December 18, 2014 | 1624 users online

Shampoo - Neutrogena - Anti-Residue Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 12:08:00 AM More reviews by fromskyline

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

me: i've super oily and greasy scalp and hair. i am not one of those lucky girls who can skip a day of showering. if i go more than 24 hours without a shower, my hair mats down flat with heavy grease. i rarely have pimples on my face (maybe 1 small one every few months), but i have painful cystic acne on my scalp every 2 weeks (the nice and deep ones that make you wonder if your scalp is severely infected or you got bitten by a spider on your scalp).
used: every single "girl" shampoo you can think of. ughhh. at one point, i was tempted to just wash my scalp and hair with dishwasher soap to cut through the grease. not even joking.
attempted to even: change diet to address greasy scalp/hair.

i know the directions for this shampoo say 1x/weekly to get rid of residue, but my hair and scalp are so greasy that i have to use this daily in order to really feel "clean" and get the kind of clean regular people get from shampoo. for the past week straight, i've been using only this shampoo, and for the first time ever in my entire teenage+adult life, my cystic acne on my scalp has been healing at a more rapid rate, and my scalp and hair feel truly CLEAN and FREE from the grease. the pain is gone.

just how greasy is my hair? as i said, i shampoo and shower at least 1x/day. the first time i used neutrogena's anti-residue shampoo, i squeezed a one-and-a-half handfuls of the shampoo into my hair, and got absolutely no lather. the shampoo literally just disappeared into my hair. it was only afterward when i decided to try a dime-ful amount more that my hair finally produced a few bubbles of lather, indicating that my hair was finally clean of grease.

in short, this shampoo is great for people who experience severely oily and greasy scalp/hair, and find that despite washing their hair daily, their normal shampoo doesn't cut it. this shampoo is also great for people who experience minor cystic acne on their scalps (i don't think this shampoo is gonna cut it for those who experience consistent and a lot of cystic acne on scalp - you're prob gonna need antibiotics for that).

so with this in mind, i think people with dry scalps or brittle hair may want to be extra wary of this product and really dilute the product a lot, because if you don't have any gunk for this product to cut through and eat up, your scalp is gonna feel itchy, tight, and dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2014 4:19:00 PM More reviews by NIkkix123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been using this shampoo for over 3 years now, though I stopped using it for a year then I found the bottle stashed away underneath my bathroom sink & figured I would use it again. I can't believe I stopped using it for so long because it has helped my hair SO much, it always feels squeaky clean after I use this, it really gets the job done. I only use it every 2-3 weeks because my hair is so thick, but whenever I feel like I have build up & need a deep clean, than I will use it. Will definitely keep using this :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2014 4:26:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I can't believe I've never reviewed this shampoo. I've been using it for years. My hair is fine and porous, so products build up on it extremely easily. This shampoo gently removes them, and it smells clean and fresh. A definite HG product for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by ThinMinti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this to strip out a demi perm.hair dye that I got from Sally's because it was very dark and my ends were darker still. I washed with this every couple of days and it removed a lot of the color. Yes, my hair was dry as straw but it worked. Doesn't smell great but i prefer it to anything fruity. I also have a theory that when you have a pixie cut like mine, your hair can handle a more intense wash.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 11:40:00 PM More reviews by msdixiemom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product has been a constant product in my shower for 10+years. I use it faithfully once a week, and yes, I have thin, dry, color treated hair---- I use a lot of styling products and this gives me a weekly fresh start. And no, by using it only once a week, a don't see a massive stripping of color-- but I do notice fresh, soft, shiny hair. I just follow up with a good conditioner afterwards. My daughter has long, thick, super curly hair and swears by this amazing shampoo as well.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by akmcarpenoctem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have not tried really any other clarifying shampoos but I LOVE THIS CLARIFYING SHAMPOO! Someone below described it perfectly... it smells like old man cologne. And it lingers! But it's not the worst smell ever, and for how well the product works, I can deal with it. Also, the bottle is square and fits oddly in my shower caddy, but again, not that big of a deal.

I have semi-long, wavy, VERY thick brown hair. A couple of years ago I stopped using hair dye on my hair altogether due to having frizzy, overprocessed, just icky-looking hair. Since then I've made sure to shampoo only two or three times a week, and condition every day. My hair has improved in terms of "health" but I needed something to give it that extra kick.

You guys, the first time I used this, I let my hair air dry after my shower and, holy crap, it was so soft and light and bouncy. It was a little frizzy but my hair lacks a lot of moisture because I'm still searching for my HG conditioner. But overall, for the first time in YEARS, my hair felt absolutely divine!

I use it only once a week.

This product saved my hair from being desert-dry while looking like a disgusting greasy mess. Definitely worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

BEST shampoo for removing residue and product build-up from your hair. I ordered mine from Walmart for under $5. Every time I use this shampoo - I notice an immediate difference in the texture, shine, and color of my hair. My typical mousey hair color looks bright and refined after using this 'poo, and my hair feels ten times softer.

The shampoo is clear, lightweight, lathers easily, and smells pleasant. You can almost feel this shampoo striping out buildup as you lather it up. Once you rinse it out, your hair will be squeaky clean! I find using this once a week to be the most beneficial. I think because this product is not over-drying, anyone can use it weekly with no problem!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by reileyjones

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff is actually amazing. I use it once a week to get rid of any product build up. After my hair dries, it is SO soft and feels very light (how it should). It makes styling my hair a lot easier and my shampoo and conditioner lather better. I get excited when I know it's coming time to use this!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2014 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Kailyn93

Love love love this product! I have dark brown, oily, thick, wavy/frizzy hair and I have literally tried everything on the market to moisturize my hair but also keep it from looking oily a few hours after it is washed and styled and I finally found it. I have already gone through two bottles. It says to only use it once a week but I am definitely guilty of using it every two days. It made me hate my regular shampoo, that's how awesome my hair feels. I pair it with Herbal Essence "Long Term Relationship" conditioner and I will never switch again! The only thing I'm not super crazy about is the smell, it's not horrible but reminds me of old man cologne lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 2:11:00 AM More reviews by aberg1991

I'm really loving this shampoo. I use it once a week to clarify and de-gunk and it works beautifully. Be warned though, after you rinse this out, your hair feels like it's been stripped of all things good and happy in the world. Seriously, it's painful to your soul to touch your hair it feels so bad. As far as I'm concerned though, that's the point of this product and that's why you don't use it every single day. So I'm not taking any lippies off just because it's doing it's job. I follow up with Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle Moist (LOVE that stuff), and my hair feels AH-mazing. The first time I used this my scalp and hair was literally tingling from how clean and free it was after I got out of the shower. To be clear, I'm not someone who uses a ton of product, I actually rarely use any at all, but I feel like I get quite a bit of build up on my scalp which is why I use this. I also don't consider myself to have greasy hair either. Pretty normal hair, but it's thick and I have a lot of it. I also do 'hair day' every other day, I DO NOT wash every day, and when its clarifying night I can go three days if I'm feeling like I don't need to wash after two. If you are someone who is sensitive to smell, be aware that this has what I consider to be the "traditional" Neutrogena smell. My significant other loves the smell, I'm not terribly fond of it, but it's something I can get past. This is definitely a product you will find in my general beauty routine for a very long time.