L'Occitane Shea Butter Body Lotion (Lait Corporel)

3.8

Gosh do I ever love this stuff. I have been wavering between more natural skincare and the regular department/drugstore brands and this product alone has made me want to try a lot more L'Occitane stuff. I've only ever tried this and the lavender hand crème but can already tell it's a brand I will never really have issues with (my sensitive skin has proved this). The smell is light and soft but does go away within the first hour or so.

The first thing I want to get off of my chest with this review is that I use this mainly as a hand/body cream as well as a FACE lotion. Yes I use this on my face and I have been using it on a pretty regular basis since I got a sample of it as part of a Christmas present. Anyways it's great for my sensitive combo acne prone facial skin as well as my severely dry body skin. I have no idea how it works well for both but it just does. It's not greasy on my face and when I use it on my body, it moisturizes with a lasting effect. The only possible change I would make would be to have a lockable pump on the bottle, similar to that of Clinique's facial soap. This would make it so much easier to travel with, but at least the mini travel bottles tend to come in a lot of sample packs and gift sets that are readily available.

I personally find some body lotions work better in general on my face versus certain face creams. It seems nowadays there are far too many facial products with far too many actives that could lead to irritation. The simple and basic face creams seem to get overlooked and underappreciated when there are so many things out there with retinol, vit c, antioxidants, sunscreens, etc. I wish more people would realize that sometimes simply moisturizing and cleansing your skin is enough to keep it in great shape (aside from proper sun protection when necessary of course). And anyone who knows how to read product labels can understand that the cosmetics industry makes money off of individuals who think they must only ever use facial products on face and body products on body. It's about the ingredients people, not what the words on the product label!

on 3/5/2015 9:23:00 PM

This is a nice enough body lotion, but I'm not sure it really counts as "ultra rich." The formulation is actually quite thin- much thinner than I would expect from a super-hydrating lotion. As for moisturizing properties, I found this did fine in warmer weather, but it's not enough to handle my dry skin the depth of winter. I'd say this is a good mid-weight lotion, but doesn't hold up to more extreme needs. The scent is quite light, and I think most people will find it inoffensive. To me it basically smells like generic lotion. It's not bad, but it's kind of a shame. L'occitane has so many beautiful scents, I would love it if this was scented with their lavender. In any case, this is a good lotion for warmer temperatures, but it's not as moisturizing as a thick body butter.

on 8/29/2014 6:41:00 AM

I advise you to buy it only if you want to pamper yourself with something nicely scented and pleasant to use. This won't help any skin problems on the long run, especially not coupled with a L'Occitane shower gel. (I used it some years ago, when I used fragranced shower products. Since I use mild, fragrance-free products, I don't really need a body lotion any more.)
If you don't know what to try from the L'Occitane range, this is a fairly good choice. I've tried a lot of their products, and from the body lotions the almond scented and the shea in the jar were the best, even for seriously dry skin. This one was ok, or really good for a bit dry skin, and all the others (green tea, verbena, cherry blossom) were below bottom shelf drugstore quality.
Shea body lotion has a nice powdery floral smell, which is not very strong. It absorbs quite well, and leaves your skin soft. As others have already mentioned, the packaging is a bit problematic. It's really hard to get out the lotion from the bottom.

on 8/17/2014 7:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Insanely nice stuff. Very moisturizing, sinks in fast, pleasant but not overpowering scent. Taking off one lippie for the prohibitive price and I'm not very keen on the packaging since you can't get the last dregs out.

A similar lotion I like that's a lot cheaper in the Fenjal Intensive Body Milk.

on 7/8/2014 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is really nice, moisturises well, it's pleasant to use and and has a nice and subtle smell. However, there are two major downsides. 1) The bottle, though cute, is poorly designed. It's an ordeal to get the product out especially when you have 50% or less in there. I couldn't remove all the lotion and some of it went to the bin... 2) The price. Ok, this is a great product. But I can't justify paying this much for a body lotion that... moisturises. Yep, that's all it does. Otherwise a lovely product.

on 2/2/2013 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

One of the few body lotions that actually goes into my skin without leaving this greasy or film like feeling, it's not sticky, the bottle lasts a while, it does not irritate my super pretentious, sensitive, eczematic skin but instead makes it feel soothed and comfortable. Perhaps not madly hydrating, but still the best I've found so far (and I have tried loads because my skin is never satisfied), and my skin is usually super dry so it might not be of any case for other people with normal/dry skin. Looking at the ingredients, it has no harsh chemicals in it, which is an instant winner for me. Also, it has a lot more shea butter in it than usually creams with shea butter do (and those 2% shea butter creams don't do much good "shea butter work" on you I tell you). The scent is nothing to be crazy about but it's subtle and doesn't bother me. And the bottle looks cool!

on 7/21/2011 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I absolutely love this body lotion, the texture is incredibly rich and creamy, but not sticky. It absorbs quickly, so it is possible to get dressed (or go to bed) a few seconds after the application without feeling all greasy. I’m always looking forward to applying it, because it leaves skin so soft, and the smell is to die for (I would say jasmine, orange blossom). Usually body lotion is not really a priority in my beauty budget so I find the price a bit off-putting, but I can’t refrain from buying it again.

on 2/1/2010 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This body lotion has a pleasant, soft powdery-floral fragrance and performs well enough, but I have used many other body lotions that work just as well and smell just as nice for a lot less money. And I actually prefer fragrance-free body lotions.

Ingredients: Water, Shea Butter, Ceteareth 12, Octyldodecanol, Glyceryl Stearate, Isopropyl Myristate, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Apricot Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Linseed Seed Extract, Honey Extract, Alcohol Denat, Polyacrylamide, Chlorphenesin, C13 14 Isoparaffin, Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl, Isobutylparaben, Fragrance, Althea Officinalis Root Extract, Sweet Almond Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Laureth 7, Triethanolamine, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Soybean Oil, Benzyl Alcohol, Xanthan Gum, Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3 Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Coumarin, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Hexylcinnamal, Alpha Methyl Ionone, Limonene. continued >>

on 12/20/2009 1:41:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The lotion is okay, not too greasy and absorbs fairly well, but the scent! Ugh. I get terrible headaches from it. (I have allergies and am sensitive to scents, which is probably why I have a problem with this.) I use it on my legs and feet so I don't have to smell the lotion as much. Once the bottle runs out, I won't be purchasing again.

on 10/25/2009 7:24:00 PM

I do like the product somewhat - it is sufficiently moisturizing for the winter. However, the smell (a blend of coconut with florals) can be over-powering. And like some of the reviewers below, I noticed a sheen on my skin after application, and a small pimple appeared on my wrist after using this (most likely due to the coconut oil component)! I never break out from body lotion, which makes this product a definite no-buy. I'd advise anyone interested in this product to check the ingredient list (helpfully provided by a reviewer below) and get a sample. Some people may not like the runny consistency - it is really a body milk rather than a lotion.