April 23, 2014 | 1872 users online

Scrubs - St. Ives - St. Ives Gentle Apricot Scrub

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by rocksmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This stuff seems good for a physical exfoliator, but my sensistive skin just can't handle it. I was hoping to find a cheap alternative to my Philosophy Miracle Worker, but this is not it. After a couple uses I started noticing a fine rash/irritiation on my nose and cheeks. It's the same problem I had when using a clarisonic, so it's not from any of the "other" ingredients. I'll end up using it up as a body scrub but won't repurchase. For the price I'd say it's worth a try, especially if you don't have sensitive skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/16/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by misscynthia06

I used this religiously as teen and even in college, then I did some research about skin and the collagen barrier and learned that this is a TERRIBLE product to use on the sensitive skin on the face, it is totally fine as a body scrub (and super cheap and nice smelling to boot) but I will never use this on my face again, it just is way too harsh.

Very reasonable, smells great and is an effective exfoliant, but will only use on body from now on.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Mittenzzs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this stuff! It leaves my skin feeling so smooth and soft, and isn't too harsh. My skin glows after I use this. The amount I use this varies; sometimes I use it once a week, once every two weeks, or at most once every three days.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 5:50:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh St. Ives Apricot Scrub, how I wanted to like you but you just left me with terrible, terrible skin.

I used this scrub religiously as a teen because, way back in the 90s, there were very few products out there for us pimply faced kids. There was the iconic (and utterly useless) transparent Neutrogena bar, Clearasil, Oxy, Noxzema, and Sea Breeze. Ok, I'll admit, there was probably more stuff than that but my father was notoriously cheap and had little patience for his pizza faced daughter and her acne troubles. As such, the drugstore was about the only place I had access to and the only place I could go to spend my saved up lunch money on products that didn't work. As anyone with horrendous acne will tell you, everyone and their mama are always more than happy to give you unsolicited advice on what you can do to clear up your skin (I've always found this practice strange and rather rude because people with acne know they have it because it's on their face. There's no need to point it out and then offer some half baked advice to the uncomfortable and embarrassed person who didn't ask you for help). So yeah, I've heard it all without asking and yes, I've tried it all. On the unsolicited advice of someone who had crystal clear skin all through junior and high school, I bought this nifty scrub and scrubbed the daylights out of my poor face. I mean, who better to know what gets rid of acne than someone who was blessed with near perfect skin, right?

I'll say this much, this scrub has always been cheap and easy to find. If I had gone without awesome school lunches for two weeks to buy this only to get the same results (that would none), I would have been heartbroken instead of just slightly scarred both physically and mentally. Another plus, the scrub used to smell pretty nice. Other than that, there's really nothing great about this. It is very abrasive which, back in the day, we all thought was great for acne (or maybe it was just me). You're scrubbing that dastardly acne away! Yay! Thankfully, we know better now. Acne isn't caused by eating too many french fries or Snickers bars and scrubbing your skin to a pulp typically makes the problem worse. Case in point, I used to scrub the dickens out of my right cheek with this because I got acne there frequently. I ended up causing tiny tears in my skin and I still have pretty large pores on that one cheek. After I saw that develop, I wised up and stopped using it.

Now before anyone thinks I just decided to write a review to slam a product I tried 20 years ago, put your mind at ease. After moving on from this (My parents divorced and good old mom WAS sympathetic to my plight which meant a trip to the doctor and access to better skin care. Yes, mom rocks!), I got sucked back in a few years ago. For one reason or another, my skin freaked out and I tried everything under the sun to get it back under some sort of control. In my mania, I picked up a new bottle of this. After years of not scrubbing my face with walnut shells and peach colored paste, I forgot how harsh this is. I didn't go overboard like I did when I was a teen but I got the same bad results. This led me to conclude that St. Ives is probably an awesome exfoliate that leaves your skin glowing and apricot-y fresh if you're one of those lucky people who don't break out very often to begin with. On acne prone skin, using this is just like adding oil to the fire.

I still have the tube I bought two years ago to remind myself not to use this mess on my face again. I think this might be ok to use as a body scrub but I wouldn't recommend it for use on your face unless you just have very resilient skin and have no issues with acne. I'm sure this does work for some people (it's still around and does have some rave reviews after all), but if you're looking for something to clear up your acne - keep on movin'. Also heed the warning when others tell you that scrubbing your skin with an abrasive product will lead to issues you won't want to deal with later on.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by kristina93

I love this scrub, it leaves my skin feeling baby soft and gets rid of any dead skin cells. Although it's the gentle formula, it's not too mild and there is a good amount of exfoliating beads in it, but it doesn't feel really harsh. I use it once a week, so that I don't over exfoliate and irritate my skin, and it just renews my skin and smooths out the surface of the skin! The scent doesn't irritate my skin and this has not broken me out. I'd highly recommend it, especially considering how affordable it is.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/10/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by winniewyli21

The difference between the sensitive brand versus the normal apricot scrub to me is: less beads, more other ingredients.

