December 18, 2014 | 1640 users online

Styling Products - John Frieda - Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock Leave-on Perfecting Glosser

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2014 5:38:00 PM More reviews by MakeUpIsFabulous

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this for my thick brown hair! No matter what I use it never seems to shine unless I put a small drop of this magical glosser!
I love it so much and people always compliment on how nice and glossy my hair looks (also helps control frizz. :) It is kind of difficult to find as not all grocery stores so I found it in Ulta.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I have been purchasing this for years and it always makes my hair glossy and beautiful. It's fairly lightweight and smells nice. When this was first released it was one of a few on the market but now there are tons. I still love it and will always go back to it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2014 9:06:00 PM More reviews by candyintheeyes

I am impressed by its name, Shin Shock Prefecting Glosser, it sounds glamorous and promising. I have Asian black hair (dyed for many times and with a hint of dark brown colour under the sun) which is frizzy all the time. I think it does not matter if it is only meant for brunette hair and since it works like a frizz tamer and hair gloss, it should be able to reflect shininess of my hair and reduce frizz to some extend. This is my first John Frieda product although I have read many good reviews on this brand for their frizz ease serums. I decided to choose this amongst my another two choices, ie. nourishing elixir oil (in yellowish colour) and original 6 effects serum (in red tube).

To my surprise, it is in gel texture and full of shiny little glitters. It works best if you follow its instruction to apply sparingly according to your hair length on soaking wet hair. I towel dry my hair and as my usual-weirdo habit, I will apply a thin layer of Body Shop Beautifying Oil as a base. My hair is very dry and straw like and applying just this glosser or any other serum will not help to tame the frizziness and my hair will still quench for more oils. I will then use this glosser as the final product on my hair and blow dry. My hair becomes very soft and it eliminates most of the frizz which I have nothing to complain anymore. This product smells nice which I would say it is like sweet vanilla coconut scent which I am absolutely ok with.

The only shortfall of this glosser is the glitters. Even though it works as a reflector for hair under the sun and lights, I prefer it to be something which can be absorbed by hair to repair and seal the hair cuticles and not just sit on the hair and easily washed off. Afterall, I am happy with this product and will repurchase unless I find another high end product which works better than this!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2014 9:35:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like how John Frieda separates hair products for the 3 main hair colors, i.e. Brunette, Blonde, and Red. It's nice to feel apart of some hair color club when you buy the product specific to your color.

Thus, of course, in my brunette days, I bought this glosser thinking I needed to have it because I was a brunette and I needed more gloss!
I applied it as directed, on wet hair and on dry and it didn't do anything. It smells nice like the rest of the brunette line, but other than that, it's meh.

Things that are bothersome:

1. The line implies it is a product only for brunettes. I have used this on my red and blonde hair, equally disappointing lol
2. Directions say to apply to 'soaking wet hair, concentrating on ends....Do not rinse out.' Um, instructions like this always confuse me because I don't just get out of the shower with drenched hair and go about my day. I towel wrap it, then air dry it, then straighten it. SO, if it's soaking wet, but not to be rinsed, then it will undoubtedly be blotted off with the towel or strained out the ends before the towel with the rest of the water....am I dumb or?
3. it's a hard to determine the appropriate amount, too much? too little? why bother?
4. claims to seal split ends and smooth fly aways...well my fly aways are around my face area and this product applied there gives the illusion of a greasy scalp. as for sealing split ends, I have long given that hope up.

all in all
not worth it, buy a lip gloss or new nail polish instead.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by awesomeness2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh, I was really hoping that this would work for me. It feels nice on the hands, but really doesn't do much for my hair. I have several Frieda products but this is not one of the ones that I will keep.

Also worthy to note - This product is loaded with silicones. It feels like it, it looks like it, and it says so on the ingredients list. Definitely one to avoid if you're trying to steer clear of silicone.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by missress

it makes my hair softer but i didnt buy this product for that. i wanted it to give shine on my hair but it doenst work. i wont buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2013 8:58:00 AM More reviews by lalaglitzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the smell of the Brilliant Brunette line (vanilla is the only way I know to describe it) and the glosser leaves the smell in my hair longer than the shampoo/conditioner. However, I don't notice this product doing anything for me in terms of shine or conditioning. I would buy it again for the smell alone (weird I know) but its not effective for shine or gloss

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 6:21:00 AM More reviews by desertrose156

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this since 2004 back when it was called Spotlight gel. After it was discontinued, I was heartbroken, but then I heard they changed the name to this and reworked it into the brunette line. I have baby fine, long blonde hair and this is the ONLY product I have found that won't weigh it down, and adds shine while detangling and making it manageable. I put this on my ends when my hair is wet and it instantly detangles it. This is the NUMBER 1 hair product I never want to be without.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 7:23:00 PM More reviews by Pixiechix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff, it works so well on my very thick, curly hair! With hair like mine it can get really frizzy and sometimes quite big after blow drying it.I put a small amount into the palm of my hand and then warm it up a little on both hands and turn my head down and scrunch it into my hair. That way I get the ends and avoid any oily root issue. It makes my curls look really lovely and defend and my hair shiny and glossy. I don't find it sticky in my hair, it doesn't make it look greasy or weigh it down and it is easy to wash out! What more could I ask for. I do use it in conjunction with the frizz ease spray serum which I just spritz over my hair to finish it off. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by miamsg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used 5 tubes already, absolutely love the product. I have long, fine, dry hair (blonde) and this is the only product that does not weight them down.