October 21, 2014 | 1932 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Purefume Brilliant Humectant Pomade

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by aimeexo

Been using this product since I was like 12. My salon has always sold aveda products and my mom would buy stuff for me hahaha so ever since she bought it for me I've been in love.

PROS:
- makes my hair shiny, static free, and incredibly soft
- beautiful musky kinda scent (hard to describe, smells very plant like but in a good way lmao)
- lasts FOREVER. Seriously in the past SIX YEARS I've gone through 2 containers
- you only need a very very small amount of product

CONS:
- makes hands greasy and hard to wash off
- if you over apply (which can be easy to do) it makes your hair look greasy
- I find that when I use this product on my hair when it's natural and curly, it appears slightly more greasy than when I use it on flat-ironed hair
- price: my salon sells it for $40, for a small container. You definitely get an awesome amount of product for your money though considering you only need less than a pinky nail sized dot of product

Overall, I will continue to repurchase this over and over. So worth the price tag because it lasts forever, and is great for frizzy hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 12:29:00 PM More reviews by Georgia13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for many years! It lasts a very long time, and I always have to have one waiting to open when the jar is getting low. My husband (who does not go to salons and is very no-frills when it comes to hair and products) will not go a day without using this. He says it keeps his very short hair lying flat, and not "poofing" out.
The packaging is very pretty, and the smell is pure heaven! If you like the way an Aveda salon smells, then you will LOVE this. I wish I had a perfume or body lotion that smells like this. (I always wipe the excess around my neck after applying to my hair!)
I have long, naturally straight hair, which tends to lie flat if i don't use any volumizer, and I cannot use this above my ears. I use a teeny bit, rub between my hands and smooth it from my ears down, concentrating on my ends. I know girls who will smooth it over their head after pulling their hair back to eliminate frizz, but if I did that it would be too greasy for my hair/scalp.
Pay no attention to the price - it is worth every penny, and it will last you a year. When I say I use a "teeny bit", I mean I basically tap my finger into the pot, not scooping any up.
I also have this similar product in the "squirt" bottle, very much the same but more of a serum/oil than a pomade, and it is too concentrated and heavy. This pomade is much easier to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by chairmanmiao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was one of my first purchases after discovering make up alley as I was searching for a hair product to tame the frizz and dryness that my hair had become.

The packaging was a medium dark blue jar and the product had a light gel like texture kind of like jelly.it had a highly perfumed scent that lasted all day as the hair absorbed the gel.

You only need the smallest amount rub between your hands and smooth down all the frizzy hairs .it leaves a real nice sheen on the hair but avoid using too much product or the hair looks like frizzy dried out hair in need of a wash which sounds
like a contradiction I know, how can dry frizzy hair texture look like it needs detergent shampoo products to strip it of its natural oils when the fact that it was lacking natural oils in the first place is what makes you apply product.what I have noticed with some people who has very dry frizzy uncontrollable hair is that usually the roots arnt dry and frizzy its actually the length of the hair which has grown away from the roots that lacks moisture yet I don't fully understand how this is possible.it also helps to smooth split ends which I know is the reason hairdressers recommend their customers visit them every 6 weeks to get their hair cut shorter and styles in the fashion.again I am not sure what is causing split ends as in other parts of the world people never get their hair cut and never get split ends.even in Europe paintings depicted women with very long thick full healthy beautiful hair that wasn't damaged or having split ends or dry and frizzy and they didn't even have all the hair care products available to them to treat these conditions.in fact I believe they didn't even wash their hair usually animal with fur doesn't wash its hair and they don't really like water and somehow they have no split ends, no thinning hair and no frizzy hair.a good painting to look at hairstyles from the pre~consumer hair products era is italian Sandro Botticelli painting The Birth of Venus (1445~1510) Firenze (Florence).

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 10:48:00 AM More reviews by mtuckfield

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've got thick hair with varying types of curl, but mostly 2C, that I shampoo every 5-6 days. I use this on dry hair to keep frizz at bay and to add a nice shine to my curls. Like others, I use a small amount of this every day - too much and you've got greasy hair. Aveda humectant pomade has been around since the early 1990's. It was the first curly hair product I ever used, and I am still consistently using it, while I'm constantly experimenting with different brands of shampoos, conditioners, styling gels/creams. I find the fragrance is actually pleasant, but others find it a bit herbal/medicinal - not a problem if you use a tiny bit of product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2012 12:42:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

This product is absolutely an HG product. I have 2b-3a hair that's medium thickness. I wash every 5-6 days with an argan oil shampoo and conditioner (I don't follow the curly girl method, though I use some tips from them).

I am currently wearing this pomade on my mid-back length hair and am wearing it down with day 5 hair. Yes, you read that right, I am on day 5 and my hair still looks fabulous. I ironed the top and the bottom is in these gorgeous shiny loose ringlets. It looks like that "supermodel" hair you see everywhere. This pomade works so well that I was able to brush out my hair, put some of this in and then reform the curls without getting a greasy look.

Several people have commented on my day 4 and 5 hair about how pretty it looks. That NEVER happens. I normally have it in some kind of updo by day 3, but with this I just brush it out and reform the curls. I only actually applied the pomade once on day 2 and it has held its shape ever since.

I cannot imagine doing my hair without this anymore. I've tried a couple different leave in products and it doesn't matter much so long as I start with curls. When I first started using this product I was applying it to damp hair and while it had a nice effect, it didn't wow me. But using this to revive slept on curls, that did wow me.

Another bonus, this jar goes "boing" when you hit it. It's really fun. The smell doesn't bother me. It smells a little like bug spray, but I like camping.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2011 12:40:00 PM More reviews by maquin22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have had the same jar for almost 3 years. I did not know how to use it properly before, so I only used it as a styling aid when wearing my hair pulled back. It eliminated frizzies without a hard hold.

Lately I have been using this whenever I choose not to blow dry and let my hair air dry. I apply moroccan oil serum to very wet hair. Comb with a wide tooth comb, clip hair and get dressed. I emulsify a *smidge* less than dime size of this product between my palms and apply to still damp hair from the bottom up while carefully separating curls and moving pieces away from my face. Let air dry. I am left with soft frizz free curls that are touchable. If going out that night and concerned with hold a VERY light mist of hairspray will do.

Be careful to not apply too much as this will leave you with greasy hair. Less is definitely more with this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2011 3:23:00 PM More reviews by jaritos

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I need a jar of this at all times. I have long 2b curls and they get frizzy if I am not careful. As curly girls know, you need a routine. Leave-in, Gel, and then this is my finisher. If I accidentally put too much gel in, this will break up the crunchiness - but I use it every day because it always adds glossy shine and just that extra touch of finish and definition to my curls after I air dry them. Looks like jello in a jar and it lasts FOREVER because you use just the tiniest bit. A miracle.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2010 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Rachel137

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a heavy, clear, gelatinous/wobbly pomade. Its scent is like the other Aveda Brilliant products, except a tad milder and it doesn't linger nearly as much. (I tried the Aveda Brilliant Emollient Finishing Gloss as a smoothing product on my dry hair, but it was SO heavily fragranced that I couldn't stand it! Plus it didn't work as well as this product did on me.)

My second-day, brushed-out, wavy/curly hair sometimes looks downright broom-tastic, so I needed a product to make it look softer, shinier, and way less frizzy. The Humectant Pomade works pretty well (I use it on dry hair, not wet). Apply sparingly and gradually add more as needed, as it makes hair look greasy if over-applied (I use less than a pea-size amount and add more if necessary). It defines my waves, makes them look smoother and shinier, and helps prevent my hair from frizzing.

Feb. 2011 Update: for some reason this stopped being quite so effective. I rediscovered an Herbal Essences Cream (already in my stash) that's working much better for me. It's a light cream rather than a heavy pomade.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 12:07:00 PM More reviews by sunshine824

I finally figured out how to make this work for me!!!

I've been using and loving Aveda's Brilliant Shampoo & Conditioner. However, I've been having a hard time figuring out how to use their styling products - namely the Brilliant Universal Styling Creme & this product - the Brilliant Humectant Pomade. I recently figured out the Styling Creme and dug out the Pomade to see if I could make it work for me and it does. :-) I think the trick is that Aveda products are very high quality and you only need to use a *tiny* bit. I've never experienced that because my hair tends to eat up hair products by the bottle. Any time a hair product says to apply a "dime size amount" I laugh and apply a palmful because a dime would disappear before even covering my ends. :-/ But with Aveda, if it says to use a pea size or dime size amount - do it. It will work like it says.

My hair is baby fine, curly, and tends to be dry even though I hardly ever heat style and don't use any chemical processes or dyes.

When I first used this product it made my hair feel waxy and then dry. I didn't know why so I put it away. Now I've figured out that it's just extremely heavy by itself. So I use it mixed with a drop at a time of coconut oil. Here's what I do: Section hair that is 75% or more dry into 4 sections. Apply less than the tip of my fingernail's worth onto my palm followed by a drop of coconut oil and mix together. Smooth through my hair, braid or twist up until dry(I don't like leaving my wet hair out, it gets on my nerves >_< ). Move on to the next section.

My hair is soft and moisturized all day. :-) Plus I A.D.O.R.E. the scent. I initially bought it for the scent alone and didn't even know how to use it. lol But now that I've figured it out, I'll probably be using it daily. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2010 10:33:00 PM More reviews by chitownkel

I have a short pixie cut, baby fine hair but TONS of it, and I like it to look as insanely shiny as humanly possible (cuz there isnt much of it!)

I can't count the compliments I get when I have this in my hair. VERY addictive! Smells like Heaven.

I apply it while my hair is still wet and my hair DOES keep that "I-just-showered" look with this product WITHOUT looking like I have a bunch of "gel" in my hair. At least for the morning. Then (sigh!) it dries out on me. I have to keep going to the restroom to dampen my hair and freshen the style - but then I have to do that with EVERY thing I put in my hair. I crave a product that would stay "wet looking" all day but my search continues....