July 25, 2014 | 1073 users online

Top/Base Coats - Mavala - 002 Protective Base Coat

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by stls

This is my go-to base and have been using it for years. Applies evenly, dries fast, prevents nail staining, you get a good amount of product for a fair price, the brush and packaging are pretty good and it doesn't turn to glue consistency. My only complain is that I don't think it extends the wear time of nail color. I'd repurchase, though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by kat7inka

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This little unhyped and often overlooked basecoat is one of my preferred bases. I bought it one day in a lunch break. I needed a new basecoat, and all my "normal" brands was sold out. I was in a hurry so I just bought this thinking that at least it was cheap. At first I was surprised at the high quality of the brush. Then I was surprised at the short drying time and how easy it made the following coat go on. When I removed my nail polish, I was happy to see that my nails weren't stained, and a few months later I was impressed that the basecoat still wasn't thick in the bottle. I often use a ridge filler and now and then a nail hardener, but if you don't have special needs, this one is truly great.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 1:37:00 PM More reviews by mischa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Well, color me impressed. I finally used this base coat along with their protective top coat for the first time 3 days ago, So far, it has survived countless hours of typing, ripping open cardboard boxes, zipping up impossibly tight boots, two showers a day, a lot of hand washing, a load of dirty dishes without wearing gloves and helping my friend deep clean her apartment last night (again, without gloves). I'm usually not quite this hard on my nails, but I still end up having to redo my nail polish every couple of days primarily due to tip wear, if not a small chip or two. Not after using this. I barely see any tip wear, let alone a chip. I've tried base and top coats from Chanel, Rescue Beauty Lounge, CND, Seche Vite, Poshe, Deborah Lippman, OPI, Essie, and some drugstore brands. I've also used the Mavala ridge filling base coat and their MavaDry top coat. I've even got the Zoya base/top coat on order and I wish I hadn't bothered. The Mavala 002, along with their ColorFix top coat, is by far, the best combination I've used. Will most definitely repurchase.

**Update: My polish didn't chip until I ripped open 3 Ikea Helmer drawer units boxes and assembled them the other night. And the chip was only on one finger and *barely* noticeable--just at the tip. I could have gotten easily another day or two out of it. The fact that this manicure lasted this long is a miracle for me. I'm going to try the Zoya base/top coat combination with the same exact nail polish and see how that fares in comparison. But otherwise, I'll be buying Mavala from here on out!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 3:34:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

Its quite a good basecoat. I like the fact that its sticky and makes the polish adhere more. I get good wear using this. I would buy this again but it is pricy especially for a 10 ml bottle.

EDIT: Stained my nails when used in 1 coat under a bright pink polish. Have to use to coats of base coat to avoid that - which is unusual for a base coat in my experience. Don't think will buy again...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2010 2:44:00 AM More reviews by marlin

I like this base coat. It tries quickly and protects my nail from turning yellow as I wears nail polish on my nails all the time.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2010 8:36:00 AM More reviews by anarpo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently had the world's greatest manicure and the tech used this over Duri Rejuvacote - the tech says it was like putting a layer of velcro on the nail and that the actual polish would really stick and not chip. I am very doubtful of that usually. My nails are always a mess b/c they chip so quickly and easily. Lo & behold, it took 5-6 days before I saw my first official chip. That's a record for me. I am going this evening to the nail salon to purchase both of these products. Love them.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2009 4:01:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This is a good base coat for nails that are normal. It's not good for nails that are dry because denatured alcohol, a drying ingredient, is listed third on the ingredient list.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by lapome

My nailpolish used to chip like mad... it was not until I switched to Mavala 002 Protective Base Coat that I discovered (as I suspected) that the Avon base coat I was using was the culprit. With Mavala 002 the chipping problems are gone (just normal tipwear). I mean no chipping at all, regardless of the nailpolish brand. No stained nails either. Applies easily and dries reasonably quickly. I am halfway through my first bottle, but I'll sure stay loyal to this product and repurchase. In case anyone is wondering, this is a standar 10 ml bottle, not the mini Mavala size.

My only objection: the product glues the cap to he bottle. Be sure to rub some vaseline around the bottle neck to prevent this problem. The cap is pretty good quality, though, because it resisted my rather aggresive methods to reopen the bottle.

Ingredient list: Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Alcohol Denat, Nitrocellulose, Tosylamide/Epoxy Resin, Polyvinyl Butyral, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Etocrylene, Green 6 (CI 61565)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2007 12:56:00 AM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm loving the new dark shades of polish, but even with two layers of base coat my nails were staining. Until I discovered this little beauty. No more stained nails, and I could swear my manicures look twice as good!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2005 8:05:00 PM More reviews by SwedishGirl26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This a super-great base! Really makes nailpolish Last & last & last! Makes my nails really superstrong! Packaging Quality is awful though!