Schwarzkopf LIVE Hair Dyes

3.2

I've used several of the Live Colour XXL over the years. The first time I used one was when I was 15 (and highly inexperienced when it came to boxed dyes, may I add!), I used '00a Absolute Platinum' on my dark brown hair, but since I used it on already dyed hair it turned very orange. I knew it was my fault, because the roots where the virgin hair was turned this beautiful white-yellow, but it should say somewhere that it's not appropriate for already dyed hair as I don't believe it does.

A few months later I decided to dye it red, and used '43 Red Passion' and let me tell you, it's the best red colour for hair I'd ever seen, if I say so myself! I was terrified of turning orange since I'd only bleached my hair a few months prior, but not once did it turn orange. It was more of a darker red, closer to crimson really, so it wouldn't be ideal for anyone who wanted a bright, bright colour. I used this on my roots regularly for over a year later and it worked just as well on my dark brown virgin hair. The only downside with this product is that since it's red, it's incredibly hard to get out of hair! Don't bother trying to go lighter until you're sure you've stripped it completely from your hair.

About 7 months ago I went to the salon to get a high blonde ombre in my dark brown hair, & decided the other day I wanted to have a full head of blonde hair, so I grabbed a packet of the '00a Absolute Platinum' again. I used a dye brush to apply it (which is a shame they don't include in the box) and left it to develop for 30-35 minutes. I was freaking out for that entire half an hour because I could see the orange colour that I got years ago coming through, but once I washed it and dried it, it came out this brassy blonde colour, which I was happy with. I do have some darker patches unfortunately, I thought I'd only need one box since I was only doing my roots down to my ears, but it's a relatively cheap product so I've just bought another box to fill in the gaps. It's nowhere near the colour it said it'd be on the box, but as a bleach/lightener it's worked a treat! I'm going to use some toners and purple shampoo to lessen the brassiness, but once my hair recovers I will definitely use this again to lighten.

So yeah, I've had some good experiences with XXL Live in my hair dye needs & they're always the first brand I go for in the shop.

on 12/22/2014 6:23:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have been using schwarzkoph hair products for quite a long time. i love their hair color and also like the hair color treatment products. i've found an article where the best schwarzkoph product reviews are given. you will like reading it too, i guess: http://orderandsave.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/complete-hair-care-solution-schwarzkopf-hair-products/

on 7/6/2014 7:07:00 AM

I bought 43 Red Passion. This colour is fine for virgin hair, but if your hair is in any way treated already, especially with bleach, stay well away. the virgin hair at my root came out ok, just a red tinge of brown, since this colour cannot lift the colour of my natural hair, which is a medium brown. However the midshafts and ends are not good. Patchy and very uneven. This box is not a great choice for colour levelling, so if that's what you are trying to do, best go to Sally's and get something professional.

on 6/16/2013 12:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is good! It dyes your hair without bleaching its amazing

on 11/23/2012 6:54:00 AM

Wow, I am impressed with this dye.

My hair is naturally medium brown but I have been bleaching it for years so already when I coloured it, it was a light blonde.

Basically, I had roots regrowth and the underside of my hair needed brightening (to blonde). I picked 'Max Blonde' as it was the lightest of all the blonde shades. I was slightly worried it would come out 'platinum'/that horrible white colour but thankfully it didn't!

I left it on about 25 minutes and it came out the most realistic, natural blonde, I'm so pleased!

I usually mix up my own powder/bleach using Jerome Russell but this seems a lot better conditioning as Jerome Russell can sometimes seem a bit drying. Plus this was easier to get all the back/underside bits because it's more liquiddy in texture than the creamy/dry Jerome Russell.

