Avene Ystheal+ emulsion

3.8

2014 Reformulation: Water/Aqua/Eau, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Squalane, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, 1,2 Hexanediol, BHT, Caprylyl Glycol, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Oleoyl Dipeptide-15, Oleoyl Tetrapeptide-31, Polyacrylate 13, Polyacrylate 20, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal Sorbitan Isostearate, Tocopheryl Glucoside, Triethanolamine. ORIGINAL INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Avene Aqua, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Squalane, BHT, Butylparaben, C13 14 Isoparaffin, Carbomer, Disodium EDTA, Laureth 7, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Propylparaben, Red 33 (CI 17200), Retinal, Tocopheryl Glucoside, Triethanolamine 5/20/09

on 8/2/2015 9:15:00 AM

Absolutely fantastic. I am nearly 52. I tried using retin a a few years ago and got tired of the balancing act between irritation and improvement. The melasma on my neck looked worse due to the irritation, and the age spots on my face never seemed to fade. Every now and then my skin would look firmer and have an overall clearer tone, but it was still a constant balancing act. I used to use the Neutrogena one which was excellent but then they reformulated it and it didn't seem to do a thing for my skin.

Enter Ystheal.

The only reason I bought this is my local chemist had it drastically discounted. I use it every second night and my skin looks fantastic. From the very first application my skin looked hydrated and plump with a lovely rosey glow. Now after a month my skin looks firmer, clear and the melasma and age spots are both considerably faded. My skin seems to have that lovely rosey tone that it did when I was in my 20's and early 30's. It has never caused irritation or made my broken capillaries worse. The only side effect I've had were a few small pimples. Overall, I am so pleased with this product I would happily pay full price and use it forever.

I simply use it every second night on freshly washed skin. I dry my face, spray on a little rosewater and gently smooth in two pumps of the cream. The bottle is opaque (yay protects the active ingredients) so I can't see how much is in it, but I think used this way a 30ml bottle should last 6-8 weeks. Even at full price that works out at less than $10 a week.

This is the only change I've made recently in my skincare regime.

on 3/26/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I have combo/oily skin, driest on my cheeks. No real signs of ageing but some hyper pigmentation and large pores around my nose. My skin is not even slightly sensitive. This product did not make my 'occasional' break outs any worse but it didn't make anything any better either.

I liked this product but I didn't love it and I won't repurchase. I found it too mild. I read reviews that it was a great DS retinol, but on the actual ingredients (read at home when I'd already purchased) there isn't any retinol in there at all. Not sure what that's about.

I layered well and didn't do that annoying 'ball up' thing that lots of silicone serums do. It didn't break me out, or sting or cause any problems at all. Mostly because I don't think it did anything. So while the packaging (opaque white pump which feels far more luxe than it is) is fantastic and the product is pleasant I won't be repurchasing. If you have more sensitive skin than mine this may have more impact in your routine.

on 2/23/2015 9:15:00 AM

I have not noticed any improvement in my skin's appearance while using this product. I thought this would be a stronger form of retinol than the one I was using. This contains retindehyde which is supposed to stronge than retinol. Using this nightly, I noticed no irritation or dryness. I do not like that it contains mineral oil, which I do not like to use on my face. This did nothing for my large pores, acne or fine lines and wrinkles.

on 9/8/2013 5:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Needs to be applied daily for AT LEAST 3 months, before any improvement can be seen, this is the same with all retinoids. I have used retin A for two years a long time ago for my acne prone skin, it helped but left my skin very red and fragile. I no longer suffer from acne but my skin is quite flushed and oily, this cream is much more gentle, my acne scarring has gone, my skin tone is more even and it also reduce the one lines around my eyes. I only use at night and wear 30 SPF in the winter, 50 spf in the summer as retinoids make your skin more sensitive to the suns rays. I use at night after toning and it is moisturising enough for my combination skin.

on 10/23/2012 2:49:00 PM

So I gave this a go and though it did not irritate my skin (hence the second start) it did absolutely NOTHING for me. So to spend 22 GBPounds on something that doesn't work seems very expensive to me. Needless to say I won't be buying it ever again.

on 6/7/2012 9:38:00 PM

I have used this product for 3 weeks and have not noticed any improvement in my skin.

on 5/22/2012 6:13:00 PM

I tried this product for about a year. I only applied to my forehead (I was afraid that it would break me out). I tried to use this 2x a week (max). I tried really hard to incorporate it into my skincare routine...but I just can't use this product. This stuff is EXTREMELY IRRITATING! I used a very small amount, applied 30 min after cleansing, tried to use it as a mask, applied even less than 1x per week...and it does not matter...After almost 1 year of trying...I gave up...this is just super irritating.

