Jergens All-Purpose Face Cream

4.3

Active Ingredients Mineral Oil; Water; Beeswax; Magnesium Aluminum Silicate; Sodium Borate; Fragrance; Isopropyl Myristate; DMDM Hydantoin; Red 4

on 4/21/2015 8:03:00 PM

This is not at all appealing (looks, jar, smell) and is mostly mineral oil pink goop. That being said, I have dry sensitive skin, and have been using this for about 20 years or more. I have a friend with oily skin who has been using this 20 or more years.

I used to try regular cleansers, which stripped my skin and did not do much to remove make up (oh yeah you turn to expensive mineral oil soaked pads in a pretty jar).

My skin was always tight, flaking, dry, irritated.

SO while this so "OLD SCHOOL" and gets an "OLD SCHOOL" rating by beautypedia, OLD SCHOOL just happens to work wonders for my skin, and it removes it all, make up, water proof make up, lip make up, and grim and dirt. I massage this into my skin, take a nice warm face cloth, and gently rub exfoliating at the same time.

I have a stack of about 15 old face cloths that I use only on my face, and I wash them separately in hot water to get the crud out. You do not need tissue cotton swipes though you can if in a hurry, I find it best to use old face cloths, soaked in lukewarm water.

SO - for $3.50 you get a huge "OLD SCOOL" tub of cold cream, ugly as heck. You do not need much. It is 1). Your Make Up Remover 2). Your water proof make up removers 3) Your cleanser 4). Your exfoliator as a gently face cloth is all you need to exfoliate your skin and 5). Moisturizer or first layer moisturizer

I find it very effective, quick, easy albeit I don't like washing the face cloths, washing cloths is a part of washing your face, dirt cheap one tube lasts me at least a year.

I keep one in the shower with banking soda as well should I want to wash up. I use baking soda to exfoliate my body (CHEAP and EFFECTIVE).

SO MOM and GRANDMA were right. Jergens would not be making this "dated" product probably came out in the 1940's or 1950's as a "cold cream" if women were not buying it like crazy. Lets face it, they can come out with a face cleanser in a pretty tube or bottle, give you 10 ounces in water that last a month, and charge $10 or more these days and make all sorts of unproven claims

MINERAL OIL does not clog your pores, as it does not penetrate your skin. So you can use this, or an expensive oil cleanser - your choice of where you want to put your money

FYI: Paula Begoun's "Beautypedia" gives this a 2 star rating and rants and raves about how it is so dated, and makes a silly comment about why you should not use this, something like "its like using the old dial up phone that plugs into the wall now that we have cell phones"

GOT NEWS FOR BEAUTYPEDIA
Those old BELL phones were 1). Free when you got a home line 2) DURABLE - so durable they never broke 3). Worked every time, no lost calls, etc.

They were not portable............

THIS CAN BE PORTABLE. I travel with this by putting some in a smaller jar as the huge TUB is not easy to travel with.

A+++++++++++++++++ PRODUCT

If your skin is sensitive, needs cleaning, removing make up, gets dry patches, needs light exfoliation, JERGENS OLD COLD CREAM is what you want in your facial regime

I highly recommend this product. I also have a bottle of mineral oil under my cabinet but find this to be a bit better and easier to use.

on 4/2/2015 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Is old school really new school? Or just that classics will never die. Case in point. And hell to the yea this vintage jar scared the crap out of me. At the same time, I was intrigued. Each time I went to Walmart, I would stare at this jar and think, 'Should I just try it? It's kinda cute with the pink cap. It's cheap. Why not? Oh, it's so cheap. It's gonna break me out. But it's cheap. What do I have to lose?' And this time, I caved.

I really should have caved a long time ago. My skin has been getting drier and drier since I've hit my 30's. Added to which the New England/Midwest winters have been sucking the life out of my skin too. It was a no-brainer ... only I didn't get it. In a world where price equals quality, you just don't buy anything this cheap. Wow, the world has got it wrong... like many things... but that's another story another day. Back to this fabulous pink cream!

Don't let the old-fashioned jar and label fool you. Don't let the fragrance freak you out either. I wouldn't blame you though, because once like you, both of those reasons deterred me as well. Well, my rational was that I had tried everything on the block - mainly high end, and my skin was still dry like the Sahara. Back to basics was my only hope. After all, who looked more radiant than the stars from Old Hollywood who swore by cold cream? I know, right? Their secret really wasn't so secret afterall. Just more maintenaince and care, something us girls should do... make time for ourselves... just that extra two minutes:)

I have super sensitive and dry skin. I knew that if this didn't work for my face, I could always use it for other parts of my body as a super rich cream. And the price tag of $3.27 plus tax for 15 oz... it doesn't get much better than that really. So I slathered it on my made-up face, then wiped it off. I did it again just to make sure but this time wiped it off with a warm wash cloth. I followed it up by Lancome's Tonique Confort (pink toner), Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair, then finally, Fruit of the Earth's Vitamin E cream. I have tried them all. This is what works for my dry and sensitive skin. Sure, the cleansing step is a lot more tedious than what I'm use to as well. Just wash and go. But all that washing was stripping my skin. So an extra step or two is well worth it to have glowing, soft, smooth skin. And after reading the countless women who have used this into their later decades with wrinkle-free skin, how can I not be a believer?

So yes, I have a mix of high and low end items. I have access to many department store brands (I work in the cosmetics industry). I noticed that not all things in a particular line perform great. I also noticed that many drugstore products outperform department store brands as well... but not always. Again, a lot of it is trial and error and everyone's skin is so different. If you are looking for a cold cream that can be rinsed off, try Noxzema. I always have that in my rotation as well and will likely trade off between this Jergens for colder months and when my skin is super dry and use Noxzema when my skin is more normal-dry during the warmer months when the air is more humid.

