December 22, 2014 | 971 users online

Shampoo - Pureology - Pure Volume

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2014 3:51:00 AM More reviews by iLoveYoutwo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just awful in everyway. I would give this shampoo and conditioner NEGATIVE stars if I could. I got pushed into buying this product from a hairstylist in a salon, he promised me this would be a great product for volumizing. Sadly did not live up to that promise. To be blunt it is one of the worst buys of 2014.

1) $60 + TAX for shampoo and conditioner that is crap quality
2) This shampoo STINKS!!! I HATE the way my hair smells after I wash with these products.
3) Makes my oily scalp OILER, and dry ends DRIER. Awful.
4) Doesn't make my hair shiny at all.

60 bucks down the drain.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2014 6:23:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

I treated myself to a trial bottle of this as a birthday gift to myself, mostly to satisfy my curiosity around the hype that this brand in general seems to get. My hair is very oily and fine, so I welcome any product that gives even a little lift and volume to it.
I've been using it for almost a month now, and my hair has been looking much fuller and much bouncier the day after I wash it with this (no conditioner or styling products afterwards. I think this one actually delivers on its volumizing promises. I don't particularly love the smell, it is a bit masculine for my taste, but don't think it's horrible or overpowering in any way. A quarter-sized amount lathers up really well, and my hair feels really clean.
As far as retaining color goes, I don't really feel qualified to give my opinion one way or another, mainly because I use henna on my hair, not conventional dyes.What really hurts though is the pricetag. I knew it was going to be expensive, but even the price of the trial bottle caused me to raise an eyebrow. I don't think I can justify the high price, even though it is nice, just not amazing.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2014 8:23:00 AM More reviews by seaglass12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well being a fan of the "Old Formula", I contacted the company and questioned them as to whether or not the "New Original Formula" which is the "Extra Special Care" Volume, was actually the original with the same exact ingredients. I have to say after asking them several times the same question, I did not get a straight answer. They just said I "should" get the same results as the original formula. So I tried it for two weeks and I can tell you it is not the original. Left my hair dry and lifeless. My hair has been falling out as well. I dont know what they did but I certainly wish they would bring the REAL original back as I loved it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by Star37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have very fine, shoulder length hair with some layers that do help add some body, but it's still very hard to get my hair to not look completely flat. I also don't like using styling products very much so I look for shampoos that do the trick without me having to add gooey stuff to my hair aftewards that usually doesn't work either. After reading rave reviews on other websites about this shampoo, I finally caved in and dished out $60 for the shampoo and conditioner at Ulta. I was really hoping it would work because it's very hard to find voluminzing products that actually do what they promise. I know there was an issue with the formula being changed about a year ago so I made sure to buy the volume shampoo with "Ultra Care" on it which is supposed to be the same as the old formula everyone loved. It was an utter disappointment. It lathered well, didn't smell too bad, and I was also able to detangle my hair very easily afterwards. That's where the positives ended though. It did nothing for my hair, not even the slightest bit of volume. I'm realistic and don't expect to have huge hair just because I use a certain shampoo but this shampoo seemed to actually make my hair flat. I will keep searching for a volumizing shampoo that really works. For those ladies like me that really need an added boost, try washing your hair and not detangling it until it's dry. Then use a wide toothed comb to carefully brush out the knots. My hair gets really poofy when I do this. A little too poofy, so I wash at night and sleep on it and by mornnig it's a good kind of poofy. However, when I want to wash my hair and go out, I have no tricks so I will continue to find a good volumizing shamppo that does work. For me, it's not this one. By the way, I went back to Ulta and returned it with no problems.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by 2girlsNcounting

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I made it 5 days with out washing my super oily hair after using this Pureology Volumizing shampoo!
It smells awful. Even my 3yr old told
Me my hair hair stinks.
I usually can barely get 3 days between shampoos because my hair is so oily. Day 2 & 3, my hair is usually in a bun.
But not after I tried this shampoo! I didn't use dry shampoo spray until day 4 & 5. I was amazed
Too bad I can never afford to buy an actually bottle of this. I had a few sample packets.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by itsmefarah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews, I definitely want to try the OLD formulation of this shampoo, but I'm not sure how to tell if the Ulta I want to buy it from is carrying the old or new formula. Anyone know how to distinguish the bottles? Ingredient list? Any help would be great. Thanks!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2014 6:47:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just got a bottle of this shampoo and I've never used the old formula so I can't compare the two. Maybe its just me, but this barely lathered at all. It felt creamy. The scent reminded me of Yonka skincare products, its kind of strong. I don't think I would purchase again. I prefer Joico KPak.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by lenlen9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hmmm, not sure if they changed the formula because my new (ish) bottle of this shampoo now leaves my hair flat and tangled and I haven't done anything different nor introduced a different product. I've been using this for a year prior to the bad experience and it has always given my hair volume, bounce, body and shine. Now, I can't seem to get the same results I once did. I'll give it more time and finish up this bottle and then I'll re-assess the situation. For now I'll give it 3 lippies. It was a 5 lippie product before. This shampoo is also on the pricy side so if nothing changes I will have to switch it up and try the other shampoos in the Pureology line.

EDIT: Got a new bottle of this shampoo (no I didn't finish the older bottle) because I was told it was back to the old formula. What a HUGE improvement! My hair is back to being bouncy, voluminous with lots an lots of movement. Yay! Back to being 5 lippies! One good reason for Pureology to follow the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" advice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very good shampoo, absolutely love it. It has no sulfates and leaves my hair smooth and "big". I was told to look for zerosulfates instead of sulfate free, as "sulfate free" may still contain different sulfates.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2013 11:38:00 PM More reviews by cainca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

They changed the formula - it is now drying and makes my hair a knotted, tangled and dry mess. I hate the new formula and will never buy it again. I had LOVED it for years and years. The old formula with the "moisturizing conditioner" was the perfect combo for my fine and slightly oily hair. I see I'm not the only person here upset by the new formula and feeling it is too drying and tangling - maybe they'll change it back. Until then avoid this product. Pureology please change it back!!!.

UPDATE 11/24/2013: I AM TOLD THEY ARE GOING BACK TO THE OLD, ORIGINAL FORMULA ANY DAY NOW.

**Update 12/21/13 -- they're back to the old, original wonderful formula. In fact I think they improved it. Once again this is a great product!!**