Nature's Gate Herbal Hair Conditioner

Not tested on animals

Water, Quaternium-87 (Vegetable Derived), Cetearyl Alcohol (Vegetable Derived), Glycerin (Vegetable Derived), Polysorbate 60, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Jojoba Seed Oil, Borago (Borage) Officinalis Seed Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Nettle Extract, Wild Cherry Bark Extract, Lavender Extract, Burdock Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Root Extract, Lily Bulb Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera (Sacred Lotus) Flower Extract, Oak Bark Bark Extract, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Undecylenate (Vegetable Derived), Citric Acid (Vegetable Derived), Fragrance*, Caramel. * Phthalate free

on 10/7/2015 5:44:00 PM

This works best when used with the nature's gate herbal shampoo, which I also reviewed on here. The smell is fantastic, very incense-y, almost like nag champa. This leaves my baby fine hair silky, shiny and full. I have really long (nearly waist-length), highlighted hair and it is gentle enough to keep even long, processed hair healthy and strong. This conditioner has a different texture than most. It's not thick, heavy or creamy. Another reviewer described it almost like a gel, and I would say that is accurate. It absorbs into your hair in a way that feels like it is surrounding the hair shaft and protecting it, rather than sinking in and weighing it down. This results in very shiny, bouncy and full hair (that smells delicious!) The scent lasts and lasts too. This is not a detangling conditioner so I sometimes use a wide tooth comb while the conditioner is on my hair in the shower, or else just be really gentle (with the wide tooth comb) once I am out of the shower. I put a light amount of this all over my hair too, not just on the ends and it never weighs it down. I used to wash my hair everyday, but I started skipping days (to let my hairs natural oils balance out) until i am down to two times a week and this keeps my hair looking, feeling and smelling beautiful. Love love love these products.

on 9/24/2015 12:43:00 PM

I am very big about the fragrance of a hair product. I do care about how well it works but if the fragrance is not right I will not buy even if it works miracles. This conditioner has one of the most amazing fragrances I have ever smelled. It's also long lasting. It is rare to find hair products that have an herbal scent, most smell like fruit, which in hot Florida summers trends towards rancid fruit. This is not an extremely moisturizing conditioner. It's almost more of a gel and the color is kind of off putting, a brownish shade. HOWEVER, even though I have processed hair I feel it works well. I use a small amount as a leave in conditioner as well and love it. It does not weigh down my hair and my hair looks more wavy after using.

on 9/22/2014 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love the way this stuff smells as it's right up my alley herbal-woodsy-spicy-musky but I encountered a problem I have not with any other product: weird, sticky, palpable buildup on my scalp. I would run a hand through my hair and it would feel gross and my hand came away smelling like oil and this product. The rest of my hair wasn't all that much improved. When I stopped using it the problem went away. What gives?

on 5/1/2014 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I am about halfway through the bottle now. After prolonged use, my hair became so dry that I noticed an increased amount of split ends and breakage. It also felt so dry and did not look the best, especially as the day went on. It was embarrassing when hubby tried to run his fingers through my hair only to meet with tangles.

I think this would be good as a weekly treatment to give the hair a rest of heavy products but, it really is not suitable for everyday for someone with thick, coarse, unruly hair.

I still love the scent, how it comes in a big bottle and the way it melts into my hair but the love ends there. I will alternate the Herbal set with my conventional S&C until it runs out.

on 3/29/2014 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This conditioner makes an AMAZING leave in smoothing serum! I have fine hair and use a pea size and smooth it on my wet hair. It's not greasy at all and I think it conditions way better being used this way. With that said, it's not like the silicone-based conditioners you may be used to. Your hair won't have the same kind if "slip," but it will be receiving a dose of some amazing ingredients! Using this conditioner alongside a weekly treatment (Burt's Bees Avocado Butter stuff) I have smooth, shiny hair!

on 8/7/2010 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Update 9/29/10:
I'm having to drop this down a couple of lippies and change my vote to 'no' I wouldn't repurchase. After using 50% of the bottle of shampoo and almost all of the conditioner, I've found that they build up in my hair really bad and make it tangley and dry. I still like how it worked in my hair here and there, but even after clarifying, I can't use it anymore. One use and my hair is tangled and dry. :-(

Previous reviews:

Update 8/28/10:
I've been using this and playing around with it and found out that I absolutely LOVE it!!! Using it by itself made my hair feel weird for some reason(?).

