LUSH Celestial

3.8

Vanilla Water (Vanilla planifolia), Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Almond Milk (Prunus dulcis), Glycerine, Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Dove Orchid Extract (Dendrobium), Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben,.

Wow! I'm pleasantly surprised by this moisturizer. I've been skeptical of Lush skincare products for years, because I have very sensitive skin and products with plant extracts and essential oils often produce some sort of irritation. I popped into the Queen Street location the other day in my quest to be open-minded (I was looking for a new moisturizer) and the whole experience was fantastic. The service was great! The sales associate was very patient and took time to explain the difference between the various products as well as give me a demo of a few of them. She offered to give me some samples instead of me having to purchase the product in case of any skin reactions. I've now used the Celestial twice and I already see a difference in my skin! It's difficult to explain in words, but I will try...

The texture of this moisturizer is creamy, but not greasy. It doesn't claim to do anything other than moisturize so I wasn't expecting some anti-aging miracle. It absorbs quickly and leave like this velvety feel to my skin. It's just beautiful! And the scent is heavenly--like a marshmallow/vanilla mix. No breakouts, not irritations, just soft, supple, bright, hydrated skin. My makeup is even applying on better.

Just got back from purchasing the full size for $24, which may seem a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. And I love that there are no chemicals in this stuff. More importantly, it's not tested on animals, and I'm an animal lover, so that's a huge bonus!

If you've never tried this line before, and you're looking for something natural, preservative-free and fantastic, check out the store and ask for help, the staff are great! Yay for my new go-to day/night moisturizer!

on 2/7/2015 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I was loyal to this moisturizer for a long time, but recently broke up with it. It has a lot of oil in it which is both a pro and a con: it's great for keeping skin moisturized, but not helpful on acne-prone skin. I decided to try a non-comedogenic brand, and I'm glad I did, but Celestial is definitely not without its merits!

Pros
-By far the most moisturizing product that I've ever used. I used it primarily as a night cream, and I was set for the entire next day.
-Never made me look "oily".
-It smells amazing!
-Because it comes in a tub, you can use it down to the last drop.
-Natural ingredients that never irritated my skin.
-Works well as hand/body cream in a pinch--it's great for traveling.
-LUSH is socially conscious, dedicated to protecting the environment, and vegetarian (and often vegan!). They also only use recyclable/compostable/previously used materials for packaging, and they never tests their products on animals.

Cons
-It was extremely difficult to clear acne while using this product, as the oil contributes to congestion. My skin cleared up very quickly after discontinuing use, and for me that's reason enough to move on from my love affair with this product.
-It tends to get stuck around the sides of the lids--it's not a huge deal because you can just scoop it out, but it's a bit irritating.

Here's my advice: if you have dry skin and little to no acne, I would definitely give it a shot! If you're like me, though, and you're struggling to keep your skin clear, I would pass.

on 2/3/2015 5:51:00 PM

Celestial offers a balanced moisture level and lovely light vanilla scent

on 1/28/2015 4:50:00 AM

This is a beautiful moisturiser! It is completely vegan and contains natural ingredients. It smells like a vanilla cheesecake which makes it a pleasure to use. It is fairly thick but absorbs very easily - you do not need a lot of it at all. I have combination skin which is fairly sensitive and this moisturiser has not exacerbated oiliness nor caused breakouts. This moisturiser leaves my skin feeling cool and soft. I would highly recommend this moisturiser for those with sensitive skin. This is a very nourishing moisturiser and is a must-have for me.

on 1/16/2015 11:54:00 AM

I really wanted to like this one. I used it as a night moisturizer, and after the first couple of nights, I awoke with glowy, really soft skin. I actually really liked the smell and feel of this, even though it is a bit greasy.

The problems began after about a week of use. I started developing much more acne then I've ever had before. I hadn't change anything else in my routine, so I decided to take a break from it. About a month later, I gave it another try, hoping the breakout were simply a coincidence. Unfortunately, they weren't.

This might be a great choice for people with very dry skin who aren't prone to acne, but for me, it just didn't work. Also, the price is just not reasonable for what you get.

on 1/15/2015 10:17:00 PM

For the past year I've been using raw honey as my cleanser and moisturizer but I decided to try the Celestial moisturizer. LUSH markets itself as providing "natural" and "organic" ingredients, which is what drew me into the store. Upon using the moisturizer, my face felt so moisturized and was just glowing! I was so impressed. But it turned out to be too good to be true. I was so disappointed to find methylparaben, propylparaben (sp?) and triethanolamine in their "natural" ingredients. All of which are toxins. "According to OrganicConsumers.org, Triethanolamine can cause allergic reactions including eye problems, dryness of hair and skin, and could be toxic if absorbed into the body over a long period of time." This wouldn't have irked me so much if LUSH didn't promote their product as being natural and organic, it's deceiving.

PROS: Left face looking and feeling fresh, moisturized and glowing.
CONS: Parabens and toxins

Overall- The latest beauty trend now is all about organic and all natural ingredients. LUSH uses this trend and markets their products as being natural and organic, however this is just a facade. Despite my skin looking great upon using, I treat my skin like gold and will only use good and all natural ingredients. That said, I will not by this or any moisturizer from LUSH again.

on 1/15/2015 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is the most balancing moisturizer I've ever used. I was acne prone, combination, and sensitive. First month or two I started with a tiny fingerprint dab to get used to it, but now my face drinks up the moisture. Its as though my skin "trusts" me now, when before it would freak out with ANY moisturizer. I really think its the depency of nasty chemicals of mainstream products that caused my skin to mistrust anything good and natural. Celestial is the most basic recipe so its worth trying this for a month. Just the smallest amount!! Now that my skin is balanced, I can tollerate more masks and treatments.

on 12/6/2014 10:05:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Let me start with the positives. Yes, this does moisturize and leaves your skin feeling soft. It does have an oily sheen, but that didn't bother me, as I only used it at night. It looks like a small bar of soap. The heat of your hands "melts" the serum, which you apply to your skin. I just kept mine in a small Tupperware container.

But holy smoke.... do not get this stuff in your eye. It burns like the devil. I had to leave a wide circle around my eyes, and wash my hands so I didn't accidentally rub my eye with it. That's a deal breaker for me. I want to use a moisturizing serum under my eyes, and on the back of my hands.

Sorry Lush... I wanted to love you.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Early in the testing phase, but I may have found my HG moisturiser! It's fab as a primer too, my foundation has never went on so smoothly before - worth it for that reason alone, although it's far from the only reason I'm enjoying it so. Lovely scent, not too heavy and a tiny bit goes a long way. Only downside is packaging, and I see I'm not the only one to complain about that. Lush, give Celestial the pump bottle it deserves!

on 11/11/2014 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Good lord.. I REALLY love Lush products but this just broke me out SO badly everywhere. I never get cystic acne but this is giving me cystic acne... The associate said this would go great under makeup but just NO... I looked like a grease ball all day...
Just a big No for me.. However, I do love the gorgeous moisturizer so still loving Lush.