Alberto Vo5 Extra Body Shampoo

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/29/2015 5:03:00 AM

Edit: has made my hair limp after subsequent use. It does make it silky, but to the point where it has no grip or body. This has happened w/ other Vo5 shampoos as well. I think a lot of them have added proteins (silk, collagen, etc).

Article on protein and how it works on hair;

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Chloride, Ammonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Tocopheryl Acetate, Biotin, Thiamine HCl, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Citric Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (Parfum), Blue 1(CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035).

---
Pretty good so far. Adds some volume (no cones here) and doesn't over strip. Smells of weak cologne, but that goes away.

I got this for $3 at drugstore.com, under a buck elsewhere.

on 12/25/2014 10:56:00 AM

Well, as some of you know, the internet hoaxes of Vo5 causing illnesses and all that bad kinda stuff. 95 percent of Shampoos has Sulfates and other Chemicals, its not bad if its been around for years otherwise millions of people would sue...Now, my thought about Vo5 extra body. This Shampoo and Conditioner is by far one of the best! I have very curly hair and this formula adapts well to my locks! I do love the other VO5 scents as well. The Shampoo cleans very well without stripping, it does leave a silky feel when rinsing out..the conditioner is awesome! I feel like it melts into each strand. My curls look unbelievable using vo5. I always repurchase, cant beat the price! Recently bought 20 for 20$$$

on 12/7/2014 4:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Very clarifying shampoo - really gets everything out for me. My scalp had some itchiness and it seemed to relieve that too, and that I really like. Not too sure about the 'extra body' claim, but i guess since it cleans out my hair, it gets more weightless --> more body?
My hair - specifically the roots - are on the oily side, so this is a good shampoo for me. But it is really cleaning, as in my ends get very tangly and dry feeling after washing. I wouldn't want to try this without conditioner. I pair this with Herbal Essences Hydralicious De damage boost conditioner for clean roots and moisturized ends, great combo

The scent is okay for me, not something I really love though. The best part about this shampoo is the itchiness relieving factor (i guess my hair gets itchier when it's built up with oil/dirt/whatevers). The worst part is the overdrying, but I guess it's normal. Wouldn't recommend for dryer hair though. Would personally repurchase, or try the Kiwi Lime Squeeze next. Or both, the price is great!!

on 8/7/2014 6:53:00 PM

I've been using this extra body shampoo for more than 10 years and I loved how it adds volume to my hair while leaving my hair clean and soft to touch. Each strand of my hair glowed with my natural highlights. But now I can't say that anymore. The formulation has changed. Now it makes my hair heavy, flat on the crown of my head, stiff, and matted together. It makes me feel like I want to wash my hair all over again -- but with a different shampoo. It does completely the opposite of volumizing! I wish they'd bring back their old formula.

on 9/13/2012 4:51:00 PM

i was extremely wary before I tried this because I hated the Extra Body conditioner. I was pleasantly surprised. I came to love this shampoo. It gave my hair just a bit of bounce and noticeable body. It didn't ever weigh it down. It smelled fresh and clean. And here's the kicker - it even managed to cut through and the dirt, grime and sweat that my hair goes went through on a daily basis while I was using this. Sold!

on 9/6/2012 10:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

For the first month I used this shampoo, I didn't like it because I thought it was causing my hair to tangle. I stopped using it and was using a different shampoo for awhile, but returned to this one when I ran out of the other. It doesn't tangle my hair anymore so I actually love it and plan to repurchase it. I use it 3-4 times a week and then VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze clarifying shampoo once a week.

on 4/1/2012 12:05:00 AM

I'm singing BABY COME BACK, YOU CAN BLAME IT ALL ON ME with this product.
Seriously.
We use to use this one for years in my house because it was a bargain. Finally, my hairdresser mom decided that I was old enough to experiment with whatever shampoo and styling products I wanted. So I have tried everything (she says they are all the same in the end for your hair, anyways.)
Pantene, Herbal essences, Chi, Garnier, and top salon brands.
Nope. I like this one.
I used Pantene last THIS MORNING. and its wrecking my hair but the bottle needs to finished. I had to shower again because I got all gross before work and found this in the back of the closet.
Oh, how I have missed you, dear VO5.
My hair for the past year has been gross and lifeless, and I dont think I even realized. I used this this afternoon, and blow dried my hair afterwords and BAM big hair returned.
So, its cheap, does what it says, and makes my hair feel soft again after using pantene THE SAME DAY?
sign me up, please.

on 3/2/2012 10:40:00 AM

I couldn't believe the bargain on this shampoo. My husband used to use it, and I used to think, well, he's a guy and has short hair and doesn't want to spend lots of money, but it wouldn't work for me. Not so! I recently bought some because I noticed he was running out of his Suave shampoo and conditioner, and then I tried the Alberto myself for the first time in years. I love it! I know, it's got SLS... but it smells a lot like the shampoo I used to use as a teen. And it does a very nice job of cleansing without stripping! I don't know how it would be if I used it every day - and I have to use up my expensive SLS-free shampoo so I'll probably only use the Vo5 occasionally.
Question: Has anyone else noticed that it's a little more watery than it used to be years ago??

on 7/30/2011 6:26:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

$.69 and it's probably one of the best shampoos I've ever used. My hair feels light and clean without feeling too dry/stripped of oils. It's SO soft! I bought the Passion Fruit Smoothie one and even after I applied heat protector and dried/straightened my hair, I am still getting wafts of the incredible scent (I also used the matching conditioner...left it on for 5 minutes and rinsed. A very nice, light conditioner!). My hair feels and smells amazing and will be repurchasing and trying other scents, too.

on 4/20/2011 9:35:00 AM

Have loved this for years. Not an amazingly smelling shampoo but for 90 cents I won't complain! It effectively cleans my hair and it has body and bounce after. <3 this cheapy

Popular Shampoos