October 21, 2014 | 1957 users online

Conditioner - Burt's Bees - Avocado Butter Conditioner

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2012 10:00:00 AM More reviews by pasdetrois

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I had a small sample size of this product - if there were special directions, they weren't on the package. I knew it would be heavy just by looking at it, so I used half the sample as a deep conditioner, leaving it on for 20 minutes.

I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and sensed that I was not getting this out of my hair, which is very thick, wavy and somewhat fine. I hoped my hair was absorbing it like other deep conditioners and went on to style as usual.

My hair looked as if it had been coated in Vaseline. I was able to get through an evening looking halfway decent, although my hair looked dirty. But by the next morning my hair was hopelessly greasy, flat and matted to my head.

Needless to say, won't be using again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by kelleegross

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this product months ago from Ulta when I was trying to find a conditioner to relieve my dryness. The first time I tried it I had a relaxer in my hair. I followed the directions but after rinsing, I was not impressed. I did not decide to try it again until I cut all of the relaxer out. For naturally curly hair this product worked really well. My curls were soft and moisturized. I was pleasantly surprised, however this product is expensive for amount that is in the bottle. I have about half a bottle left after three applications and keep in mind that my hair is short. If you have extremely dry, frizzy curly hair then I would suggst this product IF you did not want to make a similar conditioner with the staples that you may possibly have in your kitchen.

Although, this worked well I will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/10/2008 11:45:00 PM More reviews by tarrenae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Not for Fine or Thin Hair!

This product coats the hair shaft and makes the texture of your hair very tacky.While I could see this product being beneficial to those with thick,kinky,or frizzy hair,as it would smooth down frizz,it does coat your hair,and takes several shampoos to get rid of it.The smell is very strong and I was not fond of it.Ladies with fine hair may find this too heavy and will weigh down the hair considerably.I honestly do not see any benefit of this product,as a good conditioner or mouse would work better as a styling aid then this,if you like putting vaseline in your hair you may like the greasy feeling of this conditioner.I wont be wasting my money on this again.The smell of it gave me headaches,it also made my scalp itch,and caused irritation.It has artificial fragrances added so people with perfume allergies be careful!The squeeze tube is also annoying.2 stars Not impressed with the performance of this one!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2007 12:51:00 AM More reviews by xoxo_pink24

I actually use this as a styling product. Specifically, I apply it to the ends of my hair before I straighten it. It moisturizes the ends and i really see less split ends when i use this regularly. you do have to use it sparingly when you use it as a styling aid. i have hair that tends to fall flat often, but this doesn't weigh it down when i just use it on the ends. i will definitely be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2007 3:40:00 PM More reviews by dtaler

Most reviews slash this product in their reviews either because they are misusing the product or it is being used on the wrong type of hair. For starters, this product is greasy, like Vaseline, make no mistake about it. Due to it's texture, it is optimal for thick, dry, wavy hair (such as mine is) and absolutely not meant for thin hair. Secondly, this product is NOT a conditioner. It is a pre-shampoo treatment - meant to be applied BEFORE you shampoo and condition your hair. Although I have used this product as a pre-shampoo treatment, what I really use it for is to style my hair. As far as styling products, this is the ONE AND ONLY that I have come across that allows me to achieve what I have been attempting to for years. Un-styled my hair is a pouffy frizzy voluminous mess. Generally, I blow dry it to oblivion so that is it straight and "flat" as opposed to pouffy. To give my hair a rest from blow drying, I use this product every couple of weeks and let my hair dry naturally. Because it is infused with conditioning products for the hair, it restores my hair back to health. I seperate my hair to a left and right side, applying about 1 1/2 inches (it comes out like toothpaste) to each side of my slightly below shoulder length hair while it is in between it's wet and damp stage then I brush it with a wide tooth comb and let it dry on its own. The result is a frizz-free, wave defined look without the harshness and stickiness of gel and other styling products. In addition to how it makes my hair look, I love the idea that is is 99% naturally made. I have re-purchased this product several times now and am very grateful that I finally found what works for my troublesome hair.

