NARS Schiap

4.6

on 4/3/2015 4:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Okay, this has been a staple of mine for so long, and I can't believe I've never reviewed it!
This is by far my favorite hot pink lipstick ever. I've tried so many times to dupe it so I wouldn't have to drop the major $$ to replace it when I run out, to no avail. It's just the perfect bright pink in the perfect formula.
It's matte, but not so dry that it feels uncomfortable on my always-parched lips. In fact, it is quite comfortable to wear, even for long periods of time. And it LASTS. I mean it's insane how long-lasting it is. Meals (non-greasy, of course), coffee, talking - none of these stand a chance. It's not transfer-proof, but on me, it lasts just as long as the liquid lipsticks that are all the rage. And if/when it DOES fade, it's easier to reapply than a liquid lipstick, since it won't ball up and get flaky and weird.
The color itself is perfect. It's hot pink, but it doesn't lean so blue that it makes me look like a corpse, nor is it too warm or teeth-yellowing. It's stunning and bright, giving my lips that "enter the room before I do" kind of vibe. Great for the coming warm months!
The packaging is great. It's small and compact, but houses more product than the average tube of MAC. It's quite minimalist, but boasts a sturdy cap, and the twist-up mechanism doesn't feel flimsy. The packaging isn't as cool as the Audacious line by NARS (no magnetic cap), but it serves the purpose well. The matte black finish doesn't retain fingerprints, so it doesn't look grody in your hand bag.
It's $27 on Sephora's site now (it was less when I bought it), which is a lot of money for a lipstick. But it's so beautiful, and it lasts for such a long time, that I count it as a worthy investment.

on 3/29/2015 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

What a gorgeous color! Bright pink lipsticks have been a pretty big fear of mine, but I think they look so beautiful on, that I've been equally intrigued as I have been nervous. I am pretty fair with very naturally rosy cheeks, and I have always assumed that adding a big bright pop of pink of my face would not really help the cause. Still, after reading lots of reviews, and swatching this color at Sephora about twelve times, I finally took the plunge and I'm so glad I did!

Honestly, I've yet to wear it with "full face makeup," maybe I'm still building up to that. But I've worn it multiple times with just a swipe of mascara and a little concealer. It really pulls a look together, and isn't the sort of thing that makes me feel too heavily made up to run to the store or have a lazy afternoon. I think there is just something so lovely about the bright color. I can't wait to wear this all the time in the spring/summer!

In terms of pros and cons, as always, Nars lipsticks are pricier, but I think worth the cost. It is a semi-matte formula, so while I would definitely not call it hydrating, it didn't so any serious drying out to my lips. I put on some lip balm beforehand, and am usually all set. Like most bright colors, a lipliner is probably a safe investment. I'm lazy and have a clear liner from Rimmel, and that works well enough for me. The lasting power is pretty good for Schiap, as well, and I'm glad that I don't have to constantly reapply it to keep up with the color.

All in all, a highly recommended product, and definitely something worth taking a risk on!

on 8/30/2014 12:36:00 PM

I learned about Schiap through a person I followed on Instagram. She has a tan complexion so this looked so gorgeous on her. My skin is a tad lighter than her so I thought "I'll take the plunge" and bought this color, with the fear it could be similar to Candy Yum Yum or Pink Pigeon by MAC.

When it came via shipment (I bought it on Nordstrom.com) along with Shanghai Express and once I got my hands on Schiap. Did a swatch on it, and compared it to Candy Yum Yum...

I was surprised, from afar it looked similar and while Candy Yum Yum is a Matte, I was impressed that Schiap is semi-matte so it didn't feel chalky on my lips even with moisturizer on my lips. Schiap to me seemed bold, yet at the same time was toned down just a tad bit to where I can rock it at work with a simple neutral/taupe eye look, while not looking like I'm out clubbing. Schiap didn't appear to have an undertone where Candy Yum Yum had a pinky tone and Pink Pigeon had a blue undertone. Schiap, in my opinion had a neutral tone to it where it is quite versatile.

because it is new, (I'm weird for this) I don't touch it for a good two weeks before I feel it is time to crack it open and use it. I used it as of yesterday and I am wearing it as we speak. it terms of how much to apply, believe it or not, if dabbed lightly the color is pretty demure and it comes out as this adorable flush of pink. If slathered on, it becomes the bold color as it appears on the stick.

Photos will arrive on my profile soon :)

Do I recommend this? YES :) But that is only if you enjoy bolds, deciding to take the plunge like I did, or you want to begin using bolds. But I also recommend it to anybody who wants, what I look at this lipstick as, a two in one lipstick. Where u can wear it lightly but also layer on for a bold color.

THIS IS A GREAT bold color excellent for those who have dark hair or black hair. Think of Kim Kardashian before she bleached her hair.. She looked amazing with this lipstick.
I usually mix this color with a different shade from Nars to tone it down if my hair color is not dark.. I mixed it today with Rouge Basque believe it or not. Check my youtube video to see how the final look came out. I did the entire face using only nars products.

on 7/29/2014 12:11:00 PM

This is the most glam lipstick ever! I bought both the schiap lipstick and polish...what a fabulous pair! :)

on 4/8/2014 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I went without buying this for years because I didn't need it, but the pigment of this hot fuchsia pink just does something for so many skin tones. It radiates pink and isn't too cool or warm toned. I also like that the formula doesn't move around.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I am really surprised I like this so much!! I have been picking up this lipstick up and then putting it down at Sephora for a very long time. I just seemed too blue toned for my warm complexion. I thought it would look clownish and silly...but NO!! When it mixes with the pigmentation on my lips it just creates a really beautiful, bright, yes, but not garish shade of pink. I love Nars lipsticks and I think they are a serious step above in color and formulation than MAC. I love MAC, but the Nars matte lippies just go on so smooth and stay put throughout eating and drinking. So glad I finally got it!!!

on 3/7/2014 2:22:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

A lot of people have been complimenting whenever I wear this. So I guess it really does suit my skin tone. I feel it is just like your ordinary lipstick, and it really looks just like any regular lipstick, nothing much. I also don't like how it glides on my lips it's a bit dry. But I would give it 4 lippies coz I get compliments a lot. Or maybe I'm just not a fan of pink lipsticks anymore and I see that there are far more better shades out there.

This color is beautiful! It's a little difficult to apply (because I have very light skin and not well defined lips), but it looks beautiful on! It looks great for hours, and stays on through meals. It's a perfect fuchsia!

on 9/11/2013 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

There is something awkwardly classy about this bright pink lipstick that sets it apart from others. I just think it is the perfect shade of pink - it's brilliantly vivid and opaque. It's a blue based pink lipstick, so it works well for my cool undertones. Being fair-skinned, I didn't see a bright pink lipstick in my future as most I have tried are too warm for my complexion.

I feel in serious lust with this after seeing it on the Sephora website and scoping it out on beauty blogs. It just makes me happy. For me, this is more of a 'night out' or special occasion lipstick because it's just so fun for a party! I'd recommend investing in a lipliner, just to make sure your edges don't get messy (it's such a bold colour that it will be easy to see when it smudges, as with a red lipstick). A good lipliner to try would be either Urban Decay 'Wicked', or MAC 'Magenta' Lipliner. This has semi-matte finish which I really like, as I lean more towards matte lipsticks in general. However if you aren't into matte lipsticks, it's good to note that this isn't very drying as it still retains some creamy consistency - as opposed to being a straight matte product.

Beaauuttiffullllllllll must-own shade!