September 30, 2014 | 1819 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Sec 'N Dry Multi-Layer Quick-Dry Topcoat

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Gives a beautiful crystal shine and will (slightly) speed up will dry a couple of THIN layers of polish that don't need help anyway. But the major problem with this it does NOT dry thick layers of polish as the name suggests. It dries the surface only but the bottom layers stay soft so the polish gets dents hours later. Other brands I use can cope with multiple layers (Seche Vite, Out the Door, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat) so this fails the basic promise. Sec'N Dry has more problems as well:

1. Slow drying compared to Seche Vite, Out the Door, and Sally Hansen. Takes around 4 minutes (4 times as long) to dry which isn't quick dry in my opinion. Might as well choose a better quality long-lasting top coat if you're going to wait 4 minutes (long-lasting top coats take 5 - 15 minutes to dry).

2. Chips easily, no better wear than wearing each polish without top coat

3. Leaves tiny bubbles ruining my layers of hard work spent painting of the perfect base and 2 coats of color at the last minute.

4. The formula is so thin and watery that it can't smooth ridged nails or glitters. Glitters still feel rough even with 2 - 3 coats (the other brands I mentioned above create a smooth and glassy feel over glitters in typically a single coat)

5. The thin watery formula rushes down the brush and pools at the lowest point, ie the edges or ridges.

6. The brush is so skinny it does not fan out like my other brushes so it won't spread evenly and patches are missed

7. The hard thin skinny brush drags into the polish and removes patches of color (balding).

I would not use this even if it was given away absolutely free!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by vanillatwilight357

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This top coat is on the thinner side which may be a plus to some but I do not enjoy it since it doesn't seem to smooth everything out. The top coat will probably thicken up a bit with more time though so I am not too concerned about it. However I also feel like this top coat doesn't give me the same shine that others do and the dry time is faster than a normal top coat yet it doesn't dry nearly as quick as I would like a fast dry top coat to be. It can take over two hours for it to be completely hard and up to around seven minutes to even be dry to the touch. On a positive note, this top coat does not shrink my polish, bubble, or crack, and it seems to keep my polish on for up to a week (with base coat-Orly Bonder). Overall though, I would not recommend this to others because it doesn't dry very quickly and that is the purpose of the top coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Scadoodles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HG right here!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2014 8:49:00 PM More reviews by rdeerr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm surprised by all the rave reviews for this product. I really wanted to like it since I'm not a huge fan of Seche Vite and I wanted something that would dry faster, but this topcoat has been really disappointing. It does dry fairly quickly but it chips my manicure within 24 hours. I'll be using SV from now on until I find something better.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by saranov

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I feel like Orly is highly underrated. I used to use Seche Vite as my go-to quick dry topcoat, but was really turned off at the fact that it has toluene in it. The smell of Seche was almost too strong for me to handle most of the time. So, I was on a quest to find a quick-dry topcoat that was Big 3-free, and lo and behold, I found Orly Sec 'n Dry! What a bargain!

You have to wait until your nails are nearly dry before putting this on, unlike Seche (which may be a con for some people). One of the best things about Sec 'n Dry is that it has a really thin and highly workable consistency. It doesn't get thick and goopy at all. It melts away most imperfections and has a really glossy finish. I also have found that it actually makes my polish last a lot longer than Seche as well. No complaints at all! I'm so glad I discovered it. Try it out!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I tend to do my nails at night and hate the fact that they take so long to dry. I bought this on a whim and have been very pleased. It does dry them very quickly and deeply. After an hour they are hard. I never experienced this with any other top coats.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by TayGraham

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Luckily for me I got this at a swamp meet for $3 so I don't know the real cost. However, I'm so glad I got two ! Dries so quickly and hardly chips.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2013 2:16:00 AM More reviews by meowmeow214

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this after getting tired of my poshe top coat going thick and gloopy all the time. This orly sec n dry does what it says. It dries fast enough. May not be as fast as poshe or seche vite, but I don't mind waiting a few minutes longer. I give it about 20mins before it sets hard. I also like that when I use this I don't get the shrinkage I get from using poshe. The thinness of the formula actually helps even out the imperfections with the nail polish application.
However, I think for glitter or foil polishes, I will still stick to poshe. This product is not thick enough for the "top coat eaters" nail polish since the formula is really thin and runny. It's also prone to scratches within a day or two compared to zoya armor topcoat which can go on for days with very minimal scratches or chipping. To solve this problem, I use my zoya armor topcoat over painted nails first, and then use this for the quick drying. That way, i get the the zoya armor durability and the quick dry of orly sec n dry.
As for the shine, it is shiny enough. May not be as shiny as poshe or seche vite, but close enough.
Otherwise it is still an acceptable product, I think it works best with cream finish nail polishes. If you change your nail polish after 2-3 days of wear, then you shouldn't mind the tiny scratches you get after some time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Ljadeke

I don't like thick coats of nail polish so this works great for me. I never wait for my nails to dry hard before moving on to something else, and this stuff works like a charm. I use the rubberized base coat, 2 layers of color and than this on top, before the color is all the way dry. Never get hair or a dent in my nails, and my manicure lasts at least a week.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2013 9:43:00 PM More reviews by alanav09

oyy.. the only was this is better than seche vite is the longevity of the manicure. but it leaves my nails dull and NOT HARDENED. its been an hour and i can still make dents......neverrr the case with seche. im applying a second coat because i really dont want to have to redo my nails.

it works fine with sheer, thin coats and polishes....just not for anything that you take your time to do.....i.e anything opaque