Nature's Gate Herbal Hair Shampoo

Not tested on animals

Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (Coconut Derived), Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine Coconut Derived), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (Coconut Derived), Glycerin (Vegetable Derived), Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Leaf Extract, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Sesquicaprylate (Coconut and Corn Derived), Polysorbate 20, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose (Plant Derived), Sodium Hydroxide, Glyceryl Undecylenate (Vegetable Derived), Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance*

on 10/7/2015 5:33:00 PM

This is my favorite shampoo and has been for over 10 years. I've never found anything better. The smell is the very best part -- almost like nag champa. This leaves my baby fine hair silky, shiny and full. I also have really long (nearly waist-length), highlighted hair and it is gentle enough to keep even long, processed hair healthy and strong. I always buy the conditioner with it (which I also reviewed on here), so I think the two really need to be used together for best results. I have read that some reviewers experienced irritation and I think that it may be from the fragrance. The fragrance is rather strong, but the other ingredients are very gentle and natural. I'm glad I am not allergic to this...I love the fragrance so much, I wish they would make a perfume!

on 9/24/2015 12:51:00 PM

This is one of the prettiest fragranced shampoos I have ever smelled. I loved Shampure by Aveda but it was expensive and hard to find. Also, the scent had no staying power. Nature's Gate herbal shampoo smells amazing and the scent lasts and lasts. It does a fantastic job of cleansing my hair. My hair has more volume and wave after I use. I use this in conjunction with the conditioner which has the same scent. I always get compliments about how nice my hair smells when I use it.

on 3/10/2015 3:14:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product. The fact that it is sulfate free, silicone free, and full of good ingredients to nourish the scalp and hair is wonderful! I thought this was going to be a winner because it sounds gentle and effective. Unfortunately, as soon as I started washing my hair, I felt my ears flare up. I was hoping it was just in my mind, but after I rinsed and dried off my hair, my ears became completely inflamed, swollen and itchy as hell. I was hoping it would pass, but the rash spread along my hairline and then down my neck. It has been a week and I'm still itchy and I am too scared to try it again. The shampoo itself was nice enough - it had good texture (not too runny), it lathered and cleaned well, and the smell was very natural (herbal). Unfortunately I had an allergic reaction to it and I can't figure out what ingredient is causing it.

on 11/12/2014 8:09:00 PM

I really like this shampoo. For having no sulfates, it actually does lather (lots of it) & makes my hair clean & shiny. (Most "natural" shampoos I've tried do NOT get my hair clean.. Well water) I wouldn't call this an herbal smell to me it's more like.. Cinnamon baby powder. Definitely not the most natural smell- could be what's causing irritation for some. But everyone around here seems to love it... My hubs said my hair smells good & he usually doesn't notice that stuff (or doesn't comment anyway lol) and my little guy's teacher said he smells so good and asked what I use on his hair.

on 7/13/2014 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I just started using this. I have used the same two shampoo's for over 10 years, hard to believe I know lol. If something works I stick with it. I still use Giovanni's 50/50 shampoo once a week for a deep cleaning..this removes cones/build up, great shampoo. My other natural daily shampoo after all these years has changed it's! I tried two others, hated them, this was my 3rd buy, and so far I am really liking this..

It lathers very well, cleans well and my hair is super shiny using this..the smell is strong which I kinda liked until I noticed it said "fragrance" on the bottle..meaning who knows what's really in this..Will update.

10-2014 - I have used this for almost 4 months now, love it!! I mix a litle bit of Giovanni 50/50 for extra cleaning..Huge bottle too.

on 5/22/2014 5:47:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I've been on the quest for the new natural shampoo and this looked promising. Unfortunately right after I've used it for the first time my head felt really itchy and tingly, not in a good way. I think something in this shampoo I am allergic to, however usually I am not that sensitive to shampoos. I did not like the scent either it seemed a bit too strong for me. The shampoo was not lathering much (which I expected ) but it seemed to clean the hair fine and the hair seemed to be OK after it. However the itchiness it gave and the scent is a big NO NO. After feeling itchy for an 1 hour after washing the hair I went and rewashed the hair using simple Dove soap bar just to get the shampoo away and the itchiness is gone (mostly). Too bad it did not work for me, I can totally see it working for other people who is not allergic to one of the components in this shampoo. Luckily I could return it.

on 5/1/2014 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I am so jealous of everyone who loves this shampoo and conditioner set. The shampoo cleaned thoroughly and hubby and I actually really like the scent.

The love ends there though. Somehow this aggravated my scalp really intensely. If I washed my hair daily, it does not get too itchy. However, when I leave it for two days, I get the most excruciating itchy scalp I have ever experienced. It was so bad that my scalp felt raw and painful. It was the first time I was worried about scalp issues in a severe manner. So unfortunately I had to stop using this.

I guess, if I do wash my hair every single day, then I would avoid the painful scalp problems, but I don't like the consequences if I don't. I am giving it an extra lippie because it seems to work really well for everyone else.

on 3/29/2014 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Best smelling shampoo around. Bought Aveda's Shampure because people said it had a smell similar to this... No! Nothing can compare to this stuff. It's sweet, spicy, and earthy. Every time I use it I will catch a whiff of it in my hair throughout the day. I'm a picky hair girl and have just purchased my 3rd bottle.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've tried all but a couple of Nature's Gate shampoos from this line. The HERBAL one is the most gentle of all of them. It does not dry my hair out. The scent is that of incense. I do like this shampoo a lot and I have repurchased it a few times within the past 6 months. I go back to it after I try a different scent/formula.

on 2/20/2014 10:15:00 AM

this is one of my favorite 'natural' shampoos I've tried so far. Yes, the scent is a very heavy herbal one, but that's what i like about it. i've found that other natural shampoos lack the fragrance (obviously) and my hair can end up smelling a bit off by the end of the day. But with this one, my hair smells clean and herbal-ly all day.

I also have very normal hair, so the formulation of this does not make my hair frizzy, dry or unmanageable. but I can tolerate a lot when it comes to hair products.

overall - great product and have repurchased a few times already.