April 21, 2014 | 952 users online

Hair - Nature's Gate - Herbal Hair Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 5:01:00 AM More reviews by MadisonBryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This conditioner makes an AMAZING leave in smoothing serum! I have fine hair and use a pea size and smooth it on my wet hair. It's not greasy at all and I think it conditions way better being used this way. With that said, it's not like the silicone-based conditioners you may be used to. Your hair won't have the same kind if "slip," but it will be receiving a dose of some amazing ingredients! Using this conditioner alongside a weekly treatment (Burt's Bees Avocado Butter stuff) I have smooth, shiny hair!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am including my old review here. I may have misjudged this product after all.

This is an amazing conditioner. My hair is thick, slightly on the drier side and voluminous. After using this conditioner and leaving it on the hair for a minute or two, I washed it off and let my hair air-dry. It does smell heavenly, btw! Scent is very strong but tones down in a week or two. The conditioner is not hydrating - at least for my hair, which is dry and crunchy, but it did make my hair very soft and shiny. Also the caramel brown colour does not look too attractive. I dabbed a bit of apricot kernel oil and aloe, to help further condition. Also I noted that if I use this conditioner often, it does cause some buildup that I am not happy about.
I am still not sure about the hidden chemicals...there is something in the conditioner that causes my eyes to water, if I use it in excess.
Overall, I am happy with this conditioner. Oh, and I usually use conditioner after shampooing with shikakai, so it is highly likely that the shikakai is also a factor in the good results!

This was my old review ->
**********************************
This conditioner has a wonderful herbal scent.
That's about it....
Bad stuff - the product is brownish (like decaying matter) and does not do anything beneficial for the hair. At least I did not see any improvement - in fact, the hair has turned stringy and there is some dandruff/buildup on the scalp after 2-3 days of using this conditioner......noticed some extra hair loss than normal....
Scent is super-strong....the kind that makes eyes redden and water. I also suspect this has some hidden chemicals NOT listed in the label.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2010 10:26:00 AM More reviews by sunshine824

Update 9/29/10:
I'm having to drop this down a couple of lippies and change my vote to 'no' I wouldn't repurchase. After using 50% of the bottle of shampoo and almost all of the conditioner, I've found that they build up in my hair really bad and make it tangley and dry. I still like how it worked in my hair here and there, but even after clarifying, I can't use it anymore. One use and my hair is tangled and dry. :-(

Previous reviews:

Update 8/28/10:
I've been using this and playing around with it and found out that I absolutely LOVE it!!! Using it by itself made my hair feel weird for some reason(?).

However, I found that when I shampoo with the shampoo, then use the conditioner and apply a little bit of coconut oil to my hair while the conditioner is in it, leave it sit while I finish my shower, then rinse- makes my hair soooooo silky & conditioned! No tangles, no weird feeling. Just soft, silky hair. And my hair is NOT naturally silky, it's a frizz bomb. lol But now the rest of my hair feels like the silky underside - like I've always wanted. :-) For a little extra shine I add another drop or 2 of coconut oil when my hair is towel dried.

I'm loving this set. <3.

Original review:
This is the weirdest conditioner I've ever experienced, but I'll get to that in a minute.

First - I got this to try out more 'health food store' brands because so far I have been unimpressed(Aubrey Organics Honesuckle Rose smells like diaper rash ointment and leaves my hair gummy, while Giovannin makes my hair fluffy and dry). I can't say I've been 100% satisfied with any 'type' of shampoo or conditioner(drugstore/natural/salon) except that Aveda's Brilliant line works pretty well in my hair but the strong masculine scent and ridiculous price keep me from using it consistantly.

Comparitively speaking - I *kind of* like this better for the affordable price($6.99 for a bottle twice the size of Aveda's Brilliant Conditioner) and the scent which to me is a mix of tree bark and pie spice. It's not sweet to me, but it's sweet enough that it doesn't smell like men's Right Guard deodorant. And make sure you sniff it before buying because the scent does linger.

