July 29, 2014 | 1666 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Camouflage

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 4:13:00 PM More reviews by Coebags

My second purchase of LM makeup. I got a pretty good colour match with SC2 but I think I could go 1 higher or lower because of the 2 colours in each set. My skin changes day to day and I can create my own shades for different parts of my face in one easy step. It is not intended for use under the eyes but I think you could get away with it if you used a very small amount and warmed the product up first. I do have the under eye concealer which is very creamy but I do believe that it's a bit of a con to have 2 different ones. The secret camo doesn't budge all day long.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/6/2014 9:24:00 AM More reviews by Adrianna281

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm not really fond about this product. It's absolutely cakey and it doesn't really "fulfill" its label as a Secret Camouflage concealer, because it sits on top of my pores. I don't know if I just suck at covering spots but this product is meh. It lacks that easy application, and I do not recommend this for beginners. As they will just get frustrated as it is not "User friendly". It also doesn't cover my marks, even after several applications so that's a bummer.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2014 11:02:00 AM More reviews by stls

Secret Camouflage is my first Laura Mercier product. It really has incredible coverage and lasting powder so I can understand why it's considered a cult favourite but just didn't meet my needs.

First of all I'm confused about the color selection. Why so much salmon and peach? These colors cancel blue tones - that can mostly be found in undereye circles - and yet it's not supposed to be used for covering undereye circles. I just don't get that.

My coloring is between NC15 and NW10 and the SA recommended SC1, personally I think the yellow part of SC2 and the white part of SC1 would be a good match but it retails 36 euros where I live and there's no why I spend 100 dollars to get both knowing that half the amount will remain unused. On top of that I avoid sun and don't tan easily anyway so a good color match would be fine year round.

The hard texture is a bit unpleasant to work with as well, even after you're used to it. I care about having good results but I also care about products that are pleasant to work with. Plus, where a great concealer is needed is when having a hideous zit. I can't always resist picking mine so the skin there is inevitably rough. No concealer will look flawless over flaking skin but Secret Camouflage will look horrendous and no moisturizer or primer can make up for it.

For all these reasons my SC1 remains neglected and I won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 4:28:00 PM More reviews by TheHateress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this after watching and hearing certain professional makeup artists, including Lisa Eldridge speak well about its performance. I absolutely concur with everything they've said, as this has become my go-to concealer for all purpose coverage.

Prior to purchasing this, I had never used a wax based concealer, which I think is the main reason this performs so very well, It does NOT budge until it's removed. The package contains two concealer shades, one dark and one lighter orange/peach color corrector. I purchased SC-8, the deepest shade, and the darker color is an exact match for my skin, while the color corrector is great for addressing dark spots and also brightening my under eye area.

What I find needs a bit of finesse and getting used to is how hard the product is, so in order to get even and natural looking coverage is to warm the product up extensively before applying. It ensures the smoothest application and from using too much product. My recommendation for a brush would be to use a flat concealer brush, my preference is one made by Le Metier de Beaute, and to conceal before using foundation. I often find that once I am done concealing, I could just set with powder and go.

If I could suggest one improvement to this product, it would be to make the product wells equal in size. Other than that, it's a great product at a great value (in terms of quantity, not price) and I would not hesitate to buy it again once it runs out.

I purchased mine from Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2014 8:25:00 AM More reviews by newbie1706

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this concealer because it was recommended a lot by Lisa Eldridge.
And I didn't regret it!
It is not to dry, lasts the whole day and doesn't sit in wrinkles. Added to that you can mix the colors to match your skin tone. And a little really goes a long way, I bought it one month ago and used it every day, but I looks barely used. Also the packaging is very nice with a mirror. Nice if you need a little touch up in the evening.
But I noticed, that it only works with the right concealer brush, that's very important for application!

