Alberto Vo5 Extra Body Shampoo

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

What I love: good lather, understated fragrance, good consistency, easy to find in most dollar stores.
I returned this to my rotation because I'm absolutely done with Suave--unless they do a serious overhaul--but wanted a cheap deep cleaning. I think this might be the best store shampoo ever. Their normal one is nice too.
Yes, it can make your hair a little dry but I have their leave-in hair oil and Simply Stunning. Those help. BUT my sensitive skin doesn't react which is a blessing.
I have wavy, fine but abundant hair that I enjoy coloring. It seems to love VO5, particularly this shampoo. I'm picky about my hair products so I'm shocked to be so happy with such a cheap cleanser.
Definitely repurchasing!
What I don't like: the cap isn't very tight and many times the bottles aren't filled.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This shampoo (with sulfates) has a relatively short ingredient list, good for those of us with sensitive scalps.

My hair is short, curly, dry, and color-treated. My scalp is dry and sensitive. I wash my hair once or twice a week and let it air dry.
This volumizing shampoo adds a significant amount of shine and body to my hair.

My scalp is sensitive to detergents, so I mix this shampoo half and half with distilled water. The result is sufficiently cleansing but easier on my scalp.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok so I tried all brands of everything. Sulfate free shampoos are not for me. My scalp needs to be clean every single day and I fear no sulfates can cause hair loss. Oil on scalp cannot stay for too long without the risk of clogging pores which can result in hair loss. I have used this before, but its drying. That much I will admit. But I'd rather that and add conditioner on my ends than to lose hair. And for all you boomers out there it smells like the old Agree. Love it.

I bought this from a local dollar store. I used it when I was younger, but never cared about what shampoo I used, being young and not caring. I recently bought it, because of the price if I'm going to be completely honest. I'm a college student with low funds. Anyway, the first time I used it, it made my hair feel very stringy, dry and VERY heavy. I thought it was just because I was used to using another shampoo on a regular basis. The next time I tried it, it did the same thing. I'm going to try it with conditioner next time. If this weird feeling continues, I will not use/buy the product again. The smell isn't great either, which is a big deal for my shampoo decisions.

I can't beat this as far as a volumizing or clarifying shampoo for the price ($.89). The packaging isn't gorgeous. but it works as well as more expensive varieties on my fine-textured and straight hair. The scent is mild, inoffensive and, also, unisex in my opinion (my boyfriend also likes this one).

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Edit: has made my hair limp after subsequent use. It does make it silky, but to the point where it has no grip or body. This has happened w/ other Vo5 shampoos as well. I think a lot of them have added proteins (silk, collagen, etc).

Article on protein and how it works on hair;

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Ammonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Thiamine HCl, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum), Blue 1(CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035).

---
Pretty good so far. Adds some volume (no cones here) and doesn't over strip. Smells of weak cologne, but that goes away.

I got this for $3 at drugstore.com, under a buck elsewhere.

Well, as some of you know, the internet hoaxes of Vo5 causing illnesses and all that bad kinda stuff. 95 percent of Shampoos has Sulfates and other Chemicals, its not bad if its been around for years otherwise millions of people would sue...Now, my thought about Vo5 extra body. This Shampoo and Conditioner is by far one of the best! I have very curly hair and this formula adapts well to my locks! I do love the other VO5 scents as well. The Shampoo cleans very well without stripping, it does leave a silky feel when rinsing out..the conditioner is awesome! I feel like it melts into each strand. My curls look unbelievable using vo5. I always repurchase, cant beat the price! Recently bought 20 for 20$$$

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Very clarifying shampoo - really gets everything out for me. My scalp had some itchiness and it seemed to relieve that too, and that I really like. Not too sure about the 'extra body' claim, but i guess since it cleans out my hair, it gets more weightless --> more body?
My hair - specifically the roots - are on the oily side, so this is a good shampoo for me. But it is really cleaning, as in my ends get very tangly and dry feeling after washing. I wouldn't want to try this without conditioner. I pair this with Herbal Essences Hydralicious De damage boost conditioner for clean roots and moisturized ends, great combo

The scent is okay for me, not something I really love though. The best part about this shampoo is the itchiness relieving factor (i guess my hair gets itchier when it's built up with oil/dirt/whatevers). The worst part is the overdrying, but I guess it's normal. Wouldn't recommend for dryer hair though. Would personally repurchase, or try the Kiwi Lime Squeeze next. Or both, the price is great!!

I've been using this extra body shampoo for more than 10 years and I loved how it adds volume to my hair while leaving my hair clean and soft to touch. Each strand of my hair glowed with my natural highlights. But now I can't say that anymore. The formulation has changed. Now it makes my hair heavy, flat on the crown of my head, stiff, and matted together. It makes me feel like I want to wash my hair all over again -- but with a different shampoo. It does completely the opposite of volumizing! I wish they'd bring back their old formula.

i was extremely wary before I tried this because I hated the Extra Body conditioner. I was pleasantly surprised. I came to love this shampoo. It gave my hair just a bit of bounce and noticeable body. It didn't ever weigh it down. It smelled fresh and clean. And here's the kicker - it even managed to cut through and the dirt, grime and sweat that my hair goes went through on a daily basis while I was using this. Sold!