December 19, 2014 | 1550 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Bag Balm

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2014 8:03:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Got a big ol' tub of this years ago at Lee Valley and it is still going strong. Not the most elegant of products to use (messy, greasy, takes a lot of time to soak in) but in the winter, when my hands and feet are really chapped, this works really well. Thing is, if it's on my hands, I can't do anything else (like turn a doorknob!), nor would I want to, since the grease would transfer EVERYWHERE (walls, light switches, furniture) and if you put it on your feet, you'd better cover those feet with a pair of socks or you'll be "slip-sliding away" (maybe that's how Paul Simon got the idea for the song!). The tin looks so nice and old-fashioned but getting the product out can be a bit icky unless you use a spatula or similar tool, otherwise, you pretty much have to dig in and then you get the balm under your nails.

This is a pretty low-tech product but like may of the products from way back (Nivea, Vaseline, olive oil, etc.) it is still surprisingly effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:38:00 PM More reviews by Athena2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Fourteen years ago, a friend of mine suggested I use Bag Balm on my infant son's diaper rash. I tried it and I was immediately converted. His skin cleared up in a day, and it was very easy to wipe away as well. I started using it on my extremely chapped lips and hands (I live in Nevada), and they were almost back to normal within a day. It works wonders on any sort of dry, red, chafed, or irritated skin. It is the most soothing product I have ever put on my skin. It doesn't sting at all, and it takes away soreness and pain immediately. I have converted many people to this stuff over the years. It's almost too good to be true.

The downside: it comes in a huge green jar and you have to dip your fingers into it. Also, it can be somewhat messy; it has the texture of Vaseline, and the scent is a bit medicinal. However, this stuff is so cheap that you can just toss the jar every once in a while and get a new one. It would take me years to use up a whole jar. Recently, I have starting using a clean utensil to spoon it into a small jar, and now I don't worry as much about contamination. I never leave the house without it. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

Your dry, cracked and raw lips best friend! Slather on at bedtime and you will wake up to significantly improved lips. I love this stuff!

You can use it anywhere that is dry. It is my BFF in winter.

Has a medicinal smell, but I rather like it. It reminds me of the salve my grandma used to make. Very good stuff.

Only real complaint is it sorts of "melts" and looks bubbly and the lid can get gross on the sides. I just wiped down the lid and scooped off top layer.....good as new and works just the same. :)

Simple product, simple packaging and worth checking out. Will last for a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2013 2:05:00 PM More reviews by stimwink1

I orignally got this for my Shibas when they went outside in the snow/ice. I usually use the Mush wax but when they come in I'll rub this into their paws. They actually will sit and let me do it. Yeah they lick some off but it's not going to hurt them.

Then I discovered this stuff is awesome on dry winter feet. My feet are in work boots and socks most of the day and it leaves my feet tired cracked and sore. Put this on at night right before bed and put socks on by morning my feet are baby soft..

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by JordanGalore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bag balm is amazing. It absorbs quicker than Vaseline and it keeps moisture in longer. The smell is medicinal but I don't mind it because of the great improvements I've seen with my skin. The tub it comes in is huge and it will last for a very long time. I've used it for my cuticles, dry patches etc and it works wonderfully. I recommend it to everyone I know and no one has been disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by thevnilly

Similar to Vaseline or Aquaphor, but I find it to be less thick. Seems to absorb better than the others and feels nice on dry skin. I like it best for my lips, hands, and feet. I've been going through a peely, irritated nose situation after allergies and while it didn't sting the peeling areas, it did tingle a little bit underneath my nose. I have a tendency to develop little bumps there when my skin is irritated from a cold/allergies, and after applying Bag Balm to the area a few more popped up. So I'm guessing that area was just too sensitive to tolerate much, at the moment.
One of my kitties has a few scabby places from over-grooming and I'm hoping it's soothing for her and helps to heal the marks up with continued application.
It does smell very clinical - like a doctor's office to me. But, my husband likes the smell. I purchased a large 10oz. tub from Walgreen's for $10, and I imagine it'll last quite awhile. My only real gripe is that the tin can be difficult to open sometimes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 4:35:00 AM More reviews by haynmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff but don't like the smell. My kids said it smelled like a hospital. I think it smells like straight up Vaseline. I bought it for about $10 & I dig the tin it comes in. I've dropped it multiple times & it stays shut. I used this stuff for radiation burns I got doing radiation therapy for thyroid cancer. I got bad bad burns on the front of my neck & anyways, I slathered this stuff on & it made it heal faster than anything else I tried. Now that that's over, I'm using it for dry feet & under my eyes & on my eyelids. Super cool salve!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by Andrea428

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just want to say that I have very sensitive skin and this ointment was a lifesaver for me. There was a time when I made the horrible mistake of putting nair under my arms and it gave me extremely painful chemical burns. I tried aloe vera and other creams but they burned my skin so bad and made it worse. It was so painful I could barely raise my arms but on a whim I tried using bag balm. The bag balm completely numbed the pain. Let me tell you, if you have any kind of burn, try out bag balm because water based products like aloe ended up making my burn sting so much more. Judging by the reviews, it looks like bag balm has multiple uses so I highly reccomend this product to everyone!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Uugh. I cannot believe I am writing this. All the older nurses I worked with would reply to what felt like every statement 'I just put Bag Balm on it'. After trying to resist for years, I started putting Bag Balm on cuticles, some mild eczema and even on a wart that would not go away. The wart is what really surprised me. It had been on the tip of my finger for a year and within a week of trimming and treating with the bag balm it started to heal. I didn't see any new growth. My only complaint is the smell! I hate the stench emitting from my hands or feet when I put this on. I try to limit to night, and if I can use something else, like Burts Bees Cuticle Balm, I will.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2013 1:35:00 PM More reviews by imadesphousewife

My mother in law turned me onto Bag Balm YEARS ago and I've been using it ever since. I've used it for my nasty dry feet, my kids' diaper rash and excema, dry lips...you name it, this stuff will help for it.

I also love the packaging. The tin lasts forever and has a vintage-y look to it. All around an amazing HG that I am never without!!