LUSH Retread

3.5

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Before I brought this product online, I had placed it on a pedestal high enough that it could have collided with the Hubble space telescope. I spent hours upon hours researching this white goop in a bucket, not wanting to spend $31.90 of my paper run money on fairy tales and fibs.

I will try to give you a brief background on my nasty, unruly hair that resembles a lions mane. Two years ago, during the summer holidays, I decided that my natural hair colour of mousy brown, lightened by the sun a little bit, was too plain and boring for the wild, outgoing person that I was supposed to transform into when school started, so I dyed my hair purple. Then red. Then red again. Then auburn, since I was told off at school for being a rebel with a weird hair colour. I kept it auburn for a while, before the damage I had caused became too much for me to handle, so I doused everything in dark brown. Then blonde, since I wanted my natural colour back and something in my twisted, hopeful mind told me that bleaching would help reverse time and give me a lovely honey brown. Only my roots were lightened, so I dyed it dark brown again.

Now, with the hair dye faded out and with plans to put henna in my hair, I am left with crackling, crunchy hair that is the colour of the planet Mars and the feel of sandpaper. You could make an instrument out of my hair, it's so brassy. My hair is a straw cloud, it refuses to lie flat.

With my poor bleached locks on their last legs, about a year ago I turned to low sulfate, no silicone products to wash my hair. Of course, Lush has sulfates, but I thought I'd give it a go since all their products seem to get great reviews. Needless to say, I no longer use Lush hair care and my credit card is $48.80 lighter.

I wasn't blown away by the smell of Retread, nor was I too happy with the size of the product when considering how much I paid for it. I cannot stress this enough, nor will I write a whole paragraph on it, but please go and look at the products before you buy them! I almost brought another whole heap of Lush products to try but I was either gagging in the store due to the smell or had my mouth hanging open as I saw how small it was. Be a smart spender! Get a sample!

To be truthful, the smell didn't bother me but it isn't the most pleasant thing. I can see why some people find it repulsive. After scooping out a small handful about the size of your average strawberry and working it into my hair, it felt like I had put nothing on. I left it on for fifteen minutes and rinsed it out. To people who have just come off silicone conditioners, don't be surprised when your hair doesn't feel silky and smooth when washing out the conditioner. It's normal for products that don't contain silicone!

My hair took longer than normal to dry after this. I noticed straight away that my hair, which is usually wavy and poofy, was drying into ringlet curls. This is my natural hair, and this conditioner helped to define it. Perhaps I wouldn't keep brushing them out if they didn't look split and broken, and weren't soft to the touch. My hair was sort of shiny but not smooth looking. I used this conditioner alongside Daddy-O, which is what I think gave me the faint shine since this conditioner did absolutely nothing else.

This conditioner did not help repair any of my damage. That's fair enough though, since my hair has taken a heck of a beating. I noticed that my roots were getting oily far too quickly, along with the parts of my hair that aren't as damaged. Those bits felt weighed down and heavy, although not smooth. They didn't seem very moisturised, which was strange. If I ran my finger along them, they still felt incredibly rough. Exactly the same as before. My hair was still a straw cloud, just now a more curly straw cloud.

I've been using this conditioner for about a month with no improvements. The moral of the story is that if your hair is damaged beyond compare and you think that this is some sort of miracle product that will cure everything, you're wrong! Sorry, I thought that too. Sometimes, the best cure are the scissors. I'm getting my hair cut next week. If your hair is slightly damaged or you want it to be as flat as a board, give this a go if you're willing to part with the money.

I still have back up plans for reviving my hair. Like I mentioned above, I'm getting a good few inches of it cut. I highly recommend the brand Biologika - I've used their coconut shampoo and conditioner once on my hair and I loved it, almost to the point of reconsidering my haircut. It made my curls soft and bouncy, and more defined than what Retread could muster up. Sulfate and silicone free. Very moisturising. Also, I'll be turning down the temperature in my shower so that my hair doesn't continue to be scorched, and might start plaiting it before I go to sleep, if it's long enough!

Smells gross, gave my hair a weird waxy coating and made it heavy

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was expecting great things from this conditioner but was left feeling rather disappointed...

It is rather thin for a deep conditioner and didn't detangle my curly hair as well as I was hoping. The smell is also not very pleasant.

I developed a nasty scalp rash after using this conditioner in combination with Curly Wurly shampoo. The two did make my curls look good, so I was sad about the rash.

At first my hair wasn't used to sulfate free conditioner so I thought it wasn't good because my hair didn't have that (slimy) conditioner feel but after I got out of the shower and brushed my hair I had no tangles! My hair was so glossy the next day. It's my HG product now.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

The smell is violet. If you love violet as Lush makes it you will like the scent. One of the best conditioners for curly hair. Less is more in case of this conditioner.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Another "meh..."

Using this product was better than not using any conditioner, but it does by no means perform according to expactations or price.

I had problems combing my hair after the shower due to the lack of silicone in the product...which I am willing to live with, given that the conditioner does it's job once my hair is dry. But it just didn't. No real damage done, just very mediocre. The effect ranges from kinda okay close to my scalp ending up in dry tips.

I remain very unmoved by LUSH hairproducts. I really love a lot of their makeup products though.

Meh. This product is alright. It's not terrible, but it's not the best conditioner I've used either. I have bleached hair and it makes my hair prettyyyyyy soft, but I've been using Redken Extreme Condition for a long time before I started to try Lush. I will buy Redken again after I run out of this. I also have to use a good handful of this stuff to get my hair to be in a nice condition, and at the steep price you pay for Lush products, it's not worth it to me. One thing I will say though is that the smell is divine. I love it, I love it, I love it. Everything else about it is just MEHHHHH.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

The smell is not my favorite, but despite that, it's one of the best deep conditioners I've ever used. It's replaced Joico K-Pak Reconstructor as my favorite hair mask and does a pretty good job as a regular after-shampoo conditioner. Leaves my thick, coarse, dry hair super-soft and way more manageable than normal.

If you like cantaloupe, the smell won't bug you. I'm just not a cantaloupe fan.

I'm really glad I bought this conditioner! I started using their soak and float shampoo bar (which I love) and the veganese conditioner which was recommended to me by the lady in the store. I noticed after using veganese that my hair was kinda dry. I decided to try the retread and wow, my hair is so soft I can hardly believe it. I think it smells good but I personally hate the smell of artificial fruits and flowers that you find in most commercial shampoos and conditioners. If you are used to silicone free products you might be uncomfortable with it has first. I have a wide tooth comb that stays in my shower for detangling. Such a good conditioner. Definitely won't work for everyone but is perfect for me. My roots can be oily sometimes but my ends are usually dry. I blow dry my bangs and the rest just air dries, I have naturally wavy hair.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I'm moving toward silicone free conditioners and it definitely take a lot of getting used to (no smooth slippery feeling in the shower). I really like the smell of this! And once my hair dried it looked really smooth with no fly-aways. So far so good.

Top Rated LUSH Products