However, I found that when I shampoo with the shampoo, then use the conditioner and apply a little bit of coconut oil to my hair while the conditioner is in it, leave it sit while I finish my shower, then rinse- makes my hair soooooo silky & conditioned! No tangles, no weird feeling. Just soft, silky hair. And my hair is NOT naturally silky, it's a frizz bomb. lol But now the rest of my hair feels like the silky underside - like I've always wanted. :-) For a little extra shine I add another drop or 2 of coconut oil when my hair is towel dried.

I'm loving this set. <3.

Original review:
This is the weirdest conditioner I've ever experienced, but I'll get to that in a minute.

First - I got this to try out more 'health food store' brands because so far I have been unimpressed(Aubrey Organics Honesuckle Rose smells like diaper rash ointment and leaves my hair gummy, while Giovannin makes my hair fluffy and dry). I can't say I've been 100% satisfied with any 'type' of shampoo or conditioner(drugstore/natural/salon) except that Aveda's Brilliant line works pretty well in my hair but the strong masculine scent and ridiculous price keep me from using it consistantly.

Comparitively speaking - I *kind of* like this better for the affordable price($6.99 for a bottle twice the size of Aveda's Brilliant Conditioner) and the scent which to me is a mix of tree bark and pie spice. It's not sweet to me, but it's sweet enough that it doesn't smell like men's Right Guard deodorant. And make sure you sniff it before buying because the scent does linger.

On to the weird part - This conditioner isn't like any other I've ever used. It's consistancy is like gel mixed with herbs. And that's what it looks like too. I don't find this conditioner especially conditioning though while I'm in the shower or immediately afterward. My hair actually feels kind of coated and not really great- similar to how it feels after henna - like it has a fine layer of herbs or something on it. BUT (weird part) if I don't wash my hair the next day my hair becomes softer and feels more moisturized as time goes on. o_O Normally, I've been washing & conditioning my hair daily because it gets *drier* as time passes. But this is reversed with the Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner.

About the packaging and new ingredients - I liked the old squat bottles better even though I didn't use it then. I just thought they were more unique and cute. ^_^ I don't know about the ingredients being drastically changed either as I read something about the company getting into trouble for false advertising. I'm thinking they didn't include the *true* ingredients of their products as I read the old ingredients and I'm pretty sure that water, herbs, and emulsifying wax would NOT have made a very good conditioner. So I'm thinking the "new" ingredients are just the real ingredients listed. Of course I could be wrong...

I chose that I would re-purchase but I'm really not sure. I'm gonna try to use this line exclusively for the next few weeks to see if my hair improves or if it goes down hill and I'll update then.

on 8/16/2009 1:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This conditioner is nothing to write home about. I have thick, curly 3b/c hair so I use alot of conditioner and have tried many, many brands. I happen to love Nature's gate products but the herbal conditioner misses the mark. I don't mind the smell (woodsy) or the consistency (thin) but the conditioning leaves much to be desired. This is not a product for dry or frizzy hair. It just isn't effective enough to quench thirsty hair. I may doctor this one up with a little coconut/olive/ or castor oil. Glad I bought the bottle on sale as I will not repurchase. However, I do recommend trying other Nature's Gate hair products.

on 9/12/2008 8:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I started using this conditioner because I wanted a silicone-free conditioner to avoid dulling, frizzing buildup on my fine, wavy hair. I was surprised when I squirted it out and it was brown in colour! Guess that's a cue that it's all natural! In terms of performance, I find this just fine. It makes my hair feel good and silky, and rinses clean. No miracles, just a good, simple conditioner, that leaves my hair feeling healthy. I buy it for $6.99, and I think you get a decent amount for the price. As for the smell, I don't mind it. I hardly notice it, which is fine by me. I'd say, give it a shot if you're interested in something different!

on 10/14/2007 11:47:00 AM

The smell, oh my god the smell. It is horrible. I hate anything with a strong "earthy" scent and this screams musky grossness. I have no idea if it works well because the smell was so strong and disgusting I stopped using it after two days.

This conditioner was also extremely runny. I have never had a conditioner that was thin before.

Also, I ordered it online and the bottles leaked during shipment three times. So, three times the package had to be sent back and reshipped before I ever even received it. The packaging quality is awful.

on 6/6/2007 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

good lord do I hate the scent of this. I thought I could get past it after a couple of uses, but no; it reminds me too much of "taboo" perfume, which I loathe. setting the scent issue aside this is a very nice conditioner. the texture/consistency put me off at first and I didn't have very high hopes because my hair is dry & color treated, and this is way thin. but it conditioned my hair very well and left it nice and soft, but not weighed down.