December 18, 2014 | 1013 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Lustre Capricious

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2014 6:03:00 PM More reviews by 1017

I waffled on this purchase for 6 months. I tried what I thought were better alternatives for what ever reason, Plumful, Sweetie....both nice. But Capricious is what I really wanted and I was drawn to. The swatches online were so varied...some looked more pink, others rosey, other swatches what it looks like on me...a berry red. On my NW20 (deep soft winter), almost black hair brown eyes, this is a red toned berry (instead of a purple toned berry). It is juicy enough to work in the warmer months & look great, but at its heart shines best in fall/winter. I put Capricious on and I finally felt that "oh yeah" feeling I had been waiting for with my previous purchases. I would see it on Lana Parilla (Regina/Evin Queen) on Once Upon a Time but think "it won't look like that on me"....but it does :) It is that berry red goodness. If I want to add some more vamp to it, you can use Plum lipliner.

For the record, I like the other two shades. Sweetie is great for all year round, very safe and easy. Plumful is very pretty, but didn't give me that "oh yeah" feeling I got when I put on Capricious. With Plumful I would hear "nice lipstick". With Capricious, I hear, "wow, you look great!" It just makes my features pop more. I have kept all three though. They all have their place. in my order of favorites are Capricious, Sweetie then Plumful.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by FNP

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have dark plum colored lips and Capricious is a perfect sheer plummy nude on me. Very safe for work. I love the texture and the shine.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2014 2:41:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a sheer, berry red color that can be built up if desired. I was looking for this exact color of lipstick, but when I got it, it didn't impress me. I'm not a fan of the Lustre formula, i'm sure that's why it didn't apply smoothly. When I would apply it, it would have these little chunks of red all over my lip. It only lasted on my lips for about ninety minutes, it was really similar to a lipgloss. I love the color, but unfortunately that's not enough for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 3:50:00 PM More reviews by LindseyAnne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I was looking for a good fall/winter lipstick color and this one caught my eye. It's not as intense as many other typical dark berry colors that are popular in the colder months. I would describe it as a just bitten look. Like a your lips but better berry tint. It's the perfect shade for this time of year, but it's also wearbale enough for any other time as well. This was my first lustre lipstick from mac and I really wasn't sure I'd like it. But I actually like the feel of it better than the creamsheen formula. It's not quite as thick and pretty moisturizing. The staying power isn't great, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Overall, great lipstick. I think anyone could pull off this shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2013 2:10:00 AM More reviews by kimsaprincess

Bought this after much research on Regina's lipstick in Once Upon a Time. I wear it with mac lipliner in plum, like she does, and it is perfect together. LOVE for winter time <3

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 6:22:00 AM More reviews by Zubiczubic

I love this color. I have very pale lips and this is just a perfect color to make them pop but also to be very nice and soft. It is very builtable which I adore so it fit any occasion! Great buy! :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been looking for a mlbb colour for ages. For referance I am NC10-15, blue eyes, black hair. I can look washed out quite easily. My lips are very pigmented and pink so I need something relatively dark but still natural looking. I have tried all sorts, NARS dolce vita lip pencil was the most natural looking, but the texture was uneven on my lips. I have since found I look better with a natural shade that tends toward plummy. I used to use Revlon Just Bitten Lip Stain in Midnight which really made my eye colour pop, but it dried not only my lips but the product dried out quite easily also. MAC's Capricious is very similar to this colour, but a little lighter which I prefer. And as it is a lipstick it wears off easier. It's a lustre finish so it does have a shine to it. However, this is is a good mlbb colour for me, I just wish it had a little less brown and more pink, however that is no big deal.
My sister who is about NC40 and her friend who is about NC45 both tried on this lipstick and looked great in it. They are both going to buy it!
In the film Black Swan with Natalie Portman, if you look up the poster with her face cracked like a painting, the colour on her lips is almost exactly what it is on mine...(http://www.impawards.com/2010/black_swan_ver7_xlg.html)
Whilst at MAC, I tried on COSMO also, which was a mlbb colour, but I found it a little too pink for my lips.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by lightgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wow.. If I give a MAC lippie a 2, ya know I really don't like it! It's the formula really, I HATE Lustres! Too sheer, bleed in lip lines, last maybe 30 minutes, fade splotchy - UGH!!!!!!!!!!

I love the color of Capricious though, and I've found a DUPE in a MUCH nicer formula!!!!

Maybelline Perfect Plum... look up my review of it on here and you'll see why! :D Sometimes I layer Capricious OVER Perfect Plum for a glossy effect.

NC15/NW20

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 8:23:00 AM More reviews by drcrab325

This is an amazing color which i read after reading a review on this site. Im an NC 42 and it really suits for my skin color. Its perfect for everyday use. One of the best MAC colors after amorous. :-).

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by zahra81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Capricious is a sheer plummy lipstick that looks pretty if applied with one or two swipes, especially on olive skin, but can look a bit vampy if heavily applied. If you'd like to cover pigmented lips, try applying lip liner and/or a dab of concealer before applying this lipstick.