April 21, 2014 | 1032 users online

Sunscreen - Paula's Choice - Extra Care Moisturizing Sunscreen SPF30+ (new formula)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by purpldy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

As far as a chemical sunscreen goes, this is a pretty decent formula with some nice ingredients. Unfortunately, I was hoping for an emollient face cream with SPF and this was not it. All of Paula's moisturizer formulas, although stated for "extra dry skin" , are relatively matte on me, and I need another moisturizer to go with it . That being said, this is a chemical based sunscreen that does sting the sensitive and it does have a white cast. Overall, a fail for me because I wanted a 2 in one product to save a step, this is just a nice SPF that still needs more.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2012 9:59:00 PM More reviews by PsycSara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm really liking this SS. I use Retin-A and Clindoxyl gel so my skin is dry. This is moisturizing and doesn't sting. I wish PC had the same formula but with a higher SPF. I notice redness the next day if I forget to reapply. No whiteness left behind and MU goes on easy over top. Will DEFINITELY repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by ammasprajna

This is a wonderful physical sunscreen for the body. The texture is definitely more like a creamy body lotion, so if you're looking for a "dry" finish sunscreen you might try one of the Extra Care Non-Greasy sunscreens. I don't use this on my face because it's pretty emollient, but I love it for my body. It's really gentle and doesn't feel sticky at all. I haven't tried it in the water but I can say that it holds up to sweat pretty darn well.

I strongly prefer physical/mineral sunscreens to "chemical" sunscreens for their gentleness and effectiveness—I'm very pale so I burn easily and I don't get that white cast that some people complain of.

All in all, this is yet another PC product that I've absolutely fallen in love with.

As an aside, I would highly recommend calling their customer service for a recommendation if you're in the market for spf for the face or body, because finding the right formulation can be tricky. They carry a wide range of sun protection products and the little geniuses who work there are SO helpful and kind—they never rush you through your questions or try to upsell you.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2008 3:41:00 PM More reviews by cecilian

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a fan of this one...though I do understand the complaints. It definitely is "dewier" -- though I am dry, so I appreciate that. But, honnestly ladies, considering what you get in this sunscreen (zinc (this is critical. The other oxi...ate and avbenzone etc) irritate your skin over the long haul), antioxidants, and day-long moisturising)....the benifits far outweight the minor annoyances (pilling (can be brushed off) and dewiness. This is my winter standby -- in summer I switch to Anthelios 60.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2008 4:16:00 PM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great sunscreen moisturizer but for someone with dry skin. I have combination skin and it is a bit too greasy for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2008 12:21:00 AM More reviews by lipglossjunkee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have dry skin, so maybe thats why I haven't really noticed the 'greasy'. I get more of a 'dewy' effect with this, but it doesn't make me oily or shiny throughout the day. I just add my foundation over it and powder like usual and I'm good to go. I love that this is a gentle sunscreen, a lot of them are horrible on my face!! It also sinks right into my skin, and spreads easily with no pilling or cakeyness. I also use Dove spf 15 moisturizer, which is quite good, but this PC sunscreen is by far the best I've tried. Perfect for dry skin, imho.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2008 8:01:00 PM More reviews by shyviolet

Love/ hate relationship with this one. I did not experience the pilling problem that others have mentioned. I did, however, experience the greasiest skin ever. I put this one and I was a grease monster, there is no way I could ever show up to work like that. As though I had just dunked my face in olive oil. Worse yet, it stayed greasy looking for the better part of the day.

So you might be wondering why I gave this 3 lippies. I get clogged pores and milia very easily and this is the only sunscreen that I have found thus far that leaves my skin in great condition (surprising since it is so greasy). Maybe this would be good for someone with seriously dry skin. I saw that the non-oily formula has a horrendous rating so I will skip that one, but I will try the SPF 30 spray next.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2007 2:47:00 PM More reviews by blue79

I too am surprised at the negative reviews, I think this sunscreen is fine. Unfortunately I can't use most sunscreens because they irritate my skin, this stuff is very gentle and has never given me a rash. Plus it has lots of antioxidants! It also doesn't break out my acne prone skin, and it has just the right amount of moisturizing without being greasy(my nose used to get shiny but now with this it doesn't!). I don't find it balls up at all, maybe that was the old formula? Sure it does have a slight white cast, however it's got zinc and titanium dioxide so that's just what happens, not everyone is able to use avobonzone. I just put a light bronzer on after and my skin looks fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2007 10:58:00 PM More reviews by skinnut

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This must have been revamped because my experience with this product has been pleasant contrary to the neg reviews . I bought sample packets of this and it worked really well for me. I can't use most sunscreens but this one turned out to be a pleasant surprise. it has a light subtle ss scent, but nothing intolerable. It has a nice smooth texture, not too thick or runny and applies easily. It does not leave a white cast and absorbs instantly. Given that plus the added antioxidants - it's a winner. I only use this for the body and use the pc emollient ss with spf15 for my face. Both have been fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2007 9:11:00 AM More reviews by pallid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this to use as my daily sunscreen on my body. I like the texture, it blends in well (a little thick, but I expect that with any SPF 30 product), no whiteness, and absorbs quickly. I like the finish as well, moist but not greasy. Unfortunately, it seems I am sensitive to the chemical sunscreens in this amount (SPF 15 seemed to be fine in the same formula) and it makes the skin on my chest red and itchy for days after using it just once. Glad I didn't try it on my face. I don't think that's a fault of the product, just my stupid skin.