July 24, 2014 | 2192 users online

Makeup Brushes - Mary Kay - MK Signature Brush Set

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2013 5:35:00 PM More reviews by annieherdez

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brushes do the job, specially the eye shadow brushes (crease and color brush) but not all of them are the same quality. The powder and blush brushes are below average and the lash/brow combo is nothing special.

Both the face brushes shed a lot. If I compare them with the face brushes I own from Estee Lauder then I must say Mary Kay's are way better. But, there are brushes like Echotools and Real Techniques that are cheaper and don't shed at all. Then, there is another issue with these face brushes: they aren't that soft. When I got them they were the softest I owned but then I got brushes from Yves Rocher and Real Techniques and those are softer and apply the product better, specially the RT ones. The eyeshadow brushes are soft enough and apply the product better than Lancome eyeshadow brushes I own. Still, Real Techniques eye brush set is better and cheaper.

Finally, my major issue is that when I washed them the first time, before I used them, the water came out black as if they are discoloring. That's disturbing and reason enough, for some people, to ditch them.

I'm going to throw the face brushes to the bin and use the other three, definitely wouldn't think of getting another set again. The set is around $42 here, I don't know how much that is in the US but definitely not worth the money just to get two usable brushes.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by lorwayk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have no complaints on this brush set. I like the case - could fit a few more brushes and be bit larger in my opinion. It comes with 8 total. The brushes are okay...the powder brush would be the best of the bunch...the blush brush is angled, it works well also. That is about the best of the batch. The eye crease brush is laughable. The hairs look cheap and you can see stragglers all around it. I bought this on eBay half price and am happy with what I got. (But mostly with the case - brushes were not that special)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by 417vsj

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this brushes. I received them as present two years ago, and I still use them.

PRO
-The Powder Brush, Eye Definer Brush and Eye Crease Brush are great
-The Cheek Brush is not my favorite, but its not bad at all.
-Mine haven't shed, not when they were new, not now after two years of use.

CON
-My Eyeliner/Eyebrow Brush broke the first week, this brush was a total a waste

-One day (after 2 years of washing them with shampoo), I washed them with dish detergent and they dried out horribly!...I know this was my fault. Before I threw them away I thought I could experiment with them. I put some drops of tee tree oil on my brushes for 10 min and then I washed them with my color repair shampoo...they are soft and nice again!

They do have some cons, but overall, I'm pretty happy with them, I think they are not the best out there, but they are good.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2011 3:06:00 PM More reviews by lexic2000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this brush set for half off ($24) and honestly I wouldn't pay $5 for it. In my opinion, the only usable brushes are the brow brush (but that is nothing special) and then one of the eyeshadow brushes. The hair is of the cheapest quality (if you know anything about brushes, you know that the better quality brushes are cut from the end of the hair, so you have nice, soft tapered ends, whereas the cheaper part is the middle part of the hair, which is cut so it has rough blunt ends). The powder and blush brushes are all but unusable. In addition to the individual hairs themselves having blunt, rough ends, the hairs are arranged such that they are not properly tapered, so you end up with splotches of color. They feel rough on the face and neither the powder nor the blush brush is very full.

Overall, I would NOT recommend these brushes. You could get better brushes at the drugstore. I gave the packaging 2 stars because they do come with a fairly nice brush pouch.

Ps, I'm not a Mary Kay hater. I DO like many of their products, but this one falls short and, with all of the super positive reviews, I felt I should share my experience.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2011 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Suzy9797

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i bought this in the 'colorburst' collection, which is all shadow brushes. LOVE! they are soft and the perfect size. they come with a little bag that i absolutely adore and can use for traveling.
i was looking for some nice, cheap brushes and i found these on ebay for 5 bucks including shipping, so i couldn't be happier! i'm not sure if they are still selling this set, but i would pick it up if you are looking to add to your collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 12:53:00 PM More reviews by zeepeople

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this set! I bought it on ebay for the makeup bag, not the brushes, and am I pleasantly surprised!!!
The powder brush is fantastic! It acts as a powder brush and buffer and is PERFECT for getting rid of fall-out under my eyes!
The cosmetic bag this comes in is pure gold. It isn't made well though... so I have been searching for something similar that may be a bit more expensive.
The other brushes are good, but not as good as the powder brush.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 8:31:00 PM More reviews by avapro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I first felt these brushes at the makeover session they were very soft. I bought these for half price. I don't use the lip brush. I didn't have any other brushes that were like these in shape. I thought they worked quite well. The packaging is very nice and sleek. The handles are good quality and looks like they were well made. However, after the first few washes, the brushes became coarse and abrasive. Particularly the large powder brush and dome shaped eyeshadow brush. They scratch my eyes and cheeks when I use them to apply. I guess the soap I used stripped off the oils on the bristles. I tried to recondition them with leave in conditioner, but they are still scratchy. I would rather get the Ecotools brushes since they never get coarse and scratchy after washing. I'm very disappointed with these brushes. And since I bought these from a Rep, it is a big hassle to return it. Ugh!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2010 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Kaylabean

This is a pretty nice brush set. No, I don't think the quality is as good as MAC. But I got this set on ebay for 15 bucks and I've had it over a year and I have used many of the brushes eveyday. My fav is the eyeshadow crease brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by sparrowoftheroses

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

These are great quality brushes, especially for the price. They are natural hair, which I have always preferred to synthetic for both the feel and blending ability. They pick up product well and blending is so easy. They did shed a little when I first got them, but after the first time I cleaned them they don't shed anymore.

I especially like the angled brush included. I keep the clear protective tube on mine when I'm not using it, and it has kept up very well. It adds a lot of flexibility because you can use it to apply eyeshadows as eyeliner. The bristles on this one don't splay as much as other angled brushes I've seen, which is fantastic. I prefer a larger, fluffier blush brush, so I use the blush brush for my bronzer (perfect fit) and use the powder brush for my blush. I currently use a Sonia Kashiuk brush for my face powder, but it sheds all the time, doesn't pick up the product as well, and quite frankly feels cheap. I am planning on buying another Mary Kay brush now that they sell one separately for their mineral makeup to replace this one.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2009 2:01:00 AM More reviews by angelixia07

These brushes are pretty awful by today's standards. You can get similarly or lower priced brushes out now that are way better than these. The bristles are not soft and they're just not that great in general. The handles are pretty simple not prettiest or fanciest but they haven't and I haven't had significant hairs fall out. The angled brush isn't the best it eventually will fray out at the ends a little bit making it hard to use it for making a precise gel eye line. The blush brush doesn't stay the softest but the big powder brush does. I mean to be honest its not the best but for the price it will do. But if you are looking for a good set and you want to invest in some good brushes these are not it.