4711 - Echt Kolnisch Wasser (Original Eau de Cologne)

4.1

4711 is an awesome scent for using as a layering agent by applying one or more other fragrances starting with the strongest, then applying the 4711 last because its lighter than most.
I find that in some instances it takes the edge off a sharp fragrance like Estee or just tones others a bit.
4711 is a fresh light citrus blend. If used as a stand alone fragrance, on me it starts off with a bang of citrus, then very rapidly become a feint but fresh Bergamot lemony citrus clean smelling skin scent which can last for an hour or two, it stays very close to the skin but by applying it to the hair and clothing it lasts longer. feint, but definitely there. To know its strength ive put a little on my finger and tasted it.
Other uses to enjoy with 4711 is to publicly sanitize hands with it. Clean under the armpits prior to using deodorant or if you need to freshen there. Clean toilet seats, its high alcohol content cleans and this leaves behind a lovely scent.
I give this 5 for been so versatile and useful for layering with other fragrances. For its proud bottle and fresh timeless scent but 1 for its weak perfume, this is not a perfume.
Before you rule this out, keep in mind that 4711 is an amazing afordable piece of fragrance history, its great Historical value as one of the oldest scents made without changing the formula for over 200 years

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Gave me a nasty allergic reaction in the places I used it.

Agree with itgrrl below. I prefer 4711 to many other more expensive citrus including citrus florals such as Neroli Portifino (skin chemistry clash and ensuing sense of nausea possibly due to the floral) or creed zeste mandarin pamplemousse. ( in my review of the creed, I do mention other citruses in comparison). 4711 notes as per basenotes include: Orange,basil, bergamot, lemon; cyclamen, Jasmine, Lily, melon, rose; patchouli, vetiver, oakmoss, cedar, musk, sandalwood. IMO this is a warm citrus like Eau de Patou, but I like this better). Lies close to the skin and is not straight lemon, but citrus modified by light herbs.

No cumin as in FM Bigarade Concentree. Not as juicy as a l'Atelier cologne, like Orange a Sanguine or Cedrat Enirvant both of which are also sweeter. In comparison to the candied carbonated loud lemon opening of Eau de Guerlain on my skin chemistry, I probably would prefer this, though I do like the dry down if Eau de Guerlain.

I am not sure how this can be described as an old lady scent except perhaps for those who favor very modern mainstream sweet fruit (eg the very sweet Pacifica lemon, which I also happen to like), but this IS from 1793, and older people of course are among its many customers. Perhaps it's because some people find the opening somewhat unsubtle or bracing? All I can suggest is wait a few moments for the dry down which is evocative of niche cologne in this category. The herbal aspect tones down within a few minutes and becomes very subtle.

I like the recommendation of refrigerate and spritz, though I prefer to dab sparingly and dislike sillage. Extremely reasonably priced and widely available.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I searched high and low to buy this after reading on MUA that it was a close dupe for Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Having owned and worn it for a while, I much prefer 4711. The sillage and wear time for both fragrances are about the same on me, though 4711 has slightly less sweetness and therefore offers a more 'bracing' scent. I love how it smells on me, and find it uplifting and versatile. It's casual yet sophisticated...and judging by its 3 centuries of history, it remains modern and timeless all at once.

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I first experienced 4711 before Kindergarten - a German neighbor family had lots of 4711 goodies and I loved it. I've worn it off and on ever since, and I really miss it when I run out. Citrusy, refreshing, uplifting, happy-making, and it keeps me sane during Detroit Summers. I even carry it in my purse in a little spray bottle for hot flashes. The massive 27oz/798ml bottles are wonderful and last forever.

My BF gave me my current massive bottle - he chose it because he loves wearing it, too! :)

Refreshing, timeless cologne.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

By chance I had a spray of this when was in a shop and decided to buy it. It immediately brought back childhood memories. It has a very clean fresh citrus smell - definitely a unisex fragrance. Only downside is the fragrance doesn't last very long

It seems I can't find anything new to add about this AMAZING piece of history , Reviewers here talked about it being their childhood memories , yes I think most people have something to remember about this fragrance , It has been around for 300 years , so it must have been around for a good reason ..Even better , it 's the first and foremost Unisex perfume would ever come across ..Honestly other newer designer versions are just "Imitating " or "Duping " this ..Lovely interesting package , wonderful story and a catchy smell :D

A very light citrus smell like lemons. Sometimes a dead ringer for Jean Nate Body Splash. I wish it stayed on longer. Refreshing and for the price go ahead I have also found another use for this I pour it into another perfume bottle to get out the last few drops of my favorite perfume out of the bottom of the bottle. It is not too over powering and you can smell your original perfume through this one :). It buys me about 1 more week of my favorite perfume when I would have to just throw the bottle away .

Though none of my family members used this while I was younger, I started using this 5 years ago. And since then I've never been out of a bottle. I use a lot of this especially on hot days. It reminds me of baby cologne - fresh, crisp and light. The best part is, it always seems to perk up my day!

Popular Fragrances