Vaseline Vaseline

Price: $

Price: $

White Petrolatum

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I buy this in a tube. This is HG for life! I use it under my eyes and only just a tiny dot of it. I use it when I get a dry patch on my face. (On damp skin after I wash my face.) It seals in moisture, does not trap heat in, and does not break me out. I have rosacean, sometimes dry, sometimes breakout prone skin and this has never done anything but help fix my problems. Granted, I do not slather it all over my face so I don't know how it works as an all over facial moisturizer. I would be open to using it all over my face though. It's also good for dry feet. Petroleum jelly gets alot of hate from people I know but it works amazingly well for me.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have talked trash about Vaseline in the past. The texture/finish is just so disgusting, heavy, and tacky. However now that I've spent hundreds on eye creams (Algenist, Shiseido, Origin, Clinique...ect) and tried everything under the sun, I've returned to giving Vaseline another try. All of my skincare friends rave about it. But truthfully, it was EltaMD Intense that inspired me to try Vaseline again. EltaMD Intense is $15 (dirt cheap) for 4 oz yet it's only one ingredient off from Vaseline.

The trick is to apply this to damp skin. I NOTICE A HUGE DIFFERENCE applying it to dry skin vs damp. Vaseline itself can not really moisturize your skin as petroleum can't penetrate pores. However it can easily trap in hydration. I upped my chemical exfoliation recently and this has been a miracle worker. Eye creams are pretty much a scam considering the conditions to keep the undereye area supple are so basic. You just need moisture, sunscreen, and a chemical exfoliator.

For the longest time I believed Vaseline broke me out but it turns out there were a ton of other factors at play. My skin is actually a lot happier with added moisture, and I'm oily!

Edited to add: I still feel like EltaMD Intense and Vaseline are very different from one another. EltaMD Intense moisturizer melts into skin whereas I can feel Vaseline sitting on top.

Edited to add: Vaseline won't work for everyone since skincare is very your-mileage-may-vary. *My skin* personally can't handle anything plant based (IE coconut oil, olive oil, extracts, ect) so petroleum fits the bill.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I use this on my face as a moisturizer day and night. After going on Differin, my skin has become very dry and tight. Any other moisturizer I used had left my face dry, stinging, red, and irritated. Vaseline was the only one that actually worked and did not irritate me. In the morning, before I put on my makeup I apply Vaseline, and blot off the excess using toilet paper. You need just the smallest amount, and then rub it between your hands to warm it up and melt it, otherwise you WILL apply too much.

I was worried about breakouts too, but the size of the molecules in Vaseline are too large to get in and clog your pores. I noticed that my skin has not broken out yet, and I have used this for 2 months now.

I would not use this if I had normal skin because it feels greasy. However, I do recommend this to those who are also on medication that may be drying their skin out, or for those with severely dry skin. Packaging is unhygienic, but I don't think that they could put this in a pump due to the consistency. Price point is beautiful.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Don't use this on my skin but rather more traditionally for my lips and recently eyelashes! Has really helped condition them and I have noticed a significant difference in their length when I apply mascara, I rarely reach for my falsies now! Whenever I'm going to sleep or not wearing makeup I'll rub some across my lips then on my lashes, wouldn't be without this staple product!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Just started using this for my rosacea ridden skin. I pat it on my cheeks after cleansing at night to lock in moisture. I was scared to death because my skin is highly reactive and I get pimples if the wind blows. This smooth's out the flakiness without breaking me out so I happy.
11/6 update
This has truly been a godsend and I can't believe I never tried it before. It is slowly repairing my acne /rosacea ridden skin.
1/12 update
I use this more on my forehead and chin but it's been clogging my cheeks a bit so I'm going to stop using it there.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

petroleum jelly should NOT be used on the face unless you're planning to get clogged facial pores and cause dirt and oil build up that will end up creating acne...be sensible and reasonable people. otherwise it's useful for moisturizing lips, lashes and eyebrows.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to have the oiliest skin. I have been using so many reputable brands for oily skin. They only matte my face for a few hrs, come mid day my nose is super oily that I'm afraid US will invade it. So I give vaseline a try after reading about it in reddit skincare addict, I patch test, doesn't clog my skin. I been using this for a month as night cream. I love it. Just a thin layer. In the morning my skin is so soft. No more oily skin.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Mom was right again! Vaseline at night as a face cream works amazingly. I wake up with softer and more even skin. Of course I had to go off and try expensive face creams that all left me with acne and redness...but I'm now crawling back to this. It's cheap, multi-purpose and fragrance/irritant free. Try not to buy the generic (store) brand as they often contain extra ingredients and fragrance.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

This tiny tub kicked the crap out of me. I only used this ONCE and my face turned into a raging mess. I picked this up based on recs to lock in moisture for winter dehydrated skin. At night, I preformed my same old skincare routine but topped it off with a very thin layer of vaseline. I went to bed looking like Brutus from Popeye. Big ol greasy face. I woke up with pretty smooth looking skin. I just rinsed my face quickly with lukewarm water and applied my usual spf and moisturizer. I put on my ususal foundation and nope...bye. Skin looked so weathered! I looked like I was lost at sea for months. How can this be? Also, it immediatley caused a large breakout all along my jaw line and chin. However, no clogs probably because this was a one time use. I sit here now with a peel on my face trying to burn away the sins of the jelly. Overall, I am very reactive to products so I wasn't too surprised that this didn't work for me. However, many women for many years swear by this so it is worth checking out.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Vaseline has saved my skin during the super dry winter season! During the winters, no matter what moisturizer i use, my skin will always end up with dry patches which makes it really hard for me to apply makeup. I have managed to make vaseline save my skin! Here's what I do:

1) wash face with cleanser
2) moisturize quickly while skin is still damp
3) apply vaseline once moisturizer sets in

I only do this at night, and this makes my skin perfect the next morning for makeup.