November 22, 2014 | 1954 users online

Fragrances - Annick Goutal - Les Nuits d'Hadrien

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 8:53:00 AM More reviews by ghoulnextdoor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

On first application Les Nuits d'Hadrien smelled a bit like musty celery but after sniffing my wrist repeatedly over the course of the next hour or so, the weird thing is...I really liked it. (The boyfriend though it smelled like soy sauce). It didn't change much over the course of the evening, except that maybe it became softer and ever so slightly sweeter. For me it seems very much a skin scent, and maybe something for those unexpectedly grey, rainy summer days.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2013 8:28:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

This one is for lemon lovers. Looking at the rich colours of the packaging and mysterious name, I guess I was expecting a love child of Eau d'Hadrien and Fleurs d'Oranger. Wrong. This is, on my skin, greener than Eau d'Hadrien, perhaps because it has some herbs which add depth to the radiant, luscious lemons of the opening. I can smell some tarragon (?) and some basil, but caraway, cypress and others are lost on me. Although I appreciate the strength and radiance of lemons throughout this fragrance, I sometimes find myself grinding my teeth because of the brightness. I also find myself thinking about the richness of beloved Colonia Assoluta in Villa. Altogether, my favourite part of Les Nuits d'Hadrien is the drydown where I get impressions of a much sought-after Mediterranean breeze and pleasant wafts of lemons. Other than this, it seems that Les Nuits d'Hadrien doesn't project the complexity or richness of its notes on my skin. It's pleasant but I'm not in love, especially at this price range. I wish my linen cupboard smellt like this though. One extra point for the lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by harmonyjensen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My new HG scent! I have both the EDP and the EDT of this fragrance and they smell quite different to me. I originally purchased the EDT and fell in love with the initial citrus burst and the herby mid-notes. I'm not the best at describing perfume notes, as I never really smelled a scent with distinct top, middle, and basenotes until I smelled Les Nuits d'Hadrien. The opening is fresh citrus and lasts about 5 minutes on my skin. Then the perfume develops a refreshing herbal scent, mostly of basil with the smallest amount of fennel. The end of the mid notes take on a cyprus scent then the drydown smells of quite earthly patchouli. The EDP of this scent has a much stronger citrus opener and the citrus seems sweeter. Almost like a lemon drop candy. The mid notes of basil is still there, but the citrus seems to stay with it, which is the biggest difference to me. The drydown does not smell of patchouli as strong either. I love both scents so much and have chose to save the EDT for summer and wear the EDP until it gets warm. I can see myself wearing this for years to come.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2010 2:09:00 AM More reviews by robinmosesnailart

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

this smells like how i imagine an orange orchard in tuscany to smell in the dead of summer at sundown. it smells of earth and steam and citrus and salty.....yet sweet and it haunts you...i smell my wrist the whole time i am wearing it. it goes into your nose and then stop...and makes you smell again...and it has no overwhelming lingering sweetness or bitter..its got that powder, but its almost like an orange powder..with vanilla..something very subtle....i am not good with languid accords and notes but if i were, i would write about this scent at length..it is very special and i love it very much.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2010 9:17:00 AM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I chose this out of 70 sample decants I got from The Perfumed Court as my number one favorite. I am a freak for lemon scents but they usually smell bitter or are gone in five minutes. This one is lemon-yellow fresh with no bitterness and with ten big blasts of the eau de parum, it lasts for hours.
That delicious lemony goodness lasts and lasts and I have not found this in my sampling of every lemon scent out there I can get my hands on.
There are also some grean notes in the background but on me it's all about the lemon in this one. I like the original eau d'Hadrien too but there is a wierd medicinal, unpleasant note that comes out on the drydown of that one that appears in ten minutes after the lemon burst fades.
There's no fading of the lemon here though. The secret is to get the eau de parum and lay it on thick.

I dislike the bottle with the brown ribbon around the neck. I can't get the cap to snap on since the ribbon is in the way. I also don't find the bottle to be very pretty. I've tried several other scents from this brand with no luck but this one makes up for the rest.

This is a unisex scent. It could swing either way.
But that yummy lemon is so energizing and refreshing here where I live in the tropics. I feel like I'm swimming in a huge glass of fresh real lemonaid.
This is number one out of seventy samples. It gets the grand prize.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2010 10:07:00 AM More reviews by opoponax

This is my current HG.
I find Eau d'Hadrien too perfumey, a bit sharp and even masculine on my skin (please note that I am not a "girly scent" kind of person and I have worn several unisex scents in the past) - but Les Nuits feels much warmer, softer, a tad sweet, almost a confort scent, but still complex and elegant.
I was planning to buy the EdP for the lasting power, but I couldn't find it locally so I had to get the EdT - I am now actually glad I did, I suspect EdP could be overwhelming, since the EdT lasts all day and I do like scents to stay close to me.
UPDATE: it's been 1 year of daily wear (which per si is absolutely outstanding for me!) and every day I am more and more in love with this scent! In the meanwhile, I also got the EdP - it is sweeter and warmer, longer lasting and just as delicious.
UPDATE 2: it's been another year of daily wear. In the meanwhile, the EdP has been discontinued and, unfortunately, the EdT does not last long. I am searching for a new HG....

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2009 4:33:00 PM More reviews by Bakterya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely adore this smell. I used to have my favourite Chanel No 5, but now I just cannot get enough of it. It's one of those smells that does not wear me out.
Plus, I don't smell like the half of the High Street, it's still very unique and rare...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2008 7:32:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

I bought this from Macy's at Mall of America and it was sold to me as a women's fragrance - I am sure this is a men's scent or unisex at least . Mine is in the square brown bottle . This is a beautiful fragrance though - I still wear mine sometimes even though I suspect this is the men's version . It's citrusy, spicy and deep. I won't buy it again though - it's not one of those fragrances that I can truly say I have fallen in love with and I must always have . Dare I say I am bored with it ?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2008 1:48:00 AM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Reminds me of lemon verbena soap -- bright clean citrus. I don't get much of the patchouli, amber and cumin at all...those notes scare me because they tend to turn sour or curry-like on my skin, but whatever there is of those notes in this scent, it is very very faint. Although Les Nuits d'Hadrien is unisex, I don't think I'd be mistaken for wearing a men's cologne. It pairs really well with Bliss Labs lemon and sage body products especially. Very fresh and summery on my skin - not what I expected, but I'm pleasantly surprised. (I have the edp, which has more staying power than the edt.)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2008 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Nickylily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

At first I preferred the original D'Hadrien, but this one in perfume form has more complexity to it. The lemon on my skin stands out for a few hours but is slowly joined by spices and a light but dirty patchouli, which normally I cannot stand. This is warm yet refreshing. The lemon really balances the spices well. It can get a little chemical smelling after the first one or two on some skins I have noticed. For me, I love it.