 AM More reviews by jordanXO

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love it!!!
Believe it or not, it looks great under Mac creme cup! I just prime my lips with mac prep+prime lip (which is amazing by the way), thenline my lips and fill them with this pencil (lightly! I also use a lip brush to make sure it's all one color and so I won't need to use as much) and apply some of creme cup (not to much) and blend again with the lip brush. Sometimes I even add a bit of Clinique extreme pink lipstick in the middle of my lips and blend, then some clear or baby pink gloss and voila! The perfect,everyday sexy lip!
Complicated, I know.
My mom uses this under viva glam III (I think!) for a darker look and it's gorgeous, though too dark for me.
This liner looks great on its own or under some clear gloss!
Don't be afraid of it's dark color, it can be toned down.
This pencil is some kind of muted burgundy.
Hope you found this helpful!!

For reference - in nw15-20, rose ivory on Laura mercier silk creme, blue eyes and light brown-dirty-blond hair.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 3:17:00 AM More reviews by bjdp55

great liner. goes perfect with twig lipstick,

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by sophrosyne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This pencil is MAC's best-kept secret. It deserves to be as popular as Spice. The color is an extremely muted, almost clay-like burgundy, so muted that you can wear it with a variety of neutral-to-cool hues, from light mauve to deep maroon. It also looks great on its own. It doesn't "pop" like most burgundies, but that's the point. Sometimes you want the clean, polished, well-groomed look of a red lip without the bold statement of a genuinely red lipstick or liner, and this is what Half Red delivers. I also like its opacity and evenness of application; they match those of Spice.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2011 10:09:00 PM More reviews by charb3

HG lip pencil! Brick red that just slightly enhances my lip line. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by suzannaelektra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this lip liner. It's not red in my opinion...more like muted burgandy. It's very creamy and goes with any medium pink lipstick... very sexy and would recommand to have in your stash.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by dundada

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Black

A MAC MUA suggested Half-Red lip pencil to me only because I told her I bought Captive and I wanted a good pencil for it to make the color of the lipstick appear warmer, but now I've decided that I hate Captive lipstick, I feel like I should have bought Craving instead, and now the Captive is just sitting there! LOL

Therefore so did the Half-Red, although on me it's not too different from a fave lip pencil of mine - the Beurre Cremestick Liner. But now that I've bought Snob lipstick recently, the Half-Red lip pencil looks beautiful with that and the Lust lipglass altogether. I'm really glad I have it now! The Half-Red lip pencil didn't totally change or take away from the color of Snob on me, it just made it more wearable and endearing to my skintone. I'm an NC45.