April 16, 2014 | 1992 users online

Fragrances - 4711 - Echt Kolnisch Wasser (Original Eau de Cologne)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by itgrrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I searched high and low to buy this after reading on MUA that it was a close dupe for Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Having owned and worn it for a while, I much prefer 4711. The sillage and wear time for both fragrances are about the same on me, though 4711 has slightly less sweetness and therefore offers a more 'bracing' scent. I love how it smells on me, and find it uplifting and versatile. It's casual yet sophisticated...and judging by its 3 centuries of history, it remains modern and timeless all at once.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by Xtine66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I first experienced 4711 before Kindergarten - a German neighbor family had lots of 4711 goodies and I loved it. I've worn it off and on ever since, and I really miss it when I run out. Citrusy, refreshing, uplifting, happy-making, and it keeps me sane during Detroit Summers. The massive 27oz/798ml bottles are wonderful and last forever.

My BF gave me my current massive bottle - he chose it because he loves wearing it, too! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2013 1:09:00 PM More reviews by windypoint

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Refreshing, timeless cologne.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 1:54:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

By chance I had a spray of this when was in a shop and decided to buy it. It immediately brought back childhood memories. It has a very clean fresh citrus smell - definitely a unisex fragrance. Only downside is the fragrance doesn't last very long

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 7:58:00 AM More reviews by Meshmmesha772000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It seems I can't find anything new to add about this AMAZING piece of history , Reviewers here talked about it being their childhood memories , yes I think most people have something to remember about this fragrance , It has been around for 300 years , so it must have been around for a good reason ..Even better , it 's the first and foremost Unisex perfume would ever come across ..Honestly other newer designer versions are just "Imitating " or "Duping " this ..Lovely interesting package , wonderful story and a catchy smell :D

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by mmarrs

A very light citrus smell like lemons. Sometimes a dead ringer for Jean Nate Body Splash. I wish it stayed on longer. Refreshing and for the price go ahead I have also found another use for this I pour it into another perfume bottle to get out the last few drops of my favorite perfume out of the bottom of the bottle. It is not too over powering and you can smell your original perfume through this one :). It buys me about 1 more week of my favorite perfume when I would have to just throw the bottle away .

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2012 6:14:00 AM More reviews by demeter18

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Though none of my family members used this while I was younger, I started using this 5 years ago. And since then I've never been out of a bottle. I use a lot of this especially on hot days. It reminds me of baby cologne - fresh, crisp and light. The best part is, it always seems to perk up my day!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/29/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Agree with previous reviewer that this smells of Coppertone. Not as sharp tho. Nice on my hands when I want to switch up from my usual vanillas. I do not tend to wear this out, because itis not "me" but I wear it at home when I want to clear my head, sort of as aromatherapy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 9:20:00 PM More reviews by jimsland

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I finally came across this in a random perfume store. I was so excited. Hot day, splashed some on and went about my business. Half an hour later I was running back to the store to buy a bottle. It's like my skin but better. Light, no sillage. It was familiar to me, but I couldn't place it. My husband smelled it and said "beach". Yeah, on me, kind of. Coppertone and a light breeze. I'm going to try the rest of the line. I think I may end up wearing this at least half the week this summer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2010 12:40:00 PM More reviews by TheReviewLady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Echoing what some other reviewer said: I'm not going to say anything new about this either. I'm not going to tell you about the very long history *of* 4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser, but I am going to tell you about *my* history with 4711 Echt Kolnisch Wasser. This is a scent that triggers memories for me. I'm pretty sure that at some point my father wore it when he went off to work in the mornings and the scent would linger on his jacket after he came home from work and gave us bear hugs. I'm pretty sure that in his old age, he had a bottle of 4711 somewhere on his bathroom vanity, among other bottles more expensive the 4711 bottle, which still contained a few drops of fragrant water, was collecting dust and the paper sticker was yellowing and peeling. So this smells of my father when he was young. Or maybe this smells of airplanes... because I remember when the economy was much more vibrant and Malaysian Airlines would hand out fragrant, warm towels prior to departure and landing -- I really looked forward to that part of the flight almost as much as the colour pencils and plastic toy airplanes they also used to give to children. 4711 also smells like the 1990s because while everyone around me was wearing CK One, I was wearing 4711 and No.5. Hey, I'm old school. I guess 4711 smells like different things to different people. If you like it, you probably remember it from somewhere. If you don't have any memories of it, well... you can make some!

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No