on 3/23/2012 10:03:00 PM

This is a great starter product for anyone looking to get into this type of skin care. I've been using it for a month now. At first my skin dried out a lot on my cheek bones, so I dropped to using it once every two days. The dryness went away after about a week or two. I now use it every night. I have definitely noticed that my skin feels nicer. It feels .. smoother. My skin seems to look a little bit nicer, but I'm not noticing a notable impact on my skin tone, and the few blemishes I get on my chin area are not showing any signs of packing up and moving out.

This product is pretty great, I haven't found many products that have actually given me noticeable results for anything at all. So while this definitely is a good product, once I'm finished it I think I'll try something else, maybe something a little stronger.

The packaging is alright, I like the pump for its convenience, but it makes me a little meh that once I'm finished there will still be some product left that I can't get to. Since you don't need a lot of it, that could be a whole week or more's worth.

I purchased it at Shoppers Drug Mart and it cost me about $45-$50 (I can't remember the exact number)

Summary: the issues I have with my skin haven't gone away, but the rest of the skin on my face feels and looks nicer.

***UPDATE***
I've been using this religiously for two months now, and still am not impressed. It didn't do anything negative, and it was definitely having SOME sort of effect on my skin judging by the periodic dryness it cause, but my chin area still looks the same, and as per my before and after pics, not much has changed. On to trying Neostrata now. Best of luck to anyone else using this! :)

on 1/17/2012 1:28:00 PM

This product is absolutely genius, almost a miracle product for me.

I've got the worst skin in the world, coming from the UK and having that deathly pale, really thin skin you only seem to get in the British Isles, where instead of being milky pale and smooth, it's blotchy and dead looking. Aside from being whiter than white, it is also really sensitive and reacts to everything, be it heat, cold, certain products...a red blotch just seems to appear, my face gets itchy, for no apparant reason. It's also quite oily and I can get some under the skin cyst like spots, but any attempts at blitzing it leaves my skin dehydrated. Having stupidly spent some summers trying (and failing) to tan, I also have a faint line across my forehead.
So hears what I wanted to do:
- Get rid of that line and prevent ageing (I'm 25)
- Even out my skin tone
- Get rid of redness

I wash my face twice a day with Avene Clearance. Before I put on my make-up and leave the house, I use a hardcore moisturizer from Dove, and I do this again, after having washed my face at night. In the evening, once the moisturizer has sunk in, I use 2 pumps of the Ystheal all over my face.

I've been following this for about 2 weeks now, and have started seeing a real difference already. No more spots, the line is starting to fade, and my skin has gone from feeling and looking really fragile, blotchy and uneven, to looking luminous and an even white.

I cannot recommend this product enough. I've finally been starting to leave the house without any powder/foundation.

on 11/22/2011 4:59:00 PM

WHAT IS IT? Anti-aging moisturizer with retinaldehyde
INGREDIENTS: Water, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Spring Water, Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil), Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Peg-100 Stearate, Squalane, Bht, Butylparaben, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Carbomer, Disodium Edta, Laureth-7, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Propylparaben, Ci 17200 (Red 33), Retinal, Tocopheryl Glucoside, Triethanolamine
HOW DOES IT PERFORM? This product's showcase ingredient is 0.05% retinaldehyde (also called "retinAL not to be confused with the more common "retinOL"), a precursor to retinoic acid which is stronger than more common retinol but not as strong as prescription-strength retinoids like Retin-A (tretinoin), Differin, or Tazorac. Retinoids in general can promote the development of skin collagen and by increasing collagen levels in the dermis can a) protect the skin from UV damage and b) eliminate fine lines. I found this product after 6 mos usage to be ineffective for my skin and I observed no changes while using it. This worked no better than a mediocre moisturizer (it is not very moisturizing but that is not the purpose of the product) and was somewhat irritating when applied in the eye area. The product is sold in airtight pump packaging which is both sturdy and appropriate for preserving the integrity of the active ingredient.
WOULD YOU BUY AGAIN? No - this did not provide any change in fine lines and did cause mild acne in some areas. Given the cost, if I wanted to continue with retinoids I can obtain Differin or Retin-A cheaply on my Rx plan here in Canada. For Americans with more expensive drug coverage or no drug coverage, this might be worth the expense.
PRICE: $45.00 CAD for 30 ml