Definitely will repurchase, for £4 you can't go wrong. This would cost me £100+ with the length of my hair in a salon!

on 9/23/2012 6:49:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Omg this stuff actually lightens your hair without bleeching it ! I've dyed my hair loads of time to lighten my hair as its naturally a dark brown colour. So I decided to ombré my hair and bought the platinum blonde colour and it worked !!!!!! I left it on for about 20mins and the results came out perfect considering I've used other hair dyes. Would highly recommend if u wana ombré dark hair.

on 9/23/2012 6:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

I've used Schwarzkopf Live hair dyes for years; mainly I stick to the XXL Live range as the purple shades are my favourite, but I've also used the Live Luminance, Live Salon Style and the new Color Mask range. I sometimes try another brand now and then, but I always return to Schwarzkopf Live as the colour swathes on the boxes are the most reliable out of popular DIY har dye brands I've used, such as Schwarskopf, L'Oreal, Garnier, John Frieda and Clarol.

In my ongoing hair colour journey only XXL Live Real Red has disappointed me, as though the colour turned out like the box's model, it faded very quickly. Yes, I know that red dyes are the fastest to fade, but Real Red still fades quicker then is usual for red; within a week my hair had dulled to a murky copper tone. The Live Luminance [Ultra Violet] shade I tried was underwhelming; not bad, but not great either - more pink/red, then violet.

"Meh" results aside, I have had much more hits then misses with Live; XXL Live's Max Blonde, Absolute Platinum, Red Passion, Mystic Violet, Hypnotic Red, Glam Rock Black, Cyber Purple, Live Salon Style in Dark Violet and Color Mask in Dark Blonde are the shades I have fond memories off. They're all permanent shades, that haven't damaged my hair and all have left my hair shiny. The non-red shades all have minimal fade, in fact I often don't even need to bother with a colour protecting shampoo or conditioner, as the colour fade is so unnoticeable!

There is not much else to say; Schwarzkopf dyes are affordable when they're full priced, and there are often BOGOF or other money saving offers on them in Boots, Superdrug or Asda.

on 7/28/2012 6:33:00 AM

I have used XXL Live for years. I have tried Red Passion, Cosmic Blue, Red Black, Cyber Purple, Intense Red, Jet Black, Mystic Violet and Hypnotic Red. I have also used Absolute Platinum Max Blonde and Ice Blonde (When Lightening My Hair). Due to me changing my hair colour quite often I've noticed my hair can become dry after lightening mainly. To keep my hair healthy I use Loreal Elvive Colour Protect shampoo and conditioner. It keeps your hair in good condition after dying. I've noticed if you want a bright result you need to lighten your hair first. The real pain is getting the black out after using XXL Live to go another colour. You end up ginger a few shades later but I only lighten twice before putting another colour over it. Hope this helps :)

on 2/25/2012 3:58:00 PM

I have been using the colour Red Passion for a year now and I love it! Its a lovely shade of red, not too bright but still noticeable. Lasts for a long time. I have tried other brands in the past and have not been as satisfied as when I've used this. Would recommend.

on 1/9/2012 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

I have natural ash blonde hair that was turning mousier as I was getting older. Not having any of it, I dyed my hair chocolate brown. Since then I've been through a rainbow of colours from black, to ginger, to plum, but this is the only hair dye which has actually suited me, and receives soooo many compliments :) I used the Passion Red colour, and have been using it for the last six months, and I can vouche for it 100%. The ammonia smell is quite strong, but seeing as I wear contact lenses, it didn't affect me much. Just be sure to open a window.
The gloves they give you are probably fashioned for mutants, because they are so large, so pick up some fitted latex gloves instead. The colour is slightly drippy, but as soon as it's on your head I've had no problem with it running down my neck/face. The conditioner they give you is INSANELY good, leaving your hair smelling lovely, shiny as hell, smooth and silky. The colour isn't as bright as on the box, but is richer and gorgeous. And I find myself only needing to re-dye it to cover my roots, because the colour hardly fades at all! Get so many compliments because of my fair skin/blue eyes/red hair combination. I've repurchased before, and I'm going to carry on doing so. Thanks, schwarzkopf! :D

Popular Hair Color Products