Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo

4.3

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance (2011 formula)

on 3/17/2015 11:02:00 AM

HG!!!!!!! Removes every trace of build up and leaves my long ish, straight, fine, highlighted hair clean, fresh, bouncy and full of volume. Brightens my blonde too which is a major ++++++++. I use it once every week or every two weeks, depending how much styling product I've used. The one small, itty bitty con is the fragrance. It's not very pleasant to me. But, I will gladly use it over and over for it's benefits anyway!

on 2/21/2015 2:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I LOVE this stuff! I bought my first bottle last year, used it and enjoyed it for a few months and then when I moved I lost track of it. Lately my hair has been feeling as if it gets 'dirty' really quickly after showering, so when I came across this again I was super happy. I used it from roots to ends and then followed up with a deep conditioner and my hair felt soft, clean and smelled lovely. I don't think the scent will be for everyone, but I love it and it really lingers in my hair - especially if I let it air dry. I bought my 2nd bottle today after finally finishing the first. It's a great shampoo to use every few washes to get rid of product build-up, and it's really reasonably priced. This will be a staple product for me from now on.

on 2/6/2015 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Great shampoo for removing build up and taking a break from my regular shampoo so my hair doesn't get "used to it" (making it less effective). I use this maybe once a month, it doesn't dry out my coarse, frizzy, dry hair and leaves it soft and bouncy. The scent is nice, non offensive and not very strong. I don't shampoo the entire length of my hair with this, I scrub it very well into my scalp (I get oily scalp but have dry ends) and I figure the rinsing of my scalp will wash the ends, and it seems to. So my hair never feels stripped when I use this. Will repurchase but I will get a smaller bottle next time, the 950ml giant one is too huge for the shower with no pump. I'll look for a smaller bottle in the future.

on 1/29/2015 1:30:00 PM

My east asian hair has never been dyed, only processed with heat (straighteners, curlers, blow drying, etc), it is rather greasy, I wash it every other day, and it is extremely thick.
Before I bought the shampoo I noticed my hair was getting extremely greasy all the time even after a shower, it took me a while before I realized it was due to product buildup.
After using the shampoo I instantly felt the roots of my hair being (legit) "squeaky clean". I lathered the shampoo all over my hair, including the ends but focusing more on the roots (it's the greasiest there), used my tresemme conditioner, washed it out and my goodness my hair felt like the most amazing thing in the world. It was extremely shiny and soft and clean. Love this shampoo, definitely recommend it and would buy again <3 .

on 12/23/2014 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

My dubious introduction to this shampoo came when my colorist butchered my color. Medium golden blonde somehow came out medium ashy blonde with a slight green tinge. HATED it. My stylist (different person) recommended using a clarifying shampoo. I happened to have a bottle of this, which I stopped using when I started coloring my hair. Because it is great for the current purpose-stripping the offending color out of my hair. In the weeks I've been using it, it has lightened the color considerably. Not exactly where I want to be, but back to a more bearable neighborhood of blonde. To clarify my recommendation, I would probably not buy this again unless I was in the same situation again. This would be way too risky to use on a hair color I actually liked.

on 12/19/2014 11:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Other, Warm

Everyone needs a clarifying shampoo, and this is the one I choose. I have Type III-IV AA hair that I wear in its natural state, wash and wear. I use a multitude of styling products on it (leave-in conditioners, gels, etc.) so I find it imperative that I clarify to rid my hair of product buildup. I use this once weekly and also before deep conditioning to completely clean my hair and make it more receptive to conditioning treatments. I think you'll notice a difference in the way your regular products perform once you start clarifying on a regular basis.

on 12/19/2014 11:13:00 AM

Amazing stuff! Especially for the price. I use it once a week and it's really helped my hair. Especially on the day that I use it, my hair always looks amazing. I follow it with a really rich conditioner and always use oil in my damp hair before styling too.

I notice on the day I wash with the neutrogena shampoo, that my hair is softer and styles much easier.

The bottle lasts forever since you only use it once a week. Definitely get it!

on 12/7/2014 12:08:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

me: i've super oily and greasy scalp and hair. i am not one of those lucky girls who can skip a day of showering. if i go more than 24 hours without a shower, my hair mats down flat with heavy grease. i rarely have pimples on my face (maybe 1 small one every few months), but i have painful cystic acne on my scalp every 2 weeks (the nice and deep ones that make you wonder if your scalp is severely infected or you got bitten by a spider on your scalp).
used: every single "girl" shampoo you can think of. ughhh. at one point, i was tempted to just wash my scalp and hair with dishwasher soap to cut through the grease. not even joking.
attempted to even: change diet to address greasy scalp/hair.

i know the directions for this shampoo say 1x/weekly to get rid of residue, but my hair and scalp are so greasy that i have to use this daily in order to really feel "clean" and get the kind of clean regular people get from shampoo. for the past week straight, i've been using only this shampoo, and for the first time ever in my entire teenage+adult life, my cystic acne on my scalp has been healing at a more rapid rate, and my scalp and hair feel truly CLEAN and FREE from the grease. the pain is gone.

just how greasy is my hair? as i said, i shampoo and shower at least 1x/day. the first time i used neutrogena's anti-residue shampoo, i squeezed a one-and-a-half handfuls of the shampoo into my hair, and got absolutely no lather. the shampoo literally just disappeared into my hair. it was only afterward when i decided to try a dime-ful amount more that my hair finally produced a few bubbles of lather, indicating that my hair was finally clean of grease.

in short, this shampoo is great for people who experience severely oily and greasy scalp/hair, and find that despite washing their hair daily, their normal shampoo doesn't cut it. this shampoo is also great for people who experience minor cystic acne on their scalps (i don't think this shampoo is gonna cut it for those who experience consistent and a lot of cystic acne on scalp - you're prob gonna need antibiotics for that).

so with this in mind, i think people with dry scalps or brittle hair may want to be extra wary of this product and really dilute the product a lot, because if you don't have any gunk for this product to cut through and eat up, your scalp is gonna feel itchy, tight, and dry.

on 11/27/2014 4:19:00 PM

I've been using this shampoo for over 3 years now, though I stopped using it for a year then I found the bottle stashed away underneath my bathroom sink & figured I would use it again. I can't believe I stopped using it for so long because it has helped my hair SO much, it always feels squeaky clean after I use this, it really gets the job done. I only use it every 2-3 weeks because my hair is so thick, but whenever I feel like I have build up & need a deep clean, than I will use it. Will definitely keep using this :)

on 11/22/2014 4:26:00 PM

I can't believe I've never reviewed this shampoo. I've been using it for years. My hair is fine and porous, so products build up on it extremely easily. This shampoo gently removes them, and it smells clean and fresh. A definite HG product for me.

Popular Shampoos