April 17, 2014 | 1431 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for a super sturdy concealer that would be able to cope with some pesky reddish-violet post spot marks on my face. I have quite a good skin but a couple of months ago I went trough some bizarre spot phase which after squeezing (silly me, but I could not help it…) left not very pretty marks on my cheeks. These were very difficult to cover - I've tried Vichy Dermablend, MUFE Full Cover concealer, Bobbi Brown and several others but after watching Lexie Blush raving about it on her YT channel (she is a French blogger, pale and with skin type similar to mine) I said to myself 'ok, that is it' and galloped to Space NK the very same afternoon.

To my chagrin I fit exactly between SC2 and SC3 but there was no way I would spend over £50 on the concealer (one costs £26), even the best one (I've tried Horurglass and Cle de Peau that everyone raves about and they were frankly so so for my under eyes area) so after much debate and trying in on my face (sales assistant looked bored but in the end she turned out to be helpful) in daylight, I went home with SC3 - more neutral one of the two but also with the left side of the duo, imho a half a tone darker than in the SC2 case.

So far so good, it works well with my Dior & Chanel 020 skin tone, I managed to work out the application process (Lexie advised warming the brush on the hand with the product on) and pinpoint my marks out to perfection. It lasted well all day and washed off neatly with my cleansing oil.

Now I need to find a perfect under eye concealer...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Krunce

It was hard for me to decide to buy this because the reviews for it are so polarized. But I paid special attention to the reviews that explained how make up artists use this, and have copied them and I really really like it.

This has replaced all of my concealers, for face AND undereyes! I'm able to pare down my entire make up routine a whole bunch because of this, and for the first time, I can actually get rid of my chronically dark undereyes, and not emphasize my natural creases with oil-based concealers that settle into my creases.

Here's how I use it:

1) I bought the hyper expensive camouflage brush because if you try to use your fingers or another concealing brush, the bristles are stiff enough, and your application isn't focussed enough.

2) I swipe a bunch of product from the lighter side onto one side of the brush, and then a bunch more from the darker side onto the other side of the brush. The repeated motions and the friction heats the product up a bit and makes it creamier.

3) I swipe all of that product onto the thumb-ball of my hand and swirl it around in a tiny focussed area, heating the product up even more.

4) I swipe a bit of this where I need it: in the very very innermost corners of my undereyes a tiny bit, on the top of my nose and around my nostrils, and onto any blemishes.

5) I clean off the thumb-ball of my hand by wiping it on either of my cheeks, which tend to be a bit redder than my face.

6) I pat all of the product in lightly with a finger.

It blends in really beautifully, and after I let it set for just a minute or so, I can put on tinted moisturizer overtop without smearing the concealer away.

Surprisingly, I also find this really really simple to use. Much simpler than the array of concealers and layering I was using before.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by xhh2011

I really like this, since it only oxidises slightly or not at all. Since I have really sensitive skin I'm prone to breakouts, so far I haven't had any issues with LM products. I am extremely pale and yellow, and this works wonderfully. I use SC-1 and it works well on blemishes. Don't bother using it for under eye concealing, unless aging is the look you're going for. Overall, I would fork out the money to re purchase since it doesn't break me out and it does not turn orange like many other concealers in their lightest shade.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 5:10:00 PM More reviews by shi1

I heard so many rave reviews about this product that I thought this would be a great concealer. Its not that it isn't, but it definitely took some time to learn how to use. It took me a while to finally get along with it. Let me explain.

The color. I was matched to SC-2 which includes one neutral beige color, and a salmon color. It takes some practice to find out what combination of the two colours will make a perfect match for your skin. It took me many tries to find the right mix, and as your skin changes color during the year, it'll take more practice. Its tricky, and takes time but it gives better depth of color than just one color alone. It also gives you the flexibility to make your custom color. The salmon is actually really good at diffusing darkness (i.e. under eyes).

The formula is very very dry. I have the Lise Watier color wheel, and I think this might even be drier than that. I like dry formulas to conceal zits/scabs/dark scars. If the concealer is too creamy, there is more chance that it will move. The degree of dryness makes it a bit difficult to use. I find that using fingers definitely helps to make it more workable, but if you're using a brush prepare to work a little bit. Try to warm it up on the back of your hand to help it along. Once you manage to get it on, its golden. It conceals in natural light as well as indoor light, and it stays put. It is too dry to use under your eyes so I use a small amount of the salmon color to reduce the darkness and then top with a liquid/brightening concealer.

I like that it comes in a compact with a mirror. It makes it good for travel and touchups. Price wise its quite expensive. I wasn't expecting it to be that difficult to work with when I first brought it home. Its a good product but it takes time and patience to learn to use it. I think there are other options for full coverage concealers that would be less troublesome.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by JJHope34

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff is alright as far as concealers go its no where near my top ten

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by msharajuku

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this concealer, i've seen some reviews complaining about its dry consistency. It is very dry so if youre covering a spot or some flakiness (gross, sorry!), this is not the concealer to use and definitely not under the eye! Under eye concealers should be creamy!! I use this was Laura Mercier's concealer brush and i have to say i really like this concealer if used properly. I can use it all year round on a random red patch or soreness, and especially around the nose and it will disappear. My only issue is that because it's so dry sometimes it can be quite difficult to work with and you have to spend a lot of time concealing whatever you need to cover. This is why I slightly think this product is over rated.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2014 12:57:00 AM More reviews by Luvxsweets

I was looking for a new under eye concealer since the mac one I'd been using ran out. I spent ages in Sephora, and after testing multiple samples and talking to a few store associates, I came out with this. I really liked that it had a colour for brightening/correcting and then the actual concealer. Unfortunately, this was terrible

Packaging: **
Although the compact is cute and you seem to be getting quite a bit of product, you have to contantly rub your finger or brush into it and it gets dry and dirty very very quickly.

