September 1, 2014 | 1067 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Satin - Smut

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by fionahz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really like the colour of Smut - a deep grey with a taupe tone, but on me it's gone by lunchtime. Other MAC shadows stay on me but Smut just disappears. Such a shame, it's a very useful colour but it's lack of staying power means I won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Alfordalice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Super pretty alternative to black or brown for smokey eyeliner.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2014 6:34:00 AM More reviews by hollyOH

Being a student I don't have much time to make my eyeshadow complex with many different eyeshadows, so this is my go to. In the morning i just sweep this across my lids with a 239 then take a 217 to blend it out and if given the time add a highlight. It goes nicely with my black eyeliner to make it look like less intense smokey eye. I use to use satin taupe as my everyday color but then switched and started to get compliments so i just stuck with it. It stays pretty well because i put painterly paint pot under just to make an easier application. Stays pretty well through the day can wear away but overall pretty good. Though the clear plastic circle in the lid popped out somehow. Would recommend!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 5:27:00 PM More reviews by stls

Smut is the after dark version of Satin Taupe with less of the lilac undertone. I LOVE my Satin Taupe and was very excited finding the perfect shade to smoke it out and really is brilliant for that. Why not 5 lipsticks then? Well, there's a catch. For me, it lacks in terms of blendabily and you might think it's super pigmented but it isn't. The good news is that:
- The color is great for smoking out as stated above.
- Can be built up for a smashing smokey eye on its own.
- As a liner it won't give you a crisp line when used dry but this way it looks a tad smudged and it's great for daytime.
- Lasts all day or night over TFSI.

Overall I'm glad I got Smut because it gets lots of use but would be outstanding if the texture was smoother.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/28/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Dramos620

OMG! What r u gurls talking about!! Let start off by saying the economy is tough now and have to save money but DARN IT!! Do I LUV MY EYESHADOWS!!!! I have so many from several palettes of UD, bobbi brown, Clinique to lancome. I never want to spend money if I have a eyeshadow at home that might be a duplicate. Lets just say that smut there is nothing out there close to it. I am a picky buyer and I just made my Mac palette with colors that are not duplicate took some time but I got it done. Smut is such a beautiful smoky lovely color. I'm a nc40 brown eyes and it looks AMAZING. Lids blan type creAse soft brown n sable and outer v satin taupe. WEPA!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 11:40:00 PM More reviews by jdmcgi2

Smut is actually a velvet eye shadow that looks like a dark brown plum color in the pan. On my eyes it ends up looking like a deep dark charcoal brownish black (nothing like the color charcoal brown though). The plum doesn't show up as much on the eyes but there is that something that makes the shadow pop more and I suppose that's it. It is a lot less harsh than plain black or even grey/charcoal so it doesn't wash me out as much since I'm on the fair side right now. I just bought smut so I have only tried one look with it so far but it was enough to love the eye shadow. I smoked out smut around my lashline and up to almost half way or a third up on my lid. I then put saddle and texture lightly above that and in the crease. Then kitten as a highlight and in the inner corners of the eye and twinks on the outer v. Once I put twinks on the plum/burgandyish shades in smut started to show a tiny bit. Loved the smokiness smut gave my eyes and how well it looked with twinks. I did have to do quite a bit of blending as it isn't the easiest to apply but when done right it's well worth it. Smut just may be my new dark shade I use for eye shadow looks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by BrittaBot

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wish I had known about Smut years ago. I picked it up only because it was recommended by a beauty blogger for fair skin, and it turns out the rec is right on. I'm around the 15-20 skin shades in MAC, and I tend to find blacks and heavy grays too dark for me. Smut is a cool toned, smoky charcoal that blends beautifully. I use it to emphasize my crease, create smoky eyes, and to line my lashes. It looks beautiful with grays and purples, and you can use just a little for definition, or use a lot to really deepen your eye look.

Smut never caught my attention before, but I now consider it a necessary shade because it's incredibly versatile by being both natural and bold, depending on how you use it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2013 5:38:00 PM More reviews by Devildog4025

Smut is an EXTREMELY matte color... with little shimmer pigments here and there which I am not a fan of. It seems to be a brownish-black color... and as other reviews have said, it is a great smokey eye shadow. Unfortunatley, it is just not what I need. I don't like the way it goes on and I really now just reserve it for something to layer on top when I can't find my beloved Black Tied in my makeup bag.
***EDIT***: I tried to be a bit versatile with this, and surprisingly it is. I have bumped it up to 3 lippies... I now use this OVER a lighter brown shade and only in the outer corners and it looks really good. Will still not re-purchase, but I have been able to find a way to use what I have left (which is a whole pot).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 4:58:00 PM More reviews by hazelblackolive

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Smut is a beautiful, neutral, suits everyone type of shade that makes for the ultimate sexy colour for a smokey eye when you don't want to use black (I never do) or brown. It helps that it was created for Kate Moss as a substitute for a darker smokey eye, which gives it a bit of a rock star reputation. It works hand in hand with any other makeup on the face because, again - it's neutral (god bless those neutral wonders!). I would suggest this as a staple, for anyone starting - or adding to - a collection of MAC, or indeed any shadows.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous charcoal gray with purple and brown tones. I love using this instead of black eyeshadows because I find it less harsh and more flattering for my eyes! I love pairing this eyeshadow with browns and purples eyeshadows to make a colorful smoky eye. Def would repurchase! :)