October 25, 2014 | 927 users online

Scrubs - St. Ives - St. Ives Gentle Apricot Scrub

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, it's better than the "original" formula and way less drying than the "Blackhead reducing" formula - but it's still too scratchy and harsh for my dry middle-aged PPP facial skin. Not for sensitive faces - that's for sure. Much too harsh.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by BeccaBxo

any St. Ives product is perfect for me. i have the most diffucult skin type - acne prone, scar prone and,combination. this is a great exfoliant. it makes a difference in the dryness and softness of my skin. i use it a few times a week in my face, neck and chest, in the shower and it does exactly what an exfoliant should do. and what bang for your buck!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/8/2014 3:54:00 PM More reviews by harpreetsahi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This scrub made my super dry skin worse and did nothing for my pores.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2014 1:23:00 PM More reviews by elle918

Not so "gentle". This wash still scratched my face and left it feeling awful. It smells nice, it has great packaging, and if it works for you, that's wonderful. My skin is just quite sensitive and doesn't really benefit much from scraping sand over it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 8:44:00 AM More reviews by tresadla

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A great exfoliator, really seems to get the grime off my skin, leaving it clear and fresh afterwards. Ive used many top brands but always come back to this one, its just got plenty of umpf in it.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by rocksmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff seems good for a physical exfoliator, but my sensistive skin just can't handle it. I was hoping to find a cheap alternative to my Philosophy Miracle Worker, but this is not it. After a couple uses I started noticing a fine rash/irritiation on my nose and cheeks. It's the same problem I had when using a clarisonic, so it's not from any of the "other" ingredients. I'll end up using it up as a body scrub but won't repurchase. For the price I'd say it's worth a try, especially if you don't have sensitive skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

I used this religiously as teen and even in college, then I did some research about skin and the collagen barrier and learned that this is a TERRIBLE product to use on the sensitive skin on the face, it is totally fine as a body scrub (and super cheap and nice smelling to boot) but I will never use this on my face again, it just is way too harsh.

Very reasonable, smells great and is an effective exfoliant, but will only use on body from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Mittenzzs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this stuff! It leaves my skin feeling so smooth and soft, and isn't too harsh. My skin glows after I use this. The amount I use this varies; sometimes I use it once a week, once every two weeks, or at most once every three days.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 5:50:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh St. Ives Apricot Scrub, how I wanted to like you but you just left me with terrible, terrible skin.

I used this scrub religiously as a teen because, way back in the 90s, there were very few products out there for us pimply faced kids. There was the iconic (and utterly useless) transparent Neutrogena bar, Clearasil, Oxy, Noxzema, and Sea Breeze. Ok, I'll admit, there was probably more stuff than that but my father was notoriously cheap and had little patience for his pizza faced daughter and her acne troubles. As such, the drugstore was about the only place I had access to and the only place I could go to spend my saved up lunch money on products that didn't work. As anyone with horrendous acne will tell you, everyone and their mama are always more than happy to give you unsolicited advice on what you can do to clear up your skin (I've always found this practice strange and rather rude because people with acne know they have it because it's on their face. There's no need to point it out and then offer some half baked advice to the uncomfortable and embarrassed person who didn't ask you for help). So yeah, I've heard it all without asking and yes, I've tried it all. On the unsolicited advice of someone who had crystal clear skin all through junior and high school, I bought this nifty scrub and scrubbed the daylights out of my poor face. I mean, who better to know what gets rid of acne than someone who was blessed with near perfect skin, right?

I'll say this much, this scrub has always been cheap and easy to find. If I had gone without awesome school lunches for two weeks to buy this only to get the same results (that would none), I would have been heartbroken instead of just slightly scarred both physically and mentally. Another plus, the scrub used to smell pretty nice. Other than that, there's really nothing great about this. It is very abrasive which, back in the day, we all thought was great for acne (or maybe it was just me). You're scrubbing that dastardly acne away! Yay! Thankfully, we know better now. Acne isn't caused by eating too many french fries or Snickers bars and scrubbing your skin to a pulp typically makes the problem worse. Case in point, I used to scrub the dickens out of my right cheek with this because I got acne there frequently. I ended up causing tiny tears in my skin and I still have pretty large pores on that one cheek. After I saw that develop, I wised up and stopped using it.

Now before anyone thinks I just decided to write a review to slam a product I tried 20 years ago, put your mind at ease. After moving on from this (My parents divorced and good old mom WAS sympathetic to my plight which meant a trip to the doctor and access to better skin care. Yes, mom rocks!), I got sucked back in a few years ago. For one reason or another, my skin freaked out and I tried everything under the sun to get it back under some sort of control. In my mania, I picked up a new bottle of this. After years of not scrubbing my face with walnut shells and peach colored paste, I forgot how harsh this is. I didn't go overboard like I did when I was a teen but I got the same bad results. This led me to conclude that St. Ives is probably an awesome exfoliate that leaves your skin glowing and apricot-y fresh if you're one of those lucky people who don't break out very often to begin with. On acne prone skin, using this is just like adding oil to the fire.

I still have the tube I bought two years ago to remind myself not to use this mess on my face again. I think this might be ok to use as a body scrub but I wouldn't recommend it for use on your face unless you just have very resilient skin and have no issues with acne. I'm sure this does work for some people (it's still around and does have some rave reviews after all), but if you're looking for something to clear up your acne - keep on movin'. Also heed the warning when others tell you that scrubbing your skin with an abrasive product will lead to issues you won't want to deal with later on.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by kristina93

I love this scrub, it leaves my skin feeling baby soft and gets rid of any dead skin cells. Although it's the gentle formula, it's not too mild and there is a good amount of exfoliating beads in it, but it doesn't feel really harsh. I use it once a week, so that I don't over exfoliate and irritate my skin, and it just renews my skin and smooths out the surface of the skin! The scent doesn't irritate my skin and this has not broken me out. I'd highly recommend it, especially considering how affordable it is.