July 29, 2014 | 1980 users online

Polishes - OPI - Russian to a Party

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2012 10:23:00 PM More reviews by donnatd

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Found this in my stash...from long ago,
It's a PERFECT red for a festive holiday manicure.
Deep, shimmery, and sophisticated..

LOVE IT.

Amazing the things I find in my stash...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2011 3:57:00 PM More reviews by mudpie1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

OPI's Russian to a Party is a warm browned-red polish with a highly-shiny, shimmery finish. In the bottle, one would think there would be a gold element to this polish as it seems to have a gold shimmer; however, this does not translate to the nail. The gold microshimmer just seems to add a little bit of extra depth and warmth to this polish. It's a perfect fall shade of red. On my fair skin with slight yellow undertones this color is almost too brown. For reference, it's in the same color-tone family as Romeo and Joliet and Changing of the Garnet. Romeo and Joliet is very brown and Changing of the Garnet is very red. Russian to a Party sits in between both of these by being more brown than red but not actually brown (it's a "browned red"). Application was very streaky on the first coat and it actually took three coats for total evenness, bottle color, and total opacity. The finish was highly shiny and glossy even without a top-coat (but I added one anyway). Dry time was about three minutes in between coats (old formula OPI) and rock hard in 15 minutes with Seche Vite. While I like this color and it is very pretty, it's a little more brown than I would like; hence, I wouldn't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2010 6:22:00 PM More reviews by cyeung71

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Russian To A Party is shimmer red with hint of brown undertone and subtle yellow/gold shimmer. The red isn't flat at all and I will classify this as a deep wood red. It's such a pretty color for fall/winter.
The application for this color is great. I tend to find that the old OPI Polish needs at least 3 coats to give a good opaque coverage. This color is so wearable for all different types of skin tone. If you are lucky to find one, go and get it as this one been discontinued for a while.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 10:21:00 AM More reviews by Noboho

This is such a sexy red. Red polishes are tricky, well, they are for me atleast. It's the one color I have issues with in terms of finding the right shade. Some of them are so garish, or bright, or cheap looking. Russian to a Party is a dark red but I wouldn't necessarily call it deep. It does have a little bit of a gold undertone, subtle, but spices it up some. I had no problems with its consistency. It went on smoothly without streaking. There also wasn't an exorbitant drying time, which I very much appreciated. Looks stunning in the fall!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by cfmarie79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I cried when this was DC'd... I'm not kidding. This was my ONLY color for about three years, I never wore anything else. There are a string of pictures of me at parties/dinners/weddings/etc. that you can clearly see I'm Russian to a Party! The perfect neutral deep red with beautiful subtle gold flecks, really really pretty. I bought a bottle on ebay a few years back but have since lost it :( I then moved on to black for a few years, but have been thinking about repurchasing. Very sad to walk into a nail salon these days and KNOW that it's not on the rack anymore. Sigh.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am not sure if I will ever be in love with OPI products. This is a pretty colour definitely, kind of a burgundy berry with gold. It goes on nicely and wears nicely, but my nails are very soft and break or tear of easily with any OPI polish. I find that Chanel leaves my nails nice and hard, and they grow beautifully. One week with OPI and I have lost two nails and another one just bent. I guess I am just not an OPI kind of a girl.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by l0ve

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I liked this one. I actually painted my nails on my own for once to with this and they came out great. I was over my stylist house and I decided to paint my nails this color. I think I only used about 1 1/2 coats (barely needed a second coat) and my nails look really shiny. The color isn't too dark, and it is a reddish brown. I recommend this color for fall/winter. This one is a keeper.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2007 3:36:00 AM More reviews by CountessDementia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ooooh, what a beauty! I've been lemming this colour for a while now ever since reading the rave reviews Russian to a Party scored on the Nail Board and when I finally spotted it on Ebay for a decent price, I snapped it up without further thought. I think it's safe to say that there are a fair few polishes in the blackened-red category on the market these days so while I find Russian to a Party extremely sexy and elegant, it is in no way unique. The red-orange shimmer really lends an aura of glamour to this colour, safely steering it away from looking blatantly goth to something a sophisticated lady of leisure might wear to a fancy gathering among friends. This colour would look indistinguishable from Vampire State Building if not for the shimmer, and although I quite like the glitter, I feel the smooth creme finish of VSB is a lot more 'authentic'. That said, Russian to a Party is very sensuous and more than a little eye-catching, especially if you keep your nails long and tapered like I do. I've had a fair few admiring glances from people on the train while I've had this colour on and fair few more stop me in the street to ask what shade it was. The quality and application was faultless. I needed three coats for a perfectly smooth, deep, rich finish but this was achieved easily enough without the polish streaking. The wear, too, was excellent. I've had this colour on for about 5 days on with zero chipping and barely noticeable wear around the tips. I heartily recommend Russian to a Party for most skintones as it's neutral and sassy enough to suit a range of skin colours. An excellent colour for both tips and toes, Russian to a Party is a must-have if you plan to show off your toes during winter. That said, this colour is pretty difficult to find online so your best bet is to check out some dusty old salons where you might find a bottle or two. I've heard of more than a few people chancing upon this colour that way. All in all, I've really enjoyed having Russian to a Party on my nails. I'd definitely recommend but I would not repurchase, solely for the reason that I own more than a few colours of the 'vampy' type and can't really see anything truly outstanding about it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2007 8:12:00 PM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Deep and sexy and shimmery; a nice change from my usual deep reds and berries.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2007 7:16:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this in a swap ages ago but hadnt used it yet. Well I finally did use it. I was bummed a little that after2 coats it didn't look as deep burgandy as it does in the bottle so I applied a 3rd coat and it looks a bit closer to the bottle. I always loved deep vampy colors. This reminds me a little of a long disc shade (the name escapes me now something smokey mountain something) i had a bottle of that i now cannot find. I wish i could see more of the gold shimmer that you can see in the bottle as well. Since i just applied yesterday i can't say how long it'll last but i put it on over my orly bonder and under my fave jessica dazzle glistening topcoat. But i have to say i am pretty happy with the polish so far. if it chips or whatever i am sure i will update.