April 18, 2014 | 1787 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Drole de Rose

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I can’t believe I enjoy Drole de Rose by LAP, but I do. The note line-up really isn’t my cup of tea, but I’m finding it delicate and charming.

1) Violets (Green grass and wet cement).
2) Iris (Powder and more powder!).
3) Rose (Soapy and candied?)
4) Honeyed baby skin.

Drole de Rose treads the line between clean innocence and red lipstick temptress. This makes me think of rainy day tea time with almond cookies and lace napkins followed by a little afternoon delight.

Projection: Stays close to skin.
Longevity: Could be better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 1:15:00 PM More reviews by alba75

After testing multiple times, I found "Drole de Rose" sour and soapy. It is not pleasant light powdery. It is more sweaty sour. I think it is leather and iris notes do not mix well on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by rosbergs3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you have it in your mind that Drole de Rose is going to smell like a makeup bag or very high-end type of makeup. Then that is exactly what it will smell like. I like to imagine Drole de Rose smells like an extremely upper-crust lady from high society going out for a night on the town. She is carrying one of those diamond, ruby, emerald embollished clutch bags made by Judith Leiber. Inside this silk and satin lined purse is an expensive lipstick, creamey foundation and shimmering face powders. Or, if you smell this fragrance thinking of leather it will smell like that too. Not a rough leather is in a biker jacket but a soft leather/suede scent a ludicrously paid actress might wear. Actually, the more i wear Drole de Rose i detect more of a leather scent than makeup. The longer it dries down the stronger and rougher (almost but not quite like afore mentioned biker jacket) the leather scent gets and it reminds me more and more of a scent men can wear.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2012 8:25:00 AM More reviews by cocorocha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

well, how can something with this ''set-list'' be bad?
the answer is- it can't:))
amazing and beautiful ultrafeminine powdery ''lipsticky'' rose and violets...very unusual scent, that starts off with a green rose poleny stems, keeping the rose very alive (this is a hibiscus kind of rose, not Briar, or damascena)...Drole de Rose isn't natural, it is synthetic, over the top, sweet and youthfull...but only the first half an hour...later it gets creamy, powdery,resembling very much YSL's Paris, yet trying to hold on to the freshly cut violet theme and some flowery sugar, which makes this combo a serious romance inducer...
no vanilla in here folks...and that's the most beautiful part od this...it could easily be caracterized as a whole another olphactory dimension -like Malle's L.Rose...''out of this world different'' rose scent!!I would say that this is candied violets and rose mixed up in a fantastically waxy and heavy parfumed Chanel or Guerlain lipstick...
sweet smell of expensive cosmetics,flirty, gentle and unique by all means..

sillage isn't heavy, on my skin it lasts not over 5 hrs....

worth having in a collection;)))

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2011 5:21:00 AM More reviews by greenclover

Meh. This is kind of pretty. I am wholly unimpressed with l'artisan fragrances overall and this is no exception. I was expecting a powdery soft rose fragrance. Well the rose is barely discernable. I get more violet than rose - it'd be better off being called drole de violet - but violet doesn't dominate in any way either. Powder dominates. They should've called it drole de poudre. It is smells like a random floral talcum powder. The powder is a bit strident - not so soft. It is a little too old fashioned to me - yes it does smell like something that might belong on an elderly woman's dressing table. A previous reviewer said it reminded her of Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette - yes I liked the movie too (for production value - not the dialogue! :p - but to me Paris by Yves Saint Laurent is a better frag. to represent the film - Paris is fluffier and more youthful.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2011 3:00:00 PM More reviews by HelenVanPattersonPatton

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Though there have been many, many wonderful rose releases over the past few years--most of which have gained love from this once non-rose gal (Lyric, Mille et Une, Ta'if, Coup de Foudre, the JHAG line, and so on and so forth)--if I were pressed I would claim this as my favorite rose. Yes, it is comparable to Lipstick Rose but each has its own unique quality, and they are quite different when compared wrist to wrist. DdR has more depth and is less witty, I suppose. Typically when any line goes up against a Frederic Malle or a Serge Lutens in the same note category I tend to choose either of those two. However, the consistent beauty and depth of Drôle de Rose along with its perfectly poised, thoroughly modern classic feel have made it my ultimate favorite. It isn't one I reach for everyday, but when it works it really works. One of the reasons I am a Giacobetti fan. Notes: rose, aniseed, orange blossom, white iris, violet, almond, honey, rose powder, leather

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2011 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Labello

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I first smelled this when I was given a sample of it at the L'Artisan shop. I was a bit surprised at first. It was a very unusual scent. Nothing like I sniffed before. It grew on me and I used a whole sample and really liked it.

Recently I had a look at the online L'Artisan boutique and remembering the sample I bought the 50 ml bottle for 25£ on sale, so a very good deal. I really like it. Today is quite a warm day and I thought for summer this might be too powdery and cloying, but it's not. It is lovely and soft. A mix of soft rose and violet. I think it will work even better in winter when the rose gets warmed up under winter clothes :) ! Love this fragrance, even though I think it is a 'love it or hate' it scent. I love unusual things so it is for me!

some of my faves include: L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons, Ananas Fizz, Mimosa pour Moi, Hermes Jardin Mediterranee, Byredo Bal d'Afrique

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2011 5:16:00 AM More reviews by atsitl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love roses; and I equally love violets. You can see that I was immediately captivated by Drole De Rose! And after I read its description in L'Artisan webpage (a little daughter watching her mother putting on her make up, getting ready for a night out) I was determined to buy it. Then, suddenly I came across Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle, a perfume that shares the same concept, smelling like good quality cosmetics, I faced a terrible dilemma... Literally, the two fragrances were fighting to win the battle of my ultimate choice... At some point, I thought that I would buy lipstick rose, as it lasted longer on my skin; felt relieved after resolving. But upon decision, I started an aversion towards the LR fragrance (and maybe unfairly), because its actual sweetness and lusciousness upset my stomach, suffocated me, rendering it synthetic... I returned to my initial love for the Drole De Rose! It's much more natural, and although not extremely long lasting, it's adorable! And it was the first that encapsulated the concept of smelling expensive lipstick and face powder! It is going to be my birthday gift to myself!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/14/2010 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Merteuil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a warm, soft, musky red rose floating in a bowl of cream. There's a subtle cedarwood tang, at least for the initial half hour. Drôle de Rose always reminds me of luxurious makeup from times past -- scented lipstick, old-fashioned rouge, and silky face powder. As with all of the L'Artisans I've tried, the scent story remains fairly consistent throughout the day -- but crisper in the bottle and on initial application to the skin.

Hm! I just read the scent description on the L'Artisan site. I'm not crazy with the makeup scent memory: "Embodying the perfumer's memory of her mother kissing her goodnight before going out for the evening, this is the smell of expensive face powders and lipsticks."

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2010 10:58:00 AM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pretty, happy little rose mixed with a baby lotion type accord which makes it wearable for me. I'm a rose hater and this is the only one I've EVER liked. Whimsical and feminine and upbeat. Not cloying at all. Like most L'artisan perfumes, it has poor staying power.