July 23, 2014 | 1616 users online

Powder - Youngblood - Loose Natural Mineral Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 6/11/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by rosanabonaparte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I am very unhappy about this purchase. The product looks cakey on my skin - i can see every pore and, no matter how lightly i use it, i still look like i have lots of makeup on. Also, the powder has an incredible skill for finding fine lines in my face that no other powder has ever found before, and for setting into them. Also, it somehow makes the skin between my eyebrows greasy (dont ask me how - another incredible skill) and looks really horrible and caked up in the grease. Touch ups only accentuate the problem.

The packaging is that pot with holes that everybody hates. A least it makes it easy to spill and lose this horrible product.

I bought this in Europe so I paid around twice as much as people in the US. I thought it was a good product that would justify the price. I was very wrong.

Man, don't buy this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by NataLaLa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

OK brace yourself, I go into A LOT of detail here.

I have been using YB loose powder foundation for over 10 years so obviously I find it is doing something right. My skin has aged (10 years is a while in skin years), I have relocated from a dry to very humid and hot climate, and I have annoyingly sensitive skin. I first tried YB because I suffered from acne and was concerned about not only coverage, but also using a product that would not clog my pores or aggravate my skin. I also had issue finding suitable shades, wanted an ethical, non-fussy product and was ready to try something new (i.e. going from liquid foundation to loose powder, nuts!).

Pros
1. Colour - I have yellow/olive toned skin and most other (mineral makeup) companies cater(ed) for pinkish tones, or their olive-skin options were greyish/ muddy. I find YB colour brightens my face and is never dull or muddy (I started with Soft Beige and now use Warm Beige).

2. Application - Goes on evenly with a matte effect. I have both the YB primer and rice setting powder, but I only use these when I need heavier/ more resilient coverage (i.e.: going out or doing something fancy). The product on its own is sufficient for daily use. I do not recommend the YB brush as it sheds terribly and sticks to the skin - I use eco tools, vegan retractable kabuki.

Please note: I live in a humid, hot climate and my face perspires quite badly, so I have a towel on hand to 'dab' any moisture/ perspiration right before application. I read some reviewers preferring the product to 'stick' to their 'moist' skin, whereas I prefer the opposite: clean dry skin and a clean brush so that the product does NOT stick, rather 'glides' over the skin (be sure to clean your kabuki brush every couple of months or so).

Personally I will NEVER return to fussy makeup sponges, or grubby 'foundation' paw prints on everything. It can take a bit of getting used to and trial and error (different brushes, skin prep, climate changes etc) but I love the loose powder + kabuki brush application and recommend persevering.

3. Finish/Coverage - An even, matte finish that can be as light or heavy as required. I have often used this to cover bad acne and scars. Can be used as a concealer when used with an appropriate brush, or with a finger and a bit of water/ cream/ spit if desperate.

4. Wear - Feels light on the skin, can tingle* and definitely 'drifts', especially if you have oily skin or have facial perspiration. Fortunately this is easily remedied by touching up/ moving around with just your fingers/ makeup brush/ more product. If you are used to a long wearing, photo-finish foundation, I think YB would really bug you. I am happy to use a more natural, non-irritating product in exchange for less-perfect wear.

5. Non irritating/ non comedogenic - This product does not aggravate my acne or sensitive skin, and in fact seems to calm any redness.

6. Packaging - Unlike other loose powder mineral foundation, the YB lid sits firmly against the container so you have full control over how much product is emptied out for each use. The container is also flatter and wider than almost every other mineral makeup packaging, which makes carrying and application so much easier. Not sure why these proportions are not the norm.

7. Longevity - I wear foundation at least 5 days a week (for work), light-medium coverage, and I only buy a new container 1-2 times a year. Being dry it does not go 'off', and being concentrated you do not need to use much to achieve the desired level of coverage.

8. Ethical - YB does not test on animals and most products in their range are vegan.

Cons
1. Quite expensive, but this is hardly an issue given how long it lasts and the quality of the product.

2. *Contains Bismuth Oxychloride (makes my skin tingle some days but never causes breakout/ sensitivity, only temporary sensation). This is really the only reason I would consider using another product (I will be testing MUSQ mineral foundation shortly as a comparison).

3. If you are used to liquid/ chemical-based makeup, it can take a while to accept that the coverage, application and wear is a bit different to makeup that is designed to 'bond' with your skin.

Over the last 10 years I have obviously tried and used other foundations (mainly gifts at the high end: Prada, Christian Dior etc.), and although these were often lovely to use, none met all my requirements as what YB does (mainly cruelty and perfume free), so I have only ever purchased and repurchased YB since I started using this product.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I found this product to be absolutely awful. I used a great primer, high end brushes and it still left poor results. The shade was way to orange and the shade below and above the one I purchased did not fair better. After it settled it looked like a hot mess. The coverage was so so. The packaging is nothing spectacular and yet the price of this is quite expensive. I have used Mica Bella, Bare minerals and I am now trying a third. The Youngblood was used once and then sold online. I have never been so disappointed in a foundation in my life.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/28/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by TeishaBloss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I hate writing bad reviews but this one is a must. Such a waste of money when my hopes were so high. I don't have problem skin or scars to hide and this still looked so bad. Way too chalky and does not last at all. Will never buy again that is for sure. Many other better products out there for the same amount or cheaper that will do a much better job. Just my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 11:33:00 PM More reviews by eifffrank

