Paula's Choice sheer cream lipstick SPF 15

3.9

Not tested on animals

on 6/12/2013 9:27:00 AM

Both Rosy Glow (a medium-toned cool pink) and Nude Illusion (an almost neutral, slightly warm, medium-toned nude) are beautiful shades on their own, but I prefer them slightly paler so here is how I use them: Before I go on long motorcycle rides, I like to protect my lips from the sun otherwise they burn. I used to apply Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock Stick SPF 60+, which whitens my lips, with a medium tone pink or nude on top to get some color back on my lips. The white of the sunblock stick plus the medium tone of the lipstick gave me that lighter color I prefer, but I didn't like diluting the sunblock, so I ordered two of Paula's Choice Sheer Cream Lipsticks with SPF 15. Now I apply Rosy Glow or Nude Illusion, then tone them down with the baby sunblock stick, and finish by contouring with my Lise Watier's Waterproof Lip Crayon in Soft Pink or in Nude depending on the Paula's lipstick I choose. I hope I'm doing this the right way sun-protection wise. Maybe I should put the baby stick on first, then Paula's lipstick? I don't know. But the way I do it looks great and it works. Sun protection and gorgeous color. And I love the slim packaging which doesn't make the pocket of my slim fitting leather jacket bulge. -- For reference, I have blue eyes and pale pink lips. --

on 2/6/2013 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

5 lippies for formula but not colour selection. Luckily she sells them in sample sizes so you can try out the shades before commiting to the full size. I bought two of the invisible shade (one for back up since she discontinued my old favorite lip balm) rosey glow and nude illusion. I'm only in my 20s but I think rosey glow makes me look a lot older. It's a reddish purpley colour on me kinda like a berry. Nude illusion is more of an every day lip colour. Nude w a touch of orange. I wear invisible daily for sun protection. Another pro is that these lipsticks are very pigmented but the colour choices are not very flattering colours.

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I got a sample of In the Nude and just decided to purchase the full size lipstick. I think it's relatively more sheer than most lipsticks I've tried, but it's also not exactly a gloss either--it's somewhere in between "sheer" and "matte" in its finish. This is a nice, moisturizing lip color that is very flattering for my complexion and good for every day--definitely worth checking out with the sample size.

on 11/29/2009 10:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Received this in Tropical Ice and Passionfruit. Both colors are not sheer - they are highly pigmented and matte. The Tropical Ice is not too drying, but nothing spectacular formula-wise. It's a reasonably wearable peach color. The Passionfruit is oddly grainy - like an exfoliating lipstick. I am not sure if this is a result of a production issue with this particular batch or if the Passionfruit is supposed to be grainy. Usually, you see much more consistency of formula between colors. The Passionfruit works as a neutral red stain. Definitely want balm with this one.

on 9/15/2008 2:06:00 AM

I have this in a"Sample" of Nude Illusion (By the way, the sampling packaging is a total nightmare, which is a disappointment in of itself, considering this woman is considered to be a "Cosmetics Cop"-how ironic). Anyway, this lipstick just didn't do anything for me. The texture pulled and dragged, and it just had too much pigment to be a 'true' sheer. In addition, it was too orangey-brown for me, and not what I would have considered to be a nude. As a final let-down, while this was fragrance-free with SPF, it was SO drying as to be ridiculous. Am I glad I only shelled out for a sample-thanks, but no thanks!.

on 9/11/2008 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have this in tropical ice, and it's a beautiful color. The texture of the lipstick is okay, but used with a gloss it feels nice. It lasts a decent amount of time, but only if don't drink or eat anything. It's also not very sheer, but that's not really a bad thing.

on 4/5/2008 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Got several samples of this (Lilac Kiss plus a mauve and a nude-beigish color).

The Lilac Kiss is a very cool shade that looks lighter on than in the tube -- in fact it was lighter than my moderately pigmented lip tone. It would probably be very pretty on blonds with cool coloring. I'm brunette with cool, pale skin and it worked for me too. Unlike almost every other lip products Paula makes, it has no shimmer.

When first applied it, it feels and looks good. But after about a half hour, my lips feel really dry -- it actually seems to suck the moisture out of them somehow, as if it were astringent.

(My HG lip product: Bobbi Brown tinted lip balm, the first lip product I've rated 5 stars and the only thing I use now despite a price much higher than I ever thought I'd pay for a tiny tube of goop.)

The other two colors I tried have Paula's lipcolor failing, SHIMMER, as do most of the other colors in this line. Shimmer looks so awful unless one has perfectly smooth lips with no lines or peeling -- it's really just for teens and very young woman who don't have any chapping or peeling.

Given that people well beyond their teens are probably most of Paula's customer base, I'm puzzled why she puts shimmer in almost every lip product she makes! Even for those without any creasing or peeling, shimmer is very unnatural-looking. It screams MAKE-UP, which is fine at times, I suppose, but not what I'd guess most people want to wear most fo the time.

on 3/18/2008 3:21:00 PM

I have this in tropical ice, sherbet, and nude illusion and love them all. They are glossy, vibrant, and sheer. They don't last forever, which is fine, because they also don't dry my lips out! I have tried this in shy pink, which is lovely but a bit pale for me, rosy glow, which is a vibrant pink, and passionfruit, which is a juicy fruity color. I love how these wear and look. And they come in sleek black slim cases, very elegant.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I got samples of this in Cherry Berry and Passionfruit. First off, I love the texture! So creamy and the perfect blend between sheer and opaque. The colors were very nice, too. Cherry Berry is a MLBB shade for me (I have pigmented lips, though--this is NOT a neutral) a kind of browned-down berry. Passionfruit is a sheer RED red. Probably not for everyone, but I like it. These also stay reasonably well for a sheer. Kudos, Paula!

on 8/25/2007 2:10:00 PM

This is not sheer at all. It feels like normal lipstick. So far none of the colors I have tried are appropriate for me. I'd like a nice medium cool based pink or mauve color. Most of her colors (even the pinks) are too coral or orange for me and too dark as well. And I don't mind shimmer, but these colors are frosted (think 80's). What happened to Paula liking matte formulations? Unfortunately this is her only lip color with SPF, so I may try a different color.

Popular Lipsticks