I love how this truly is a multi-purpose cream. It's also relatively simple when it comes to the ingredients list. And like many other MUAers, I feel so glamorous when I dip my fingertips into this jar... I feel a little bit Hollywood... and who wouldn't want to feel that way a little bit, if just for a moment, every day?

on 3/26/2015 12:03:00 PM

I've been using this as my nighttime cleanser for the past three weeks and I can't believe the difference in my skin in that short amount of time! It easily dissolves my makeup and wipes off well with a few passes of a warm wash cloth. My only complaint is the fragrance, but I've found that if I follow the cleansing with my normal moisturizer it seems to neutralize the fragrance. I now understand why this product has stood the test of time.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

This is my new HG makeup remover. I like everything about this face cream ~ packaging, scent, color of cream, etc.

Before dipping into the jar, wash my hands well, then dip out a small amount and gently apply to my face. It feels so soft and smells faintly of roses. I cut up old towels to use to remove makeup. No need to ruin washcloths. After removing makeup with a warm cloth, my face feels and looks hydrated and soft. Love this stuff. I always cleanse with a gentle cleanser after removing makeup, but some people prefer using only Jargens Face Cream.

Another pro is using this as a moisturizer at night when I feel my skin needs a little extra boost of hydration. There is a slight waxy feel (beeswax is an ingredient), but it dissipates on my skin leaving it feeling smooth and soft. If I do use this as a moisturizer at night, the texture and scent has a cozy feel to it, if that makes sense. I haven't used it as a moisturizer in the morning before applying makeup, but will have to try it one day to see how well it works underneath makeup.

If a product works well for my skin, the design on the package is not an issue; however, do like the design on the jar. It hasn't been redesigned over the years, so one could say it looks vintage. The jar itself isn't tapered and narrowed at the top like Ponds Cold Cream, which makes it easier to scoop out to use.

If one is looking for an affordable (costs approximately $3.99 for a 15 oz jar) makeup remover/moisturizer, highly recommend Jargens All-Purpose Face Cream.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is my holy grail moisturizer for after my 20% Glycolic acid peel treatments.
I love how soothing and moisturizing it is, and it has such a nice clean smell. I feel very glamorous using it, and it reminds me of those vintage make-up tutorials..I just love this stuff so much, and it has never broke me out either. And every other moisturizer I tried after the peel would just irritate my skin more and burn like fire, but this instantly soothed my skin, and after 3 days my skin is softer from using it too.
I don't use it everyday, but if I had dry or combination skin I would!
All around wonderful staple bathroom product in my opinion. This would be perfect for any type of burn, rash, etc...It's awesome and so cheap too!

on 12/21/2014 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

Benzoyl peroxide, while clearing up all my acne, has left me with dry patches around my mouth, along my jaw, and around my eyes and temples. I gave this a go after many glowing reviews, though I was very hesitant over the fact that the first main ingredient is mineral oil, which i avoid like the plague. To my delight, however, using this removed my dry patches in about 4 days, and I have no breakouts to report as of yet. will definitely keep this as a staple in my skin care routine.

on 12/8/2014 11:57:00 PM

I bought this on a whim. I was only able to use it only one time. This stung my face and turned it beet red within seconds. I could not get this off my face fast enough. To be fair I do have very reactive and sensitive skin. I passed this onto my twenty something daughter who was able to use it without any problems. I gather that she likes it b/c the jar is almost gone.

on 12/8/2014 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

This product is everything I thought I would never use on my face. I'm 54, super oily and prone to breakouts. I tried this mainly because of the reviews and the remover I was using (Clinique Take The Day Off Balm) blurred my vision no matter how carefully I used it. Anyway, I use the Jergens cream mainly to remove my mascara (the few times I wear it) and my SPF sunscreen/primer (almost impossible to wash off). When I apply this all over my face, I usually remove it with a warm wet washcloth or a basic wipe (like a baby wipe with no fragrance). I follow with Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser to remove all traces of the cream. This would probably be too harsh if you have dry or sensitive skin, but it really works for my oily skin. I then follow with a mild moisturizer like Cerave cream or plain Aveeno lotion for night. I've been using the Jergens for about six months with no adverse affects. I have never left it on my face overnight or used it as a moisturizer because I fear what might happen, but it works great as a basic cold cream to remove my makeup before I cleanse. I'm giving it only four lippies because I'm not crazy about the fragrance, but it won't stop me from repurchasing... if I ever make it through the huge jar! You get a lot of product for your money.

on 12/4/2014 9:42:00 PM

This is an excellent cold cream for the winter months. It's too heavy for my skin type in the summer when it's humid but once autumn arrives I add it to my regimen and keeps dry skin at bay perfectly and without breaking me out.

Typically I prefer cold creams that wash cleaner than this, that can be rinsed off without a washcloth if necessary, this is on the heavier side and excellent for skin that has patchy dryness like mind does in the winter. It takes off all your makeup and leaves your skin clean but well moisturized. You can even follow up with a foaming or acne cleanser and it will still leave your skin with a lot of moisture.

i have had the same tub for 2 years now as i don't use it every single night. this product is amazing and the price is very cheap. my skin can be very dry at times and whenever that happens i put some on my face before bed. by the next morning my skin is usually not dry (depending on how dry it was ) i only put it on before bed because it can make your face look super greasy. there is no scent and its very nice on my sensitive skin.