August 22, 2014 | 1060 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Shadow

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by BettyBoop01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this eyeshadow for about a year now, and its okay...but honestly I would like to find a better eyeshadow. It's acceptable quality and that's why i continue to use it rather than go out of my way to find a new one. The color pallettes are great, as well as the shades chosen.
But the texture is what really bothers me. It has a coarse, powdery texture and falls/flakes into my eyes while i'm trying to apply my eyeliner after the mascara and this eyeshadow. It smears across the creases of my eyes and is hard to wipe out of the creases...
So, overall, its acceptable...if color is what you're searching for. But if texture of eyeshadow bothers you, I would reccommend seeking out a different brand.
-Really, i have a love-hate relationship with this eyeshadow...-

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2009 6:16:00 PM More reviews by spiderleenie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used this eye shadow all throughout high school (and most of college). Up until recently, I've been a minimalist/simpleton with makeup, so Cover Girl's eye shadow was just fine for me. Just slap some color on the eyelids, and walk out the door. For that purpose alone, I think these are great.

Speaking from experience, I think that this eye shadow is inconsistent. Different colors have different qualities. I've always found that the lighter colors worked better. And as for blending, I don't recommend using this stuff if you plan on using more than one color. The shadow is quite powdery and can be difficult to blend.

I've moved on to other brands, but if you're just starting with makeup and you don't want to be fancy, then go with this. To be honest, I still buy this eye shadow in the white color and use that as a highlighter and it works fine for me in that purpose.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2009 8:35:00 PM More reviews by lenajc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I haven't used Cover Girl eyeshadows in a while but the last time that I've tried, they were a bit dusty. The same is true of Maybelline. I usually stick with Revlon or Avon eyeshadows which work pretty well for me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 11:37:00 PM More reviews by MES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Even among drug store brands Cover Girl has always been on the cheap side. At just $2 for an eyeshadow I figure why not. I bought Lime Alive, which was new for summer '08. It looks very bright lime green in the pan, but applies closer to yellow. Once applied the color is somewhat sheer.

I was a bit disappointed in the products consistency. It's a bit chalky/cakey and could stand to be more finely milled.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 2:22:00 AM More reviews by pattyshine

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I purchased the Cover Girl eyeshadow in Sands (shimmering) Even the darkest shade in this trio is light, but a full color. I love these shadows. They are very light, smooth, and easy to apply. I can hardly ever find a "brown" tone I like. I wear neutral shadows, and I use Mary Kay hazelnut a lot. In fact, I go through pan after pan of this. Back to the Cover Girl Sands - very nice. I would buy again. One drawback is when you take the security tape off, the name of the shadow goes with it. I wish they and other cosmetic companies would label their products more carefully, and this goes for many high end perfumes!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2008 9:13:00 AM More reviews by kristabunni

katield seems to be quite an intelligent human being - read her review.

as for my own addition - this product, well, to be perfectly erudite and to the point, sucks.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2008 11:16:00 PM More reviews by tonyavicci

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've only tried drug-store eye shadows, so I can't comment on how Cover Girl shadows compare to department store shadows. But Cover Girl is definitely my favorite drug-store brand. I love the color selection, especially Shimmering Sands and Soft Blossoms, they look amazing. These two trios are definitely my signature colors. I can't find color in the other brands that I really like. These look great on, and last all day for me. I plan on trying Urban Decay eye shadows soon, because it looks like they have an amazing eye shadow collection. I'll have to see how it compares.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2008 6:21:00 AM More reviews by jenniferlm21

really like cover girl eye shadow! one of my favorite brands in everything

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2008 6:27:00 PM More reviews by katield

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I used to use this crap back in high school when I didn't have a car and didn't know any better, so I just bought stuff from the drug-store because it was within walking distance. Now, I still buy things from the drug-store all the time - I'm not a snob - but eye-shadow is not one of them. There's a severe difference in quality compared to department store brands. I know spending $17 on eye-shadow seems crazy if you can get it for $4 at CVS, but I'm telling you, they're not even close to being the same product.

Cover Girl seems, to me, to be one of the worst. Aside from the loose powders, these are just terrible. Come to think of it, most drug-store brands carry pretty good loose powders. Anyway, the traditional shadows are bad. They're difficult to blend, almost always too matte looking despite whether or not they're "pearl" or whatever they call it. The slab of shadow breaks all the time, for no good reason. I have to put on like 20 applications of it if I want it to actually show up and it doesn't even stay on. After a few hours I have some shadow in my crease and that's about it.

Some people might think, "Cover Girl's fine, it gets the job done" and I thought that, too, until I actually bought some quality shadow. Honestly, Cover Girl isn't even that cheap. . I mean, if it's Wet n Wild or whatever that's like a dollar, fine, you're allowed to suck. But Cover Girl has this giant ad campaign, they've been around forever, and have yet to improve or lower their prices. I don't think their shadow is anywhere near worth $4. It certainly isn't 4x better than Wet n Wild, as their price would seem to indicate.

I have a palette from Urban Decay that I bought a year ago with nine shadows in it. It was $30. That's actually cheaper than buying 9 Cover Girl shadows. I have almost all of each shadow left and I use them basically everyday because they're amazing. They don't fade throughout the day, they're vibrant, very easy to blend, etc. Basically everything Cover Girl is not.

I know it's tempting to buy this stuff. I STILL am tempted to buy it because all the colors look so nice and fresh but they will NEVER look that way on your face. It's not like I have the money to go buy department store shadows at my whim, but if you invest in a few good ones, they'll last forever and you'll never need or want this brand again.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2007 9:03:00 PM More reviews by molly111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i have several of these and yes they are hit or miss. i use the light colors (bedazzled biscotti, mauveberry, rosy outlook) under my brow, as an enhancer. the dark colors are tough to blend. i don't think that i've ever actually finished an entire pan of this stuff - it does get weird after a couple months of regular use. i don't know if its the oil from my skin transferring to the applicator and then to the shadow or what. the color i've had best luck with is 'golden sunrise' goldy and shimmery and i sometimes use that one on my lids and line underneath with it too. not the worst (try maybelline's shadows- UCK!) but definitely not as awesome as Urban Decay.