April 18, 2014 | 1485 users online

Mascara - Clinique - Lash Building Primer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2013 4:46:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

This was the first lash primer I ever tried, about 2 years ago, and I loved it so much that I immediately became obsessed with lash primers in general. I know that sounds a little crazy but this one product changed my attitude toward mascara altogether. No more smudgy panda eyes! No more limiting myself to tubing mascaras (there are only so many of them). And WOWZA this stuff made my lashes look AMAZING. That's what's so great about lash primer- it makes any and all mascara (dollar store, department store, whatever) look better and last longer.
After I used up my tube of Clinique I tried primers from Dior, Lancome, Tarte, Origins, Shiseido, Hard Candy, Estee Lauder, there may have been others but you get the picture. Now finally, 2 years later, I bought another tube of Clinique's Lash Building Primer because I remembered how much I liked it.
While I still think that Lancome's Cils Booster is my favorite and my HG, Clinique's primer is still pretty awesome. In fact it's better than most. And the name is fitting- this product really does build up my lashes! If you were looking for super-dramatic, borderline-drag queen lashes, this is the primer I'd recommend you use under your mascara. The formula is pretty wet and a little heavier than what I remember, this is one that you should let dry for just a minute before applying mascara. Does a really excellent job of smudge-prevention and makes lashes thicker, longer, and bolder.
Great stuff- I love using it and would purchase again!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried Clinique's lash building primer as it's cheaper than Lancome's Cils booster but it doesn't compare in quality and performance.
Clinique's lash primer has a wetter formula which I don't like as it takes the curl out of my lashes. (I have very thin, skimpy Asian lashes so they need all the help they can get)

Pros:
Less expensive than Lancome
Good size brush
Applies a good amount of product on lashes so this is good to build volume (although it maybe a little clumpy)

Cons:
Formula is quite wet and takes a bit of extra time to dry before applying mascara
Can be clumpy

Repurchase:
No, I wouldn't and haven't re-purchased this product and I've gone back to my old standby, Lancome Cils Booster.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by jskellis

I covet long lashes, like giraffe-in-high-heels- long. Like Erich Von Stroheim's "Greed" or the annotated "War and Peace" long. ELEVATOR TO THE MOON LONG. I'm a cardcarrying mascara enthusiast (read: addict) and I've found some great mascaras over the years, especially L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions, Benefit's They're Real, and Rimmel's Sexy Curves.

These are great at lengthening and separating but I still wanted a little more without actually submitting to false lashes. I finally started exploring lash primers and settled on this one. ELF and L'Oreal have decent DS level primers, and Lancome Cils XL is pretty ok and pretty pricey.

But Clinique's, oh my... a perfect fit for me. My lashes are straight, blonde, and have trouble holding a curl. I apply this and then one layer of my mascara when the primer is still wet, curl, and voila!! Beautiful, long, fluttery lashes. It helps prevent clumping and flaking and holds a curl like a champion. I haven't used mascara without this primer since I bought it.

My only difficulty was with the brush. It picks up too much product, but I just scrape it off on the edge of the lid and use the excess for next time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by kikidoll27

I picked this up at a makeup counter in Dillard's. The lady there was really helpful-- she worked for Elizabeth Arden but reccommended I try I lash primer when I said I can never seem to get my lashes to look at big as I want them to. She told me about this lash primer. I've tried one before from wet n wild, but it was one of those cheap double ended ones that came with a set of their lipsticks I wanted. I used it a few times and remembered it being very dry, but in the tester I could tell this one has a wetter formula, so I took a chance on it. It was only fifteen dollars which to me is a good price for a lash primer, which is a none too common makeup item. I really love this lash primer! It adds lenght, volume, and holds a curl. The actual product itself is white, so I need to coat the primer with a pigmented mascara. I also love the packaging. It's simple, no frills, and travel friendly. This is now a staple in my daily makeup routine. I was never intrigued by Clinique, but I may try more from the brand now.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/20/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by elixmia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This primer certainly lengthens and conditions lashes. Another plus is that I did not have an allergic reaction and the product doesn't smell bad. Unfortunately this product turned my lashes bone straight after I had curled them, which is why I won't be buying it again unless I need to condition my lashes for some reason. I thought $15 was a bit excessive, especially since the product did not work as I had hoped. It might work for some whose lashes can handle the weight of the product, but I wouldn't recommend it for those with weaker lashes that have trouble holding curls. There are probably cheaper and better primers out there, but this one may work for some.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 11:26:00 AM More reviews by Lily580

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Hmmmm....this is the first eyelash primer I have ever used so I don't have anything to compare it to. If it's length you're after and don't care about volume then this stuff is definitely for you. It makes me look like I'm wearing false eyelashes! I already have quite long eyelashes so the thing I wanted was volume which i feel like this didn't give me. In fact I had less volume then I usually do just wearing my diorshow mascara by itself. I will be testing out other primers in future I think.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2013 3:39:00 PM More reviews by bassetmomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am an abject failure at applying falsies. I get so frustrated that I usually end up throwing them in the trash. I've considered lash extensions but I am afraid they will bend when I sleep or fall off. I also know they can be rather expensive. My alternative: a lash primer. This product was recommended by a group of ladies on another website. I paired this product with my Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara. The primer gave my lashes added thickness and length, a more "fanned out" appearance. Pretty darn close to the "false lash" look. Well worth the $15 I spent. I only wish the drugstore offered a separate lash primer. The only ones I see are double-ended products where you get so little primer and mascara.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by pelini

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this primer. I like dramatic lashes and I am kind of limited in what I can use because I get contact eczema on my lids with most products. I use this primer to add a little volume to my existing mascara, and it does that well. It is buildable and it's easier to create the spidery lash effect with it, if that is something you like. It works really well with Benefit "they're real."

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Jszczypta

I just really hated this product to be honest! If I used Mascara without it my lashes looked decent, but I thought a primer would do a little something extra and give them a WOW factor! Oh boy was I wrong.... It only made them look worse! My lashes went from medium to horrible! This product does not inhance it makes things worse. Not to mention I have bleach blonde eyelashes. Covering that is hard enough. I don't want WHITE to be showing! Same yourself some money and skip this. Try a homemade one instead. It's easy! All you need is... Vaseline! It's really that easy! Just aply it with an old mascara wand and then use your mascara :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by crissy234

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first eyelash primer I've ever tried, so I can't really say if it's better or worse than any of the other brands. To me, it does appear to add volume, but I don't notice any additional lengthening of the lashes. The thing that I like the best is that it keeps all the mascaras I've tried with it from smudging! It seems to make removing the mascara a little easier as well.