With that said, the sensitive scrub did nothing for my dry flaky skin parts and the extra ingredients left a residue on my face and made it feel a lot more oily. I would recommend the original scrub over the sensitive scrub, but I have retired from St.Ives and am using ExfoliKate instead as an exfoliate and its great!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2012 12:53:00 AM More reviews by cjgroten10

I know lots of people say that this product tears up your pores but as long as you don't rub it like you're scrubbing you'll be fine. I like this one because it is a strictly scrub, there is no medication in it. Medication makes my skin sooooo dry. Anyways I thought I'd try this out because I get hormonal cysts quite often and I thought it might keep the skin from clogging... don't laugh I'm getting desperate! Well I've only been using this for about a week and I am so pleased with it! My skin feels so soft and more even toned. I've also had about 11-15 milia spots on my cheek and nothing can get rid of them! well tonight, just for fun I tried getting them out and they came out like a charm! Most of them, all but like 4 but I don't care about that at all!! I attribute that success to this scrub because nothing else has worked since using this. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who just needs a general scrub, nothing too harsh. Just to keep the dead skin cells regularly shedding. Hope this helps!

** I should also say that I use this at nights only but only after cleansing with CeraVe. That way I don't have to use hard pressure because my face will have already been cleansed

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Mimiii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this! I use it once a week, every Wednesday if you're womdering. I finished it completely and am now using the Neutrogena Rapid Clear Foaming Scrub, since I enjoy trying different srubs. I'm also using the new formula. This scrub leaves my skin sososo soft and my skin tone is actually better and more even! It does such a fantastic job at exfoliating! I have combination, but very acne prone skin and this helps remove all the dead skin cells from my face and I feel like it has actually helped with my acne, altough this doesn't have any acne medication in it. I do like the smell, it doesn't bother me and I feel like it really does help get my skin clear! I brought the one for sensitive skin because any apricot scrub is harsh enough, so I wanted to get the most gentle one out there so it wouldn't irritate my skin! All in all, a great product for a good price and if you don't like it for your face, you can even use it on your body; I do sometimes!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2012 1:43:00 AM More reviews by simplyexquisite

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this product. I use this every other day just to let my skin set the day off. I love the smell, the texture and just everything about it. It makes your skin feel amazing and you can use it all over your body every once in a while as I have tried and still love the results, lol. It definitely gets the job done and gets those dead skin cells off and leaves your face feeling amazing. It doesn't dry your skin out and isn't harsh on your gentle skin either. I never used to exfoliate period until about April 2012 and I'm 15, so can you imagine how much skin was building up? Especially became I am acne- prone. This product leaves your skin glowing and boosts your confidence. I definitely recommend it for anybody who's struggling to find something worth while.. St. Ives is it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by jamandjellypicnic

I'm seriously wondering if most of the negative reviews here are of people still using the older formula/version. I don't know if St. Ives even changed it, but that's the only way I can understand how anyone would hate this. After a month of daily (yes DAILY) use on my super sensitive skin it's becoming quite obvious that this scrub is wiping the floor with all the previous scrubs I've used before. I'll try and give my take on all aspects of it so you can see I am grading it from a pretty fair place:
~The bottle is alright...since repackaging it's gotten a little tackier IMO, but I'm hoping that's because it is a more environmentally friendly bottle. Either way it's easy to squeeze and doesn't leak, so that is a positive.
~The smell is great. A very fresh, citrusy, fruity, light smell. If I had to put my finger on it I would describe it honestly as what a perfume with apricot base notes would smell like. The scent does not bother my skin either.
~It's SUPER cheap. Let me repeat, even in Canada, this product (and line) is dirt cheap. Yay!
~You can buy it at any drugstore, grocery store, pharmacy, etc.
~It rinses completely clean (dispite what numerous strange reviews say here about it somehow leaving a film). It also removes both liquid and powder foundation in one easy wash for me.
~And last but not least, it's without a doubt gentle enough for me to use everyday. And believe me, I have sensitive skin. Like burning and red skin sensitive. It's actually gotten so much less irritated by using this. And of course I use this with a very gentle hand, but anyone who scrubs hard on their face with ANY product, even the softest of baby washcloth's is asking for irritation!
I hope this helps someone decide to try this scrub. I honestly love it and I have tried soooo many drugstore, high end, department store, dermatologist, and even special mail order brands!