Note: The plastic tube is far superior to the metal one, so be weary of the old style metal tube if purchasing.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2007 11:07:00 PM More reviews by ratgirldjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this soaked right into my hair and i though that i would love it. it definitely makes my hair soft and it appears to have washed out - but somehow something stays there that makes my hair totally matte finished. now i have almost black hair with a few silver strands and i like my hair shiny. i much prefer the bb new shea and grapefruit deep conditioner - it makes my hair soft and also shiny! this was just too weird to use all time. UPDATE: i tried this again and i had mixed results. it makes my hair soft but maybe i am using too much - it always seems to make my hair dull

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2007 12:43:00 AM More reviews by lilliebet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This has been forever replaced in my arsenal of killer hair products by Better Botanicals Herbal Hair Oil. This Butter is just too thick, too greasy, smells funny and quite honestly doesn't do a thang for me. Otherwise I really love burts bees. I bet it would be great for people with really thick/textured hair, but it either does nothing whatsoever for my hair, of if I try to overcompensate by using more, I look like I should be working in a garage with a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in my sleeve. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not the look I was going for.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2006 2:15:00 PM More reviews by JudithF

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I received this as an extra on a swap. Im so glad I had the opportunity to use this. I wouldn't normally pic this up myself at the store. I recently got Thermal Reconditioning done so my tips are dry and damaged. I wet my hair and placed a good amount on my tips. It felt kinda like vaseline, very thick. The smell is so nice, I love citrus scents. I left it on 15 minutes and then rinsed out and followed with my normal shampoo, etc. My hair was so soft and silky! I love this stuff. As soon as I run out of the tube I received, Im going out to buy some more!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2006 8:35:00 PM More reviews by kelybumc

I wasn't quite sure how to rate this b/c even though I am extremely disappointed with its performance as a preshampoo conditioning treatment, it has been working great as a leave-in styling aid. I have thick, wavy, shoulder-length hair and this did nothing when I used it as a preshampoo conditioner. I wet my hair, applied 1/4 the bottle (that's how much I needed to coat every strand), put on a shower cap and then wrapped a warm towel around my head. I intended on letting this stuff sit for at least an hour, but after about 45 min. I saw that the edges of the towel around my hairline were stained dark brown, as it was clearly stripping out the ARTec color depositing conditioner that I had used the last time I washed my hair! I also have permanent color in my hair, but I can only assume that it was stripping out the conditioner and not the permanent color, since there is nothing listed in its ingredients that would cause that to happen. I'm not sure if this is a phenomena that happens when you leave any conditioner on for a long time or if it's just this one, but let's just say I was not a happy camper. I immediately jumped in the shower and was able to wash this out of my hair quite easily, which makes me wonder if the people having problems washing it out are using a shampoo that causes build-up rather than gets rid of it. I still needed to use conditioner after shampooing, otherwise I would have never been able to get a comb through my hair. Other than the extra tangles and some slightly brassier highlights (from my color depositing conditioner getting stripped out) I noticed zero difference in my hair. The next day though, I used a nickel-size amt. on my dry hair and the results were fantastic. At first it didn't seem like my hair was absorbing it very well and it felt greasy. After a few minutes though, my hair felt really soft and was much less poofy and frizzy. I think this is on par with my Kiehl's Silk Groom and it costs a lot less. I will probably repurchase for this reason.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2006 9:06:00 AM More reviews by NeeZee

I really like this for my fine combination hair issues. My hair gets oily , but I still get a dry itchy scalp. However, what I really wanted to tell yall about is one of its other uses. I put this all over my feet and hands, put on cotton socks and gloves and leave them on for 45 mins. or more. You will be amazed how soft yor feet are and it does wonders for your cuticles. You will find that many of Burt's Bees product have many uses,and this one is one of the best.