Consistency: *
This product is unbelievably dry. I even tried to warm it up by blowing hot air onto it. When I tried to use my finger I had to literally dig into it and rub it around multiple times before enough would get on, to spread under my eyes. Over time it became even worse. It was a struggle to warm it up ever morning. Consequently, the product was hard to work with, and very difficult to blend. It made my under eyes look cakey.

Coverage: **
The coverage of the corrector is decent and I actually found I used it the most (but I think that's only because the color was so good, it really helped brighten my under eyes). I rarely touched the acual concealer color. I found it didn't cover at all.

Longevity: **
It tended to last okay although I did layer other products over top of it. However, it would always separate throughout the day and expose lines under my eyes. If you have mature skin, I would deff stay away.

To make matters worse, the price was ridiculously high. I believe I paid around $43 for this. I ended up retuning it. I would say don't bother giving this a try, It's really expensive and very hard to work with.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:25:00 AM More reviews by grandmastersass

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've never written a review on MU, but after snagging this concealer last week I felt totally compelled. This is, without a doubt, the best concealer I've ever used. Its texture is waxy and the product is a little stubborn, which I actually find positive because it encourages me to only use as much as I need—which is VERY LITTLE. I use it with a retractable lip brush, an ideal accompaniment because I can toss it in my purse without the head collecting stray dirt and tobacco. The pigmentation is top-notch and the blending feature gets the color just right. My face is ridden with some serious monster zits right now, and Secret Camo eradicates ALL evidence of them. Packaging is a little cumbersome, but I actually find brush application yields the best results. Get thee to the Laura Mercier counter y'all, especially my fellow zitty freak comrades.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2013 10:26:00 AM More reviews by rachael122

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

At first, I really wasn't sure how I felt about this product. I felt like the consistency was very dry and it was difficult to use. After learning to use it, however, I've grown to like it a lot more. It does have a waxy texture but I don't find it to be drying. I use my finger to apply this because it works better than using a brush for me. I know that this is not meant for under the eyes, but that's what I mostly use it for and feel like it works well for me. It provides a lot of coverage and eliminates dark circles completely. Also, this stuff will last you a long time--I've had this product for over a year and have yet to hit pan yet. My only complaint is that I wish it was available with single shades for people like me who only use one side of the compact anyways.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2013 6:32:00 PM More reviews by songy67

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC15 in MAC foundations and I picked up the shade SC-2. I stood there in store for a long time debating between SC-2 and SC-3. I believe the two have an identical shade housed in the larger concealer pan, but the smaller pan of SC-2 is a peachy-salmon shade whereas SC-3 has a slightly darker, more yellow color.

When I first dug into this I was a little put off by how dry it felt. I had to really swirl my finger in the pan to melt it a bit and pick up any product. However, once you get through the top waxy layer, the product underneath gets noticeably easier to work with. Now I can pick it up with a brush just as easily as with a finger.

The pigmentation is insane. Extremely high-coverage! I originally thought this would have a thick, waxy consistency to it, but the texture is actually quite a bit thinner than expected and relatively lightweight without sacrificing coverage. It's definitely not an emollient or moisturizing formula though so I wouldn't use this on my under-eye area. I reserve this for use on redness, blemishes, and scars.

The larger pan has strong yellow undertones and is a shade or two darker than my skin tone. However, these two color characteristics make it great for canceling out the redness under my nose and the redness of blemishes and muting down their appearance on my skin. The other smaller pan of salmon-toned concealer is perfect for correcting that ashy/ gray shadow you can get when a blemish is dying and on its way out, or the grayness of old scars and other imperfections.

I have oily/ combo skin and this wears really well throughout the day. I notice that whatever I conceal in the morning remains concealed. If you have dry skin though I would recommend exfoliating, prepping, and moisturizing your skin well. This has the tendency to dry out areas of the skin that are already suffering and can make it appear scaly and flaky.

This product should last for a very very long time because it is so pigmented and you get so much product. However, I'm not too pleased that it only comes in a compact pan form where so much of the product is exposed to the air and dust. It's not the most hygienic and I prefer cream concealers in stick form, or liquid concealers in a squeeze tube.

This is one of those products that has achieved the status of living legend in the makeup world. You hear every makeup artist and their mother swear by this, and so it leads to you throwing $32 + tax at Sephora to take this home with you. It really is a fantastic product though and I'm happy to own it. My other go-to concealers for the face are MAC's Studio Finish Concealer, Make-Up Forever Full-Cover Concealer, and the Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette.