April 18, 2014 | 1867 users online

Toners - Burt's Bees - Garden Tomato Toner

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 12:42:00 AM More reviews by auntita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to love this toner and the the garden tomato complexion soap, I'm so sad it was discontinued.
This was the first cleanser out of dozens I'd tried that actually helped clear up my acne when was quite bad in high school. I noticed improvement very quickly. I had fewer pimples and it evened out my skin tone and removed red marks and scarring. It smells clean and fresh and leaves your skin feeling squeaky clean. This is great for oily skin but may be a little to drying for some.

Great product that is natural and cruelty free.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by xenobia1968

I absolutely love this toner! It gets the icky leftovers of makeup and dirt that my cleanser missed. Moisturizer is a must after using it, but I love the ingredients of this toner as compared to others with harsher chemicals. I have combination skin and have had no breakout issues at all. I will continue to purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by WigglesandWerk

Love this toner, have been using it for 2+ years on and off. I always come back to it. It hasn't lead to any breakouts and leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean and hydrated.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by misspeke

Finally found this in a David Jones store as most place that stock Burt's Bee don't seem to have this toner in stock. Glad I finally got to try it as I think it will be my HG toner, just love the fresh cool clean feeling it gives!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2012 11:51:00 AM More reviews by kbyte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. I use it every night to take off any makeup residue and I'm always surprised how much dirt and makeup comes off my face even after I've used my normal face wash. I have combination skin with dry patches and oily patches so I just make sure to moisturize afterward. Other than the fact that it can be a little drying, it's great! The smell is great too!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2011 6:18:00 AM More reviews by bebopyasha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was the first toner I have used that had a strong alcohol base. I have oily skin, and this product aggravated my skin by over-drying it. Normally I have very minor breakouts, but I ended up with extremely oily skin, clogged / irritated / enlarged pores, and major breakouts. I used this product for almost two months.

Because of my experience with this toner, I would not recommend this to people with oily skin, and especially not to people with dry skin since its results could be even more devastating. Actually, I would not recommend this to anyone.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2011 6:26:00 PM More reviews by dakota2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I used this on my face after cleansing and ran out the door without my normal face makeup (I was late for work). By the end of the day (I work outside), my face was an oil slicked nightmare.
I used it again a few days later after cleansing and applied my normal face products, and by the end of the day, the same thing happened.
I couldn't believe my face could get that oily. It has never been like this. I will not re-purchase it.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by nalina82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a so-so product for me. I didn't feel like it did anything particularly wonderful for me, nor did it do anything bad. I liked the smell of fresh vined tomatos, but there was a lot of alcoholy-smells, too.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by barbaraahh

A lot of people are put off by the fact that SD Alcohol 40 is listed as a second ingredient, but this is what I found out about SD Alcohol 40 on dermadoctor.com:

Alcohol SD-40: sometimes listed as SD Alcohol 40 and synomymous with alcohol SDA-40, it is a high grade purified cosmetic alcohol. Evaporates instantly, so it is used as a vehicle to transport important ingredients to the skin's surface and then leave them there; gentler to the skin than ethyl (rubbing) alcohol. May help kill bacteria.

the alcohol's main purpose is to help the good ingredients in this toner, like the green tea, cucumber, orange and lemon extracts into the skin. It can be a little drying to those with sensitive skin, but for my combination, oily, acne prone skin, this product works very well. I took a lippie off because the fragrance is a little bit overwhelming (I try to stay away from fragrances at all but I love burts bees products and know that their fragrance is derived naturally instead of being parfum, which is irritating to my sensitive skin). Overall, good product, and don't let the alcohol scare you away from trying it out!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2011 6:58:00 PM More reviews by ruikosakuragi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this item a long time ago, and I don't remember whether I returned it or poured it down the drain. Anyways, I was re-reading reviews on this product and decided to give it another try. Turns out, there's a reason why I didn't use this product before and I should've stuck to it.

The smell is herb-y, but there is also a strong alcohol smell. I use this toner after I wash with the Burt's Bees Acne Cleanser, then follow with the lotion. My face is pretty oily, and before I started using the toner, the cleanser + lotion work just fine (maybe a bit towards the oily side). So I thought, hey maybe the toner will balance the oiliness. But with the addition of this toner, my face becomes too dry that it's itchy. At the end, the toner is once again a waste of money. I poured it down the drain and my sink smells good for about 5 minutes. Wouldn't buy it again and this review will remind me to do so.