September 1, 2014 | 1244 users online

Hair Treatments - Redken - Smooth Down Butter Treat [DISCONTINUED]

image 0image 1image 2

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 1/25/2013 5:52:00 AM More reviews by frauschnitzel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My hair: Curly, extremely thick, dry, coarse, and heavily processed.
    I found this pleasant enough, but more like a regular conditioner than a treatment. I'd imagine it'd be a lot more successful on less "difficult", damaged hair; mine seems to need something heavier. This worked for me as a leave-in conditioner come styling product, but underwhelmingly as a deep conditioner.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/10/2012 7:54:00 AM More reviews by dariaarz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this producrt for years, it helped to detangle my bleached hair.
    The silicons in it cover the hair and give them heallthy look but with years I reallize that it doesn acctually treat my hair.
    Now i stick to aveda damage remedy as it give the same great looking result but more natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 6:03:00 AM More reviews by cleopatra44

I have extremely long colored hair which got dried out from swimming a lot in a chlorinated pool. This did not work the first coupe of times I used it, but persevere, on my third go my hair is soft and sleek and so shiny. I am so pleased. This is what I do: Wash my hair with smooth down shampoo and towel dry. Put the treatment in your hair and massage it in. No need to comb. Put a shower cap over your hair or wrap clingfilm or a plastic bag over your hair. Cover with a towel and leave for as long as you can. I leave it for an hour. Then rinse thoroughly. Your hair will be as soft as butter!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/14/2012 6:15:00 PM More reviews by preeti33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It worked on my dry hair in the beginning. It really helped to keep my hair moisturised. Now that I have used more than half of the product it has stopped working on me. Now, its result is somewhat like a normal drugstore conditioner. Why wud I buy this product again if I can get the same result with the tenth of the price. I have found an alternative for a quick deep-conditioning with a store-bought conditioner, Loreal Professional Spa Treatment Srnsory 2. Its works amazing on my dry hair for one-third of the price of butter treat.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by prweiss65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Two words: LOVE IT.
    I have colored my hair for so long that it is now kind of frizzy, probably because it's colored-over gray hair. This product made it soft and shiny, but not too slippery that it won't hold a set when I use my curling barrel iron or hot rollers. I only left it on for the minimum 5 minutes, rinsed and towel dried, then used Beyond Curling creme (Sally Beauty's Bedhead knock-off line) before letting it dry naturally. Great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by LuHu82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My hair : fine, oily (daily washing required), naturally poker straight, shoulder length & highlighted.Mild damage from colour treating, some stress from daily pony tails, no heat styling damage (I use heat about once a week).

My hair care routine : Daily wash & condition - drugstore moisturising s&c 4/7. Redken Extreme protein s&c 2/7. clarifying shampoo, Redken CAT & Smooth Down Butter Treat under a hot towel on a weekend day 1/7.

As part of my overall routine, this treatment leaves my hair silky, smooth, tangle free and manageable. Protein treatments can dry hair, this helps to boost moisture and add shine.

The smell is delicate and the texture is easily distributed through towel dried hair. It's also easily rinsed out and doesn't leave a residue on my hair which on fine hair can leave it lank & greasy.

I know lots of people hate tubs but I like them for this kind of product, you can see exactly how much is left and use every last bit. As it is best used on towel dry hair and not in the shower, water contamination is not a huge issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2012 2:26:00 AM More reviews by judaroo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This is the best conditioner i have tried yet. I bleached my hair a couple years ago and it is really starting to break off a lot these last few months. I have tried just about every conditioner out there. I kept going back to the So Soft. I hadn't heard of the butter till reading reviews on the new line that recently came out. It def helps with the fly aways, not perfectly, but better than anything else i have tired so far. It was amazing on my underneath hair that is not as fried as the top layer. It made it silky and wavy where the pieces separated again in to ringlets. (hard to explain but if you have that slightly wavy hair you know what i mean) I forgot it use to look like that and was a little shocked at first.
    I will def buy this again. Will probably always be on the hunt for something to tame that top layer but honestly i don't know that anything can fix it once it gets that certain texture, this definitely helped though.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by thejillian

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not amazing results, basically no difference at all. Did not do anything at all for frizz, did make my hair soft, but not anymore than neutrogena triple moisture mask which is half the price. I will probably keep using it to see if there is a cumulative effect, since I have only used it twice. UPDATE: after using the treat a few more times, im noticing a big improvement in softness and moisture. It still does nothing for frizz, but overall not such a bad conditioner, actually quite nice. It does need to be left on for at least 20 min, but the results are in fact noticeable. I would give it 5 lippies, except that it claims to tame frizz and does not.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2011 7:03:00 PM More reviews by dainty77

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

So, I had purchased and used Butter Treat in the past. This time, I was at my beloved Larchmont Beauty Center and picked it up again.

(The smell always gets me! So gooooood)

Currently, I am on a quest to find amazing conditioners and deep treatments. I am obsessed right now with conditiioning my hair :) Although, the girl at the store told me this might weigh my curls down, I bought it anyway.

The consistency is thick and creamy, but it is not as creamy as Biolage's Ultra Conditioning Balm. I applied it in the shower and put on a cap to let it soak in. When I washed it off, my hair was soft, but not AMAZINGLY soft.

What I do now: In the shower, I detangle with Dove's conditioner. Rinse, and apply some Paul Mitchell's The Detangler Conditioner. Rinse. Immediately out of the shower I put some Infusium to my ends, conditioning mousse, and then I apply the Redken Butter Treat to my ends only.

My hair looks so shiny and curls so defined!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2011 12:49:00 PM More reviews by hnrenfro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

no wow factor for me .... doesnt really help smooth my hair as much as pureologys supersmooth conditioner. theres better products on the market than this. dont waste ur money, loreal eversleek conditioner and deep smoothing mask made my hair waaaayyy straighter than this did AND with ZERO silicones