October 21, 2014 | 1997 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Curl Shaping Spray Gel

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 6:54:00 PM More reviews by meredithann0714

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have medium length hair that I've decided to wear scrunched or wavy, instead of blowing it out straight and having it frizz up underneath as soon as I'd go outside in the Florida summer humidity. So, I have been on the hunt for products that are going to encourage the curl in my hair (dried with a diffuser set on high heat, low speed) AND eliminate the frizz. So, a couple of tips if you're looking to do the same: first, use Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier cream as a detangler out of the shower...only half a pump, this stuff is potent...then, I wrap my hair in a turbie twist towel and put on my makeup. After that, I take the tubie twist off and twist sections of my hair around my fingers all over my head - so I look like I have wet dreadlocks when I'm done. Then I let my hair air dry for about 10 minutes. Then, I use the diffuser and gently dry the "dreads" until my hair is about 60% dry. Shut the dryer off and spray on this gel fairly generously throughout my hair. Start drying with diffuser again, moving the fingers of the diffuser back and forth around roots for volume. The gel really helps define and pump up the waves/curls, and definitely helps with frizz. I've really been happy with this combo.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2014 12:06:00 PM More reviews by meighan1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this stuff is great but use it on wet hair. I used to have pin straight hair and all of a sudden it went wavy, ty God for this stuff I can actually deal w my new wavy hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2014 6:26:00 AM More reviews by frippery

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

this stuff is tricky to get right. my hair is course, medium thick, slightly past my shoulders. it is wavy and can be coaxed into spirel-y curls (air or blow dried) with the right product.

i tried about a small handful of this product on damp hair, scrunched while drying and the end result was stiff, crispy, sticky, simultaneously greasy and dry looking. using this method made my curls uneven and poodle-like. after the stickiness "wore off" my hair felt gross. i couldn't wait to wash it out.

the second time, i tried a little less (6 pumps) on soaking wet hair then air dried and got pretty good frizz control and some nice waves, but it straightened the top of my hair quite a bit.

the third try got the best results- i tried 6 pea size amounts on soaking wet hair (divided into 3 sections), then scrunched and blew dry with diffuser. the result was soft, glossy, separate curls. this product does not seem to add a lot of hold and my hair was still frizzy on the drier, top portions, but turned out pretty well considering it was humid and raining outside. i also used a sls free shampoo (desert essence coconut), so i'm not sure if that made a difference.

i was pleased that the scent was not overwhelming and normally i hate scented products. the pump is for shite- they should just package this in a tube. giving this 3 stars for shine and decent frizz control.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by astraltraveler

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

HG! This works great on my 3a thick hair! I'm a guy and my hair is about 5 inches long, give or take. Can't live without it! I spray it in my hand and apply it by sections. I usually add a drop of Hobacare jojoba oil to each section. When it dries I just scrunch with my hands go. Very low maintenance guy here.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 11:48:00 PM More reviews by crystal105

This product did not work for me. I have medium hair that's wavy. It isn't super thick, and it isn't curly, so I don't know if that's the problem, but it doesn't do anything. It doesn't leave my hair feeling too gunky or crusty, but it doesn't enhance my waves at all. I've tried using it all different ways (spraying it in directly, putting in my hands, scrunching, diffusing, mixing it with other products, using it on wet and dry hair) nothing works for me. On the bright side, it smells great. I would not buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by peacefulheart

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have used this for several years now & it is the best styling product for naturally curly hair that Garnier makes, in my opinion. I get compliments every week on my hair. I will be 59 in Oct. & this product is a must for me! I will say that Ouidad Climate Control is a better product, but more $. Both have the one ingredient that my hair can't be without & that is hydrogenated castor oil. It is essential. And also, castor oil, is a hair strengthener. I do use L'Oreal Everstyle Curl Activating mousse with it. (which also contains the castor oil) I always allow my hair to air dry. Have not used any heat or dye for several years now. I do spray this product into the palm of my hand & work it through, after I apply the mousse. Works for me! For reference, I have below the shoulder length hair.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2013 1:37:00 AM More reviews by juicyyycouture

I have very fine and straight hair and I use this whenever I curl it.
First of all, the spray nozzle is very complicated.. it just shoots out a very "choppy" stream of thick gel. And it's just like any other hair gel too..so.. not impressive.
Makes my hair feel crispy and hard to maintain.

Not a fan.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2013 1:25:00 PM More reviews by AnnaBanana84

Bought this for my daughter who has naturally curly hair. Needed something to define the curls and make her hair look more polished. A little disappointed in this. The spray gel is extremely thick and runny/gooey. Not really a awesome product to use on dry hair but works okay on wet hair just out of the shower. Also tends to matte up in hair making it VERY difficult to brush through after the day is over. Smell not very pleasant. Won't re-buy and will continue our search for a better product.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by dinoRAWRSyou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I hate to leave a mediocre review but this product didn't really do anything for me. I have very thick, fine, slightly wavy hair and wanted something lightweight to bring out my hair's texture. This didn't do a whole lot for me; I applied it damp as recommended on the bottle and then twisted it around my fingers and air-dried it overnight. When I woke up the next morning, I had some definition but not much, and it all fell out as the day went along. When I used the spray gel dry to "refresh" my curls as recommended on the packaging, it left my hair feeling a little waxy/crispy and looking dull, but it did make it a little wavier; however, that went away soon after.

Overall, I'd say go for this if you have hair that is already naturally pretty wavy and lightweight, but stay away if your hair is only slightly textured or very heavy as you will encounter build-up trying to use enough product to keep your waves/curls.

One big plus is the packaging; though the gel seems a *little* too thick to come out cleanly as a spray, the packaging feels sturdy and well-put together. The pump works well and it's very easy to see how much product you have left since the bottle is clear.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2012 7:41:00 AM More reviews by 1017

This gel is way too thick for this spray nozzle. The whole reason I prefer spray gels is for the light distribution. This just shoots out blobs of gel that you still have to mix in yourself. You are better off just spraying it in your hands and applying that way. It has the typical Garnier smell. And like most of their products it starts to feel waxy on your hair after a while. It did NOTHING for my fine wavy/curly hair.