November 24, 2014 | 1013 users online

Cleansers - Paula's Choice - One Step Face Cleanser-Normal to Dry Skin

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

I just bought this again after not using for awhile. It doesn't dry my skin and I didn't experience any breakouts so big pluses there but what I realized is that it didn't remove my makeup.

I cleansed with an oil cleanser. Then I used the One Step Cleanser Normal Dry on my Clarisonic finishing with another round of the One Step. My face should have been pristine as this is my usual method sometimes minus the second wash after my clarisonic. I did not have on anything but tinted moisturizer and concealer so I was not trying to get off long wearing foundation either.

Well the next morning I used a washcloth with the One Step Normal Dry and I found the washcloth full of makeup still on my face!

Bottom line I guess you have to use a washcloth with this cleanser to fully remove your makeup. And for me that's a deal breaker. I already use a precleanse with a washcloth so prefer not to have to use a washcloth with my cleanser all of the time, and if I remember correctly this used to be her spiel--that a cleanser SHOULD rinse clean.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used 3 samples of this cleanser, so I cannot judge this by it's performance for a longer period, but what I can say is that it is very very drying. I have oily sensitive skin and this cleanser made my seb. derm much worse in only a few days. Normally I like the Paula's Choice cleansers, but this is absolutely not suitable for normal to dry skin as she claims. I also tried the Clear cleanser, which was much more gentle!
I think the problem is the SLES very high on the ingredient list and the Cocomidapropyl Betaine which is a mild cleansing agent, but is an irritant for some people.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2011 5:46:00 AM More reviews by Jamima

Fabulous cleanser. My skin is combination and it gets the makeup off, doesn't feel greasy and doesn't dry out my skin. As I have oily skin in the T-zone and large pores I need to use a grainy scrub a couple of times a week and Paula's Choice 2%BHA which keeps that area smooth and unblocked. For years I've been using Clarins cleansers because I love the foam up feel however believe that for the results and price, this product is a keeper. Note: I do use a makeup remover to remove eye makeup.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Kirstie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using Cetaphil for years, but I wanted to try this Paula's Choice product when I heard that it can also be used to remove eye makeup, and that it is more effective at removing makeup from the skin than Cetaphil. I love it! I had been experiencing some dryness, even from the gently, non-foaming Cetaphil, due to the fact that I use Retin-A to keep my acne at bay. No more flaky spots around my mouth after switching to this cleanser. You only need to use a small amount (less than with Cetpahil, as this is a more dense, richer product, so you get more "coverage"), so it seems like it will be very cost effective. It also is truly effective at removing makeup, from foundation to waterproof mascara, and feels really gentle. As long as this keeps working for me, I won't be going back to Cetpahil.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by alohahawaii

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My new HG! I was using the Skin Balancing Cleanser, however, I found it to be a little drying. I saw a review on youtube about this One Step Cleanser for Normal to Dry skin and I took the risk. I even bought the huge 16 oz. bottle. I use this with my Clarisonic and it is perfect! It has a slight lather and it rinses cleanly, plus it doesn't dry out my face. For a product that does not have any scent, I feel pampered when I use this cleanser. I think the 16 oz. bottle will last me quite a while. I will be purchasing again. Yes, there are cheaper cleansers out there and some work wonderfully, but I chose to pamper myself and my complexion couldn't thank me more. I get compliments on my skin everyday and I used to have really bad skin. Thank you Paula!

EDIT: I would love this to be my HG, but unfortunately I have returned to my Purpose/ Clean and Clear Foaming Face Wash Sensitive Skin. It is all about budget. I would rather afford PC's other items that actually stay on my face.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2010 10:20:00 AM More reviews by amberw22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

PC Cleansers are my HG! They don't strip your skin and leave it dry yet they leave it super clean and take all your make up off. I barely need eye makeup remover anymore.

I've tried three of hers and I actually like the one for Normal to Very Dry better (Skin Recovery Cleanser). The reason is just for consistency. This Skin Recovery Cleanser has a milky texture like Purity by Philosophy. This one has a silky lotion texture which I don't love as much. Don't get me wrong, I still love this stuff, but just prefer milky.

In the summer I switch to the Hydrolight Cleanser b/c my skin gets less dry.

My hubby's razor burn cleared up and he admitted to me that he started using my cleanser. He traded his harsh stuff for this delicate formula. Paula really knows her stuff.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2010 6:09:00 PM More reviews by agibeault

This stuff is good, but a smidge more than I would pay for a cleanser, when you factor in the shipping and duty. I think it cleaned sufficiently but didn't knock my socks off. It also left my face feeling tight after.......which isnt a huge deal because I load up the moisturizer, but should be noted. I *would* but this again, but probably won't ..unless they have a sale.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2010 2:41:00 AM More reviews by chakalakakhan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best cleanser ever. After trying some samples of this product, I really wanted to purchase the full bottle, but I still have to use up my Cerave cleanser.

This actually feels like the Cerave cleanser but has better skin nourishing ingredients and takes off all my makeup!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2010 10:46:00 AM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser because it is very kind and gentle to my combination, sensitive skin. When I first started using Paula's Choice products almost 10 years ago, I used her One Step Cleanser For Normal To Oily/Combination Skin. Since my skin has been changing during my 40's, I no longer can use that since it's too drying now and have switched to this and the Skin Recovery Cleanser, both of which have soothed and cleansed my skin effectively. I prefer to use Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes to remove makeup first and then follow with a gentle wash of either of these 2 cleansers. The result is cleansed, soft skin with no redness or irritation. Highly recommend!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2010 4:01:00 PM More reviews by mapn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I tried a sample and thank goodness it was only a sample. Horrible stuff. Made my skin red and aggravated instantly. Let's just face the facts, my skin can't tolerate Sodium Laureth Sulfate in high concentrations at all. All in all, I just donít seem to have much luck with most PC products... still experimenting with samples though.