This makeup is amazing. It is designed to cover surgery scars, so most times the coverage is great, and I always get compliments on my skin. It really adds a nice glow. The downside is that the packaging is annoying, although easy for travel, I think it allows for wasted product. Another downside, but I think this applies across the board for loose mineral makeup, I find it doesn't really 'stick' to my skin if there isn't enough humidity in the air. Nevertheless, I have not used a better overall product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 4:17:00 PM More reviews by cm11fernandez

I actually have dry skin that becomes patchy without correct hydration. When I first used this makeup I tried the loose. I have to say it applied smoothly and did not look cakey at all. I think someone mentioned, it's all about the right brush and i definitely agree. These kinds of foundations can be over applied quickly. I also love the pigment, you wouldn't believe the look it gives you. It looks as though you are wearing liquid. I also love the bronzer, a little goes a loooong way. So, yea it is expensive, but you end up using less so it amounts to about the same as buying drugstore, except this is actually good for your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by anonyym

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well. First; If you don't have oily skin, this is a AMAZING foundation-powder!!! It covers well, it's easy to apply, it's great for the skin, it looks naturel. But my shiny/oily skin gets too oily with youngblood. :-( So sad. Really wish I could wear it.

EDIT: I'm now on acne pills treatment which dries out my skin, and now I can use youngblood <3 weee! Only bad thing is that it rubs off on my phone, but i love it anyway

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2012 10:07:00 PM More reviews by makeuploveraus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation is beautiful, natural and so easy to apply! I am normally a loyal user of Estee Lauder Double wear but I find it doesn’t look as nice in the winter months. I was originally introduced to Youngblood at a make-up evening. I was really surprised to see mineral make up cover like a liquid foundation! Youngblood definitely needs a moisturizer prior to application. It just helps It go on smoothly and make your skin glow! The only complaint I have about this product is for me on my nose it goes shiny by 12. Not a huge deal. It just needs a sweep of product but can be annoying on a night out. I do recommend this foundation if you want full coverage and a natural look. It’s a great mineral foundation because it doesn’t look too powdery. I can’t say I am one hundred per cent converted but I am loving this product at the moment!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by XpugsX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just can't begin to describe how bad this is! I paid so much for this foundation and couldn't even get a single days use out of it. In fact, I had to remove it and put on another foundation! I followed my usual skincare regime prior to using this, so I know that I hadn't done anything different to get the terrible result I obtained with this. I am also a regular user of mineral powder foundation as they are my staple foundation item. I also did not change my primer which is La Roche Posay Anthelios sunscreen which I applied about 10 minutes prior to applying my Youngblood foundation. All of my other mineral powder foundations have worked really well with this sunscreen as it sets matte and is a good makeup base. To apply this I used the Nude by Nature kabuki brush which I use to apply all of my mineral powder makeup. I knew I was in trouble when the area directly between the eyebrows looked liked someone had thrown the powder at me. I always as little powder as possible, so to get the powder settling on top of my skin like this was very disconcerting and I could not brush it in. The rest of my face did not look much better. The makeup is meant to be used as a concealer as well as a foundation, but it made my eye area look dreadful. Every tiny flaw was magnified and the whole effect was cakey. I did not realise that I had pores until I used this foundation! No amount of buffing with my kabuki brush could get that powder right! I started to feel a bit angry that I had spent so much money on a product that made me look such a mess. I immediately got my cleanser out and washed the entire mess off. I will never use it again.
6/10/12
The reviewer by the name of makeupbyphilip works for Youngblood and has only reviewed 3 products all by Youngblood. Of course he will post a positive review of their products. Do a bit of googling and you will see that he uses and endorses their products.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2012 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Valerie84

I bought this in a trial kit. It came with 2 foundation powders, 1 rice mineral setting powder, blush, and a bonus hi-def setting powder. And a kabuki came with it. I will try to focus on the foundation for this review. At first glance, I thought that everything looked quite small and it wouldn't last past a week. But I opened everything up and dumped out a small amount of foundation in the lid. I used the kabuki and was very disappointed by the amount of hair that the brush was shedding. So, I switched to my Jane Iredale Handi brush (buffer brush) and it worked fine. I worked it onto my skin in circular motions. At first, I found it did look powdery and heavy. But after minutes, it absorbed into my skin as if it had melted. The color looks natural and creamy. However, I noticed I do have to touch up with the rice powder throughout the day. It does not absorb oil as well as I'd hoped. It does not crease or rub off on clothes which I like. It ends up looking almost like liquid foundation. I also like that it allows for buldable coverage. I do give it 2 thumbs up on coverage. So, all in all I will sum it up for you:
PROS: good coverage, buildable coverage, takes less than liquid, it is light, buffs into skin very nicely, even color that lasts, don't need to use much, doesn't rub off, doesn't sink into lines or pores, covers and doesn't flare up rosacea
CONS: doesn't absorb oil, contains bismuth ( this may cause acne and outbreaks), bit pricey, need to touch up with setting powder throughout the day,