I was really convinced of the bobbi brown concealer stick I used until then, but this concealer is much better as it doesn't get cakey on your face, doesn't smudge or get greasy and applies more accurate.
I would definitely recommend it!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/27/2014 6:55:00 AM More reviews by dolliedsj1989

I got this product as my mum bought it for herself and it didn't go with her skin. I can't make my mind up if I like this product or not. I use it mainly on clients if they have really bad break outs. And they seem to be very pleased with the results. I use it if I have a breakout or under my eye area. I feel it's quite thick and can sometimes be a bit dry and flakey looking. It is however a good product and does hide a multi-tude of sins.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 4:54:00 AM More reviews by makeuptraveller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very pricy however, their concealers are great! Its two toned and I used the darker shade for spots and even for contouring and the lighter hade for highlighting. I haven't repurchased it as it cost a lot of money and does not last me as long as some other concealers. It is a great concealer to buy and use for special events and night outs as its coverage is great and its cream based which I like when it comes to concealers :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was looking for a super sturdy concealer that would be able to cope with some pesky reddish-violet post spot marks on my face. I have quite a good skin but a couple of months ago I went trough some bizarre spot phase which after squeezing (silly me, but I could not help it…) left not very pretty marks on my cheeks. These were very difficult to cover - I've tried Vichy Dermablend, MUFE Full Cover concealer, Bobbi Brown and several others but after watching Lexie Blush raving about it on her YT channel (she is a French blogger, pale and with skin type similar to mine) I said to myself 'ok, that is it' and galloped to Space NK the very same afternoon.

To my chagrin I fit exactly between SC2 and SC3 but there was no way I would spend over £50 on the concealer (one costs £26), even the best one (I've tried Horurglass and Cle de Peau that everyone raves about and they were frankly so so for my under eyes area) so after much debate and trying in on my face (sales assistant looked bored but in the end she turned out to be helpful) in daylight, I went home with SC3 - more neutral one of the two but also with the left side of the duo, imho a half a tone darker than in the SC2 case.

So far so good, it works well with my Dior & Chanel 020 skin tone, I managed to work out the application process (Lexie advised warming the brush on the hand with the product on) and pinpoint my marks out to perfection. It lasted well all day and washed off neatly with my cleansing oil.

Now I need to find a perfect under eye concealer...

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Krunce

It was hard for me to decide to buy this because the reviews for it are so polarized. But I paid special attention to the reviews that explained how make up artists use this, and have copied them and I really really like it.

This has replaced all of my concealers, for face AND undereyes! I'm able to pare down my entire make up routine a whole bunch because of this, and for the first time, I can actually get rid of my chronically dark undereyes, and not emphasize my natural creases with oil-based concealers that settle into my creases.

Here's how I use it:

1) I bought the hyper expensive camouflage brush because if you try to use your fingers or another concealing brush, the bristles are stiff enough, and your application isn't focussed enough.

2) I swipe a bunch of product from the lighter side onto one side of the brush, and then a bunch more from the darker side onto the other side of the brush. The repeated motions and the friction heats the product up a bit and makes it creamier.

3) I swipe all of that product onto the thumb-ball of my hand and swirl it around in a tiny focussed area, heating the product up even more.

4) I swipe a bit of this where I need it: in the very very innermost corners of my undereyes a tiny bit, on the top of my nose and around my nostrils, and onto any blemishes.

5) I clean off the thumb-ball of my hand by wiping it on either of my cheeks, which tend to be a bit redder than my face.

6) I pat all of the product in lightly with a finger.

It blends in really beautifully, and after I let it set for just a minute or so, I can put on tinted moisturizer overtop without smearing the concealer away.

Surprisingly, I also find this really really simple to use. Much simpler than the array of concealers and layering I was using before.

UPDATE: I've been using this for a while now and I still really really love it! It is now my absolute replacement for any other undereye product. My undereye area looks way younger since I've been using it because it isn't gathering in my creases and over accentuating them.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by xhh2011

I really like this, since it only oxidises slightly or not at all. Since I have really sensitive skin I'm prone to breakouts, so far I haven't had any issues with LM products. I am extremely pale and yellow, and this works wonderfully. I use SC-1 and it works well on blemishes. Don't bother using it for under eye concealing, unless aging is the look you're going for. Overall, I would fork out the money to re purchase since it doesn't break me out and it does not turn orange like many other concealers in their lightest shade.