July 26, 2014 | 1394 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Secret Brightener

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: The first time I've found shimmer/illuminating and subtle in the same product. I LOVE this for highlighter along the bridge of my nose, top of cheekbones, etc. Has two colors to choose from. The original version (not #2) looked better on my N to NC 10-15 skin. (I lean just a little warm.)

CONS: Not cheap. I think if you're trying to just use this alone to cover circles, that it wouldn't work well. (I use it as I mentioned in "pros.") I also wish they had one that was just a bit lighter with the same amount of shimmer.

ALTERNATES: Trish McEvoy's Correct and Brighten Pen has no shimmer but dries just a little chalky (on my dry skin.) Chanel's Eclat Lumiere dries just a tiny bit chalky too (no shimmer). Givency has a nice highlighting "mister" pen or some name like that.

for actual under-eye concealing (not highlighting): My new happiness I've found is using MAC's tinted moisturizer under my eyes (Yes, under my eyes!) and then Stila's Stay All Day Concealer only in the dark circles. By doing this, I don't highlight my puffy bags underneath my eyes. I've heard of people using foundation under their eyes before, but it's always looked horrible on me, until I tried that MAC t.m. Anyway, the Stila on top really does the trick of truly concealing the circles and making sure it will last even longer.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/10/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by candied

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Laura Mercier Secret Brightener is a luminizer billed to "brighten dark circles, reduce shadows and minimize discolorations." It's packaged in a nicely hefty click-pen, with a synthetic brush tip. I came across this product because I bought the Laura's Secret Flawless Brightened Eyes Volume 2 kit from Sephora, I don't know that I would have purchased this item separately to try, given its relatively big price tag.

According to the little instruction card included with my kit, LM recommends using the Secret Brightener under her Secret Concealer, with Secret Brightening Powder dusted lightly over top.

I think luminizer is the correct term to describe this product. It's a lightly flesh-colored thick cream that is luminous and light-reflective, with no noticeable shimmer or large glitter particles. It spreads smoothly and nicely, without being overly pasty or slippery. It is a rather thick formula to be in pen form, but I think if you're patient with the click dispensing, the packaging is ideal (as opposed to a pot or tube). Don't expect any color correcting or concealing properties with this pen, unless your undereye circles/discolorations are very slight! I think Secret Brightener lends a nice luminosity underneath undereye concealer, and prevents it from looking too flat, if you know what i mean. I use it daily underneath either the LM Secret Concealer, or another of my faves, KA SSE and have no problems with creasing or gathering in fine lines/dryness.

As for dispensing, be patient! What I tend to do is give the pen one or two clicks AFTER I'm done using it in the morning, so there's the perfect amount waiting for me the next day. Otherwise, in the morning rush, I'm tempted to click click click while impatiently waiting for the product to appear -- leading to regret and product overload. We've all been there, right? (thinking of some guilty offenders like Stila Lip Glazes...)

Side note: LM Secret Brightener has much less (if any) concealing power than Clinique Airbrush Concealer, which I think is fair, given that the Clinique IS a concealer. I would have loved the Clinique, except my fussy skin decided it was allergic to it.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2011 6:29:00 PM More reviews by shubanaa

This product is too expensive for what it is. The clicker doesn't bother me as much as the amount of product you receive with this purchase. I only used this item under my eyes and browbone when I was stepping out without foundation/concealer.
This "secret brightener" does a cute job of brightening under my eyes when I don't want a done up look (side note; I'm the type who doesn't mind showing off my under eye baggage.. make's me feel like I look real). But I was heavily disappointed when the clicker stopped producing it's magic today. I feel like i've only used it maybe fifteen times.

So sad.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2009 6:51:00 PM More reviews by Katie80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Does absolutely NOTHING. Seriously. Can't figure out what they're thinking with this.

Basically, it's this:

A very expensive pen with some shimmer liquid in it.

Do not bother.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2008 5:45:00 PM More reviews by Jmorton07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just got this yesterday, so I've only used it twice. But I can already tell...it's way too sparkly and too pink. I got #1. It looks more like a pink cream eye shadow. I just wanted to detract from my undereye dark circles, which is did in fact do, but it also added too much sparkle in the meantime. I'm going to keep playing with it, but I'm pretty sure I'll be exchanging this for something else at Sephora.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 1:27:00 PM More reviews by lilamyg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ehh...this product is alright...but for the price I would just buy the secret brightening POWDER which is the most amazing creation ever for hiding under eye circles.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2008 3:59:00 PM More reviews by etmg

i decided to buy this after a makeover at an LM counter. I do have problems with dark circles/puffiness and the SA explained that Secret Brightener should go on under Secret Concealer, which in turn should go on under the brightening powder for maximum obliteration of undereye circles/darkness.

However, I am just not convinced by this product. It is basically just a highlighter pen dispensing a pinky whitish sheeny product that kind of looks like a liquid version of Nars Copacabana (if you get my meaning). It goes on okay but is very hard to blend - I ended up blending most of it away and to my mind the combination of puffiness + highlighting product = super highlighted puffiness. It just seemed like an unecessary step in a complicated regime. I now tend to use secret concealer set with a very very light dusting of the brightening powder. I feel that unless you are an absolute expert with application, this use of multiple products on the undereye area, especially if you have fine lines is way too much. Especially in natural light on a hot day it is much to caked on. I won't buy this again, but am using it up as a highlighter on my browbone/cheek area

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2008 2:58:00 PM More reviews by lauraaz

I bought this product because I have very dark circles under my eyes, and I was hoping to find something to camoflage them that wouldn't sink into the wrinkles under my eyes. I didn't like this at all- it actually made my eyes look worse, like I had two black eyes! It is reflective but in a bad way, it emphasizes the puffiness and dark circles. I would not recommend this as a concealer, but I do think it works well as a brightner under my eyebrows.
I also don't like the package- I thought it would be convenient to not need a brush to put it on, but you can't tell how much product is coming out between the brush bristles- I end up with too much that gets wasted.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like this concealer. I wear it under my foundation. First, I put some under-eye cream. Then, I put this on, pat some foundation on top (emphasis on 'pat'), and seal it with a very light dusting of Cover Fx setting powder, or Laura Mercier Brightening Powder. It covers well, and stays well for quite some time.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2008 4:55:00 AM More reviews by 67tempest

Age: Unknown Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was recently at Sephora and was just browsing around the store and seen this... it sounded promising.... I already had my makeup on so I could not test it while I was there..... anyooo 200 dollars later on a bunch of stuff... I could hardly wait to try it.... all I can say is ugghhh ... what a waste.... it does absolutely NOTHING...it is a very sheer pink slightly shimmery cream in a click type pen... I think it made my dark circles look worse...it was very rich and creamy so I can't say that it made my undereyes look crepey... it just does nothing... perhaps I am using it incorrectly ... when I go back to Sephora to return this I will ask but I give this a serious thumbs down....