On to the weird part - This conditioner isn't like any other I've ever used. It's consistancy is like gel mixed with herbs. And that's what it looks like too. I don't find this conditioner especially conditioning though while I'm in the shower or immediately afterward. My hair actually feels kind of coated and not really great- similar to how it feels after henna - like it has a fine layer of herbs or something on it. BUT (weird part) if I don't wash my hair the next day my hair becomes softer and feels more moisturized as time goes on. o_O Normally, I've been washing & conditioning my hair daily because it gets *drier* as time passes. But this is reversed with the Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner.

About the packaging and new ingredients - I liked the old squat bottles better even though I didn't use it then. I just thought they were more unique and cute. ^_^ I don't know about the ingredients being drastically changed either as I read something about the company getting into trouble for false advertising. I'm thinking they didn't include the *true* ingredients of their products as I read the old ingredients and I'm pretty sure that water, herbs, and emulsifying wax would NOT have made a very good conditioner. So I'm thinking the "new" ingredients are just the real ingredients listed. Of course I could be wrong...

I chose that I would re-purchase but I'm really not sure. I'm gonna try to use this line exclusively for the next few weeks to see if my hair improves or if it goes down hill and I'll update then.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2010 11:47:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic smell...weird brown color...rather runny...I I use it as a co-wash and it works very well so far....the BF loves the smell...inexpensive..

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2009 1:00:00 PM More reviews by sblee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This conditioner is nothing to write home about. I have thick, curly 3b/c hair so I use alot of conditioner and have tried many, many brands. I happen to love Nature's gate products but the herbal conditioner misses the mark. I don't mind the smell (woodsy) or the consistency (thin) but the conditioning leaves much to be desired. This is not a product for dry or frizzy hair. It just isn't effective enough to quench thirsty hair. I may doctor this one up with a little coconut/olive/ or castor oil. Glad I bought the bottle on sale as I will not repurchase. However, I do recommend trying other Nature's Gate hair products.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by MacEng

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using this conditioner because I wanted a silicone-free conditioner to avoid dulling, frizzing buildup on my fine, wavy hair. I was surprised when I squirted it out and it was brown in colour! Guess that's a cue that it's all natural! In terms of performance, I find this just fine. It makes my hair feel good and silky, and rinses clean. No miracles, just a good, simple conditioner, that leaves my hair feeling healthy. I buy it for $6.99, and I think you get a decent amount for the price. As for the smell, I don't mind it. I hardly notice it, which is fine by me. I'd say, give it a shot if you're interested in something different!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 11:47:00 AM More reviews by sugarlumples

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The smell, oh my god the smell. It is horrible. I hate anything with a strong "earthy" scent and this screams musky grossness. I have no idea if it works well because the smell was so strong and disgusting I stopped using it after two days.

This conditioner was also extremely runny. I have never had a conditioner that was thin before.

Also, I ordered it online and the bottles leaked during shipment three times. So, three times the package had to be sent back and reshipped before I ever even received it. The packaging quality is awful.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2007 7:42:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

good lord do I hate the scent of this. I thought I could get past it after a couple of uses, but no; it reminds me too much of "taboo" perfume, which I loathe. setting the scent issue aside this is a very nice conditioner. the texture/consistency put me off at first and I didn't have very high hopes because my hair is dry & color treated, and this is way thin. but it conditioned my hair very well and left it nice and soft, but not weighed down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2007 3:28:00 PM More reviews by ajax5455

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have fine, straight hair that goes flat easily, and styling products make it even worse. I tried this conditioner on a whim, and I'm sold. Not only does it detangle my hair and leave it soft and shiny, it doesn't weigh it down. My hair has more volume with this conditioner than it has with any other. At least for now, this is my HG conditioner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2007 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Zedar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love the sweet spicy fragrance, but I think the shampoo smells even better. This is an average conditioner that is better than Aubrey Organic's Island Spice, but I mostly love to use it as shaving cream for my legs! It makes them really smooth and is a big container. (That is why I give this product four stars instead of three.)

For my long hair, I prefer Nature's Gate's herbal *deep* conditioner (but I have only been able to find it in New York and I went through the whole jar in two treatments) and I recently found and love Nature's Gate Mandarin Orange & Patchouli and Persimmon Rose conditioners, as well as Aubrey GBP.