October 23, 2014 | 1666 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock Leave-on Perfecting Glosser

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like how John Frieda separates hair products for the 3 main hair colors, i.e. Brunette, Blonde, and Red. It's nice to feel apart of some hair color club when you buy the product specific to your color.

Thus, of course, in my brunette days, I bought this glosser thinking I needed to have it because I was a brunette and I needed more gloss!
I applied it as directed, on wet hair and on dry and it didn't do anything. It smells nice like the rest of the brunette line, but other than that, it's meh.

Things that are bothersome:

1. The line implies it is a product only for brunettes. I have used this on my red and blonde hair, equally disappointing lol
2. Directions say to apply to 'soaking wet hair, concentrating on ends....Do not rinse out.' Um, instructions like this always confuse me because I don't just get out of the shower with drenched hair and go about my day. I towel wrap it, then air dry it, then straighten it. SO, if it's soaking wet, but not to be rinsed, then it will undoubtedly be blotted off with the towel or strained out the ends before the towel with the rest of the water....am I dumb or?
3. it's a hard to determine the appropriate amount, too much? too little? why bother?
4. claims to seal split ends and smooth fly aways...well my fly aways are around my face area and this product applied there gives the illusion of a greasy scalp. as for sealing split ends, I have long given that hope up.

all in all
not worth it, buy a lip gloss or new nail polish instead.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by awesomeness2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh, I was really hoping that this would work for me. It feels nice on the hands, but really doesn't do much for my hair. I have several Frieda products but this is not one of the ones that I will keep.

Also worthy to note - This product is loaded with silicones. It feels like it, it looks like it, and it says so on the ingredients list. Definitely one to avoid if you're trying to steer clear of silicone.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by missress

it makes my hair softer but i didnt buy this product for that. i wanted it to give shine on my hair but it doenst work. i wont buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by lalaglitzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the smell of the Brilliant Brunette line (vanilla is the only way I know to describe it) and the glosser leaves the smell in my hair longer than the shampoo/conditioner. However, I don't notice this product doing anything for me in terms of shine or conditioning. I would buy it again for the smell alone (weird I know) but its not effective for shine or gloss

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 6:21:00 AM More reviews by desertrose156

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this since 2004 back when it was called Spotlight gel. After it was discontinued, I was heartbroken, but then I heard they changed the name to this and reworked it into the brunette line. I have baby fine, long blonde hair and this is the ONLY product I have found that won't weigh it down, and adds shine while detangling and making it manageable. I put this on my ends when my hair is wet and it instantly detangles it. This is the NUMBER 1 hair product I never want to be without.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 7:23:00 PM More reviews by Pixiechix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff, it works so well on my very thick, curly hair! With hair like mine it can get really frizzy and sometimes quite big after blow drying it.I put a small amount into the palm of my hand and then warm it up a little on both hands and turn my head down and scrunch it into my hair. That way I get the ends and avoid any oily root issue. It makes my curls look really lovely and defend and my hair shiny and glossy. I don't find it sticky in my hair, it doesn't make it look greasy or weigh it down and it is easy to wash out! What more could I ask for. I do use it in conjunction with the frizz ease spray serum which I just spritz over my hair to finish it off. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by miamsg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used 5 tubes already, absolutely love the product. I have long, fine, dry hair (blonde) and this is the only product that does not weight them down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2011 12:31:00 AM More reviews by italiana800

I've used this product about 2 times so far, and I'am kind of torn on whether I like it or not. What I like about it is that it feels like it would be heavy and weigh your hair down, but after it dries and you straighten or style your hair, it is touchably soft and doesn't make your hair stiff. That is a big plus because most glossers weigh hair down and create oilyness. This one did not. There is some shine, but to be honest, I didn't notice any more shine in my hair than there usually is. So, for the "shine shock" effect this product claims to have...I don't think it delivers up to its name. This glossing gel makes your hair pretty flat, which I personally don't mind since I have thick hair that I straighten. But, if your not looking for a neccesarily "flat" look, I wouldn't use too much of this, especially not near the upper half of your hair. Another thing that bothered me about this product, is that it costs about $5-$6, & you get a small tube of product. It goes fast, so it can get kind of expensive. I mean, I liked this glosser, it works nicely. But, it did not give me that "wow" factor, as if my hair wouldn't look as great without this. That is why I don't think I will repurchase this when I run out. It works alright, but for the price, amount of product you get, & the fact that my hair pretty much looks the same with or without this...I don't think it's that amazing as people are claiming. So overall, I can survive without this:)

**UPDATE:** I've found an even better use for this gel. Whenever I curl or wave my hair, This gel takes away all the fly aways & helps keep my hair in place instantly. It's amazing. Although this didn't work for me as a glosser when I straighten my hair, I will repurchase to use it when I curl & wave my hair. It's soooo amazing for that purpose. I'm now absoloutley impressed by this:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by Remykat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

This is one of my favorite glossing creams. It works nearly as well as the Fekkai, but at a fraction of the cost. Smells fine, needs only a bit to work, and doesn't leave day-after-greasies. I usually add it on after flat-ironing, but sometimes I put it on the ends before and let the heat melt it in. Also nice on curly/wavy hair (doesn't disrupt the pattern by adding weight). Buy again, and again, and again. I don't know why I bother with anything else :)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2011 6:07:00 AM More reviews by rock89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

ive only used it once but i decided to write a review. This product is a clear gel that contain little glitters (glitters arnt visible when in hair). I used it as the instructions said, dime size in to soaking wet hair, then i slightly towel dried it and then blow dried my hair. results? verrry smooth hair, i think ive never felt my hair this soft BUT there was still some frizz, and shine wise... i didnt see that much shine, but then again i dunno if anything could make my hair shine. Overall, its a good